Discussion Forum

Descriptions and Commenting rework

MTG Vault has a very bland and basic format / layout for text input. Lacking in customization and proper formatting options effects the user experience and could be improved in a few ways which would help bring more attention to having the accessibility, make ease for, writing organized and easy-to-read descriptions for your decks, enabling the ability to retain information easier because having well formatted and organized descriptions rather than having large walls of text gives a more attractive perspective. Increasing the likeliness of discussion in the comment section and having prominent feedback. MTG Vault is by no means difficult or impractical when it comes to this topic, though it could use some improvement at it's current state.

Formatting:
• Colored text, highlighting
• Text bolding, underlining, italics, strike
• Headers, Footers, Text resizing
• Image-reference linking (Example: {U} = B symbol, Always Watching = Card title which you could hover and it'd display the card and details like avg. pricing).
• The ability to post image's with limitations, for those that are artistic and maybe like to create their guide through another source and then post it as an image or use images as banners, tables, etc.
• Bullets, numbered organizing, lettered organizing
• Indentation, Centering, text to left/right
• Spoilers, this will make it easier to navigate through text and enable users to optionally read these sections of your description.

Commenting:
• Ability to mention other users (Ex. @Invis = Mentioned user Invis will receive a notification, this could be useful for those referencing someone to another's deck, giving credit to and just in general bringing a users attention to something of interest.
• Collapsible comments, make it easier to navigate through the comment section which tend to get very long sometimes.

Image limitations:
• If image's would be inappropriate, and I know there is always that risk, have the ability to report a deck for such activity. If deck gets a lets say 3-5 reports in a span of 10min it's automatically hidden from the public and is put under investigation or forces the user to remove the images and can't make it public until done so or suspends the user for x length of time from making decks public.
• Image size restriction
• Restrict amount of images
• Allow images from specific sources only (i.e. imgur) or direct upload from users device in specific image formats.

These ideas / suggestions could improve the users interaction with MTG Vault and the community, it may bring more attention to key parts of the social interaction and ease of usage and navigation. I forsee much creativity and enjoyment from such additions, positive adaptability and feedback from the users as well.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you have any other suggestions or ideas to add? Disagree with something? I'd love some feedback from the community.
Posted 10 May 2017 at 09:35

I pretty much agree on everything you've said. We restricted everything down because once upon a time we had some idiots putting crappy links/javascript into comments.

Some of the stuff would be really useful and low risk, like linking usernames (although the notification is harder :P), formatting and stuff like that.

No promises, but we will work on getting it added at somepoint!!!!
Posted 10 May 2017 at 17:04

I remember that link problem. Was dam annoying. Would be nice to see something come out of this though.
Posted 24 May 2017 at 09:41