Discussion Forum

Hopefully a fresh coat of paint

Not gunna lie, I have used your site for a very long time, but even I had to check out other sites because it seemed like you guys almost gave up on this, nothing new had come to the site in a very long time, I know I spoke with you Gary I believe before and begged you to add the Command Zone option almost 10 years ago either here or on FB, but that's been it for noted features. But new products and sets were so backed up and not getting uploaded or updated for months with little to no response in the forums. But I always feel like this site is almost like home haha, your card search tool is the best out of all the sites out there past or present, and in that time I would still use it and I started to notice the sets where more updated, they were on time, some even before the pre release, which made me think wow okay are they giving this another go?

But I feel there are still a number of things the site needs to stay updated and relevant to the MTG community as a whole tbh .

- With now how many formats? both WOTC and fan ones, we need a way to have folders for our decks. So I can have my EDH, Standard, Pioneer and whatever else each in their respected folder I as a user can create/use and move them around. Even my own currently on here of 22 is two pages and no way to sort, search or anything just by newest to oldest. I current have closer to 40 decks between all formats and not to mention side projects I build for new players and friends alike.

- Deck layout, the current style has been the same for as long as I can remember, but a change up to allow for a few more options would be amazing. I would like to see all the cards in their card sections a full lay out. Not just the titles with a hover over them option.

- Card images, I am not sure where you get them from I believe you use Gatherer? But tbh as more and more people are away of Scryfall and their images, it makes the ones both on the Gatherer and here stand out with their flaws/graininess As WOTC just uploads what they have with no correction.

- Playtesting, and this is something I have brought up in older forums and have gotten responses of, it's being worked on but that was a few years ago. Right now the Draw hand feature is okay, but it doesn't do much for how there is a new mulligan rule and you can't put any cards back in the deck

- Tokens, we need them for what the deck can make and for any future plans for deck testing too.

- Your own support, Who are you? like we see Gary and I am sure some know but I bet the percentage that does is < 10% other than assuming some or the only figure that updates the site .You have a Donate to a Paypal and I don't and shouldn't know how much that does or doesn't work for you, but I don't think the 1 link at the bottom on the page is doing you a lot of good. a patron with some tiers with link or such on the top of the page would help drive people to it and help the site overall. However, if this does happen and or works in your favor to help pay for all the work you do, then the fear of the site of not being managed and delays in features need real timeline and explanations. The merch store might do well for you but I don't think it's ever been updated with new things.

I am sure there are other things I could suggest as well as others could too, but I wanted to at least see if this could help and or get the conversation started as I have advocated for your site for a long time and in more recent times defended it oppose to others and I would like it to remain as good as it always has been. And I will help with anything I can, be it a Beta tester or direct line of issues with links or card search's as I have gotten that OOOPS... something wrong message a lot at random times.
Posted 07 April 2023 at 03:38

I hit enter a little too fast before I could add, this is NOT meant to slam anyone or your work. I really love this site still and I want to see it succeed and thought perhaps this could just help even just start the conversation between your team. Thank you for hearing me out if you do read it - Andrew
Posted 07 April 2023 at 03:42

I appreciate this post and I hope it gets to the right people as I too have had to look elsewhere.
Posted 07 April 2023 at 03:50

Thank you, I meant it, this site has the best card search tool out there and I have used almost all of them and syntax searching sucks and others don't let you search for keywords. Just needs to be simple and easy to use like most thing on the internet and this does that, I am sure I am not the only one who hates search with syntax that the end user needs to learns for DOM:flying/U or whatever it is as, I want push buttons and click things and find it lol
Posted 07 April 2023 at 04:24

One year ago Gary answered to one of my requests that "when I eventually get back to working on the new design I think I will remove a few things". The main problem for me is is that he doesn't release any informations. Is there anything planned? What's the rough timeline, months, years, decades? What will be changed?
I also stopped making suggestions and report bugs because I got the feeling that I got answers that cover the absolute minimum which has to be done (severe bugs) but anything above this is simply as waste of time. There's a ton of suggestions or minor bugfixes, but nothing gets done. Advanced card search, Token Proxies, MTGO/ Arena Import, Pauper Legality Check, Arena Legality Check , Reordering Decks/ Frontpage, Linking cards with an apostroph in their names, Custom Categories, Search for multiple tags, Make card-links available for deck description, Rarity count, Deck likes, Deck submission, Notifications on forum messages, Notification on Card issues, only to name a few. Which is pretty frustrating because I look at MTGVault at least once a day.

As for your request to folders, there is the deck-tag-system, which works like a folder/ filter. Give decks the e.g. "Modern" tag and when you click on "Modern" under Filter by Deck Tag on your user page, you will see all your decks that use this tag.
Posted 13 April 2023 at 12:42

As long as there is troll activity on mtgvault I don't think gary will reveal some of the stuff that could be used by them.
Posted 16 April 2023 at 10:14