Discussion Forum

Take my deck to the next level!

My commander is Vilis, Broker of Blood.

Deck List: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2625557#paper

With this deck I've about reached the peak of my budget, but I'm sure there are some ways it can be tweaked and a few things that can be switched out for others that can just take the synergy to the next level. That's where I hope you all come in.

I've always liked Vilis ever since I pulled a foil one from the M20 Pre-release. I've always been a black player, whether it's mono-black, orzhov, rakdos, or mardu, I've always include black as a strong presence in my decks and that's always been my defining characteristic amongst my play group.

To know a bit more about my play group, they are all very fun-centric and will often make non-optimal plays to not be overly mean or dominant and give others a chance to play Magic.

That's part of the reason I made Vilis my commander. Before when I'd drop Vilis as just one of my 99 he would quickly get targeted as too big of a threat, but knowing my play group I knew that making him my commander would mean that people would ease off him just a bit because they'd see it as too "mean" to take out someone's commander right away.

However, though I am often a strong contender at the table, I feel like most of my friends always have a deck that is just a little more synergized, a little more explosive, and therefore a little more fun to pilot (i.e. some of their decks include, Urza Lord High Artificer, Korvold, Fae Cursed King, Marwyn, the Nurturer).

I feel like I'm constantly trying to catch up to their level. Maybe that's due to them having deeper pockets, more time to brew, or just more experience, but I hoped everyone can lend a hand in rating my decklist's power, recommended adjustments, and/or tips for piloting.

Thanks everyone!

- J
Posted 04 January 2020 at 20:29

Archfiend of Ifnir
seems like he is mostly just a beat-stick in your deck. now don't get me wrong all decks need beat-sticks but beat-sticks with abilities need to be exploited or replaced, when i have more time on my hand i will sit down and take a proper look at this deck but for know i recommend finding something to replace Archfiend of Ifnir.
Posted 06 September 2020 at 21:27