Discussion Forum

Getting started with MTG

Hello MTG fans.

I am looking into getting started with MTG with my wife. I figure that if I can get my wife to be interested that I could possible add other family members, but for now only interested in 2 player mode and will use proxies to get started to see if we like it. Now I king of like the idea of building a deck since it will also serve as a learning process. Now my main question. When choosing prebuilt decks here on mtgVault, do I simply create 2 copies of the same deck for each player? Or will one copy suffice?
Posted 11 October 2018 at 16:40

1 copy per player will be enough but I would recommend to use decks tagged with "Beginner". I would also try to explain the concept of the 5 colours to her and try to find a deck/ strategy that she might like. It can really ruin the fun if you have a player that would like a more slow approach and you give him a aggressive burn deck, or you give someone a control deck who would rather like XYZ.
Posted 17 October 2018 at 19:44

Hi!
For getting started and learning the rules, i would simply pick up two preconstructed planeswalker decks or a similar product rather than buying into singles for a budget mtg vault deck. For the second step, which is constructing your own deck and being creative, toolkits are a great product to buy. Pick up two of those, upgrade your planeswalker decks, or build a new one from scratch.
Posted 21 November 2018 at 13:01