Discussion Forum

Regarding massive amounts of troll accounts

I believe I've found out how one or more trolls are exploiting the search engine to remember hundreds of accounts.
If there is any way that you can get a program to look out for the same password used in multiple accounts ?

The troll/trolls let an account stay dormant for years to use it to spam huge amounts of decks out of nowhere.
It's a behaviour that strangles newcomers because when they reach out in mtgvault the odds are very high that they reach out to a spamming account.

When you search for a username, you can search for a small number of letters instead, for example if I wanted to create a thousand accounts and remember all of them, the search engine can become a default memory for that purpose.

I could create all of my accounts this way by having them contain the word "dark"
Example of a number of usernames:
Noaandark
Darkness
Andarkist
Darkpony
Ordarkoon
Murdarkin

By searching for dark I could access my accounts at anytime, and I suspect the troll then uses the same password for all of the accounts.

I have been tracking the activity of the active decks for almost a year before realising how the trolls keep on spamming.

I've taken a look at a ton of user accounts that contain keywords like I outlined it above, and when looking at both timelines and the content of the decks in the accounts it's pretty visible that the troll first invents a new keyword, then creates several accounts with the keyword within a week and then adds to the "series" over a large span of time.

The first keyword I looked closer at started out in 2006 and is still in use, even within this week.

I believe each keyword has it's own password, so youd only need to write down one keyword and it's password to exploit the weakness.

The first keyword I used had around 60 accounts connected to it.

Most of the usernames based on a keyword looks just as clunky as the examples I outlined above.

If you have any way to trawl the user accounts based on a keyword and all the passwords check out as being the same, then you will have a way to get rid of a massive problem on this site.

Regards, wickeddarkman.
Posted 29 July 2021 at 09:24

I'm still tracking the movements of the troll.
If it has any interest at all.
Posted 02 August 2021 at 19:51