Discussion Forum

Saturday Night Casual Tournament Suggestion

So we do a once a month casual play tournament. We have between 12 and 18 people who play (Mostly three families, and their extended friends, and teenage/adult kids) and next month we get to host. We rotate hosting duties and the host gets to set the theme. So we just finished a double elimination Pauper tournament. The couple hosting in march is doing the Friday Night Magic Game Night sets (Between the three families we have three sets, so we can run three tables of five.) So that leaves u to come up with a fun theme.

We're considering the following:

Food: I make a solid white chicken and bacon chili, so I will make enough to feed everyone, plus I purchased a sleeve of serving bowls from Gordon's last year that work perfect for the chili. People can bring fritos, sour cream, limes, cilantro, hot sauce, etc... Plus whatever they want to drink beyond water. (Of course we provide all the essentials-table service, napkins, seasonings like salt and pepper, drecetera...)

But we're looking for some format suggestions. Currently we are considering two ideas:

Commander PreMade

Two tables, each with the five premade Commander Decks. One table would be two color commanders, one table would be mono colored commanders. Winner from each table goes to the final table, where we have another set of three colored Commander decks-which they would play.

All decks would randomly assigned.

Option 2: Tribal Planeschase. Two tables with half of the Planeschase cards on the table. Winner of the tables face off for the prize.

Generally everyone kicks in at least one booster for a buy in, and some of us always snag a few extra to sweeten the swag pot. Usually we do 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. (It usually works out to a 70-20-10 split-give or take.) In this case I am considered buying something fun to be a bonus grand prize. In the past we have also awarded prizes based on votes-these would be extra small prizes just for fun. (A few cards, a booster, some dice, you name it.)

BUt any suggestions or comments are welcome!
Posted 20 January 2019 at 01:39

The more people you have on a table playing commander the longer the game takes, so this is also a question of available time. Also finding good pre-built commander decks that are halfway balanced might be a problem. For example, from the 2014 commander series with planeswalker commanders 2 are playable while the rest is...frustrating...to play. The 2015 commander decks have only one which is not really good.

Another thing that came to my mind for funny games would be the Unglued/ Unhinged/ Unstable editions which featured some really interesting mechanics (Like when this creature comes on the battlefield you're only allowed to speak rhymed, play with your hands stretched out, and so on)
Posted 06 February 2019 at 10:10