Discussion Forum

The Cheese Stands Alone

So I was watching random YouTube videos last night and came across a video of someone playing with a Modern deck based around Barren Glory. The deck wasn't that successful, so I decided I'll post a challenge here for all of you.

Only two rules:
1) The deck must be built around Barren Glory, ie Barren Glory must be the main win condition.
2) You're limited to Modern legal cards.

After about a month from today I'll go through any / all entries and decide on a winner with an explanation why I think it's best.

*Please check this thread's starting date before posting an entry.
Posted 19 April 2017 at 08:24

My crappy attempt put together while sleep deprived:

http://www.mtgvault.com/dedwards/decks/barren-stars/

CRAP!!!!!!!
I just realised this one won't work as Sway of the Stars puts cards in hand :(
Going to work on a Worldfire version now.
Posted 19 April 2017 at 08:26

Just so you know there is a card called the cheese stands alone
Posted 20 April 2017 at 18:02

I know. Barren Glory was designed to be a legal version of it. It's also why I named this thread The Cheese Stands Alone :P
Posted 21 April 2017 at 11:16

The first thing that I found would be, Indestructibility to enchant Barren Glory, Bearer of the Heavens for board-cleanup and Bomat Courier to get rid of your hand-cards.
Posted 26 April 2017 at 07:35

An idea I had was to ramp into Worldfire after using O-Ring on the Cheese.
Posted 26 April 2017 at 08:34

Indestructibility, Banishing Light, Cast Out, Isolation Zone, Oblivion Ring, there are enough cards in white that allow you to protect Barren Glory from a clean-up.
Worldfire allows for an alternative end (tough that's not what you're up) as you could use a simple Bolt to burn your opponent down. The problem is that this works both ways and each match against a red deck becomes a dangerous gamble.
So R and W are set for this deck. Question is do you want land-ramp then you would have to add G, or use spells like Infernal Plunge?
Posted 01 May 2017 at 06:49

Better late than never, here's my take on the challenge:
https://www.mtgvault.com/muktol/decks/wrg-barren-glory/
Posted 27 August 2021 at 08:21

I dearly miss Kaervek's Spite and Academy Rector.
Posted 20 June 2017 at 02:34