Discussion Forum

Online player to player deck testing.

Yes. Maybe a part on the forum there you can tell you're intrested in testing your deck in Magic Workstation (or apprentice and such).

It's just a thought...

Hmmm.. Bye.
Posted 21 February 2010 at 13:24

i was actually thinking about something like this yeterday except my idea involved more work for the creators. (sorry) my idea was for the vault to make their own version of mws exclusive to only the people on this site. like their can be a button you can click on someones prfile or something asking them to play a match with them. just a thought- probably too much work though. but if that doesnt work i still support the mws idea. though that would involve everyone having to download it i would think. i would like to hear more peoples opinions on this. it would be fun to finally play some people on here. :)
Posted 21 February 2010 at 21:20

Heh, creating our own version of that would be huge, something bigger than we can handle (at least for the time being anyway). However, there will deffinately be room for some sort of tournament planning / match scheduler in some future version of vault, it would fit in nicely with the new social stuff that's on the way... :)
Posted 21 February 2010 at 23:45

Nice! :D I will be looking forward for it. :)
Posted 22 February 2010 at 20:00

Yes:) i have always wanted to play Loki or Gary, and maybe some of the other more, hmmm whats the word, frequent (for a lack of a better word) posters here on the forums.

I also won't have to use the crappy pre-made decks on MTGO to play whenever i want...
Posted 30 March 2010 at 15:22

OMG! PvP on MTG Vault would be amazing! I wish it was possible...
Posted 30 March 2010 at 22:52

There is one problem if this were to work. People could just build insane decks for free and play them here...but who cares? we can all do that and have some beatdown:)

I'd still play some of my actual decks *looks at my Crusade and Green Trample Decks* Get ready to own.;)

And of course, i'd play jund.
Posted 02 April 2010 at 15:13

I would suck, though...
Posted 03 April 2010 at 00:56

But Dan, I'm a lame competitive player, I don't play magic to have fun. :P
Posted 28 April 2010 at 07:36

[QUOTE=Danokozmo]There is one problem if this were to work. People could just build insane decks for free and play them here...but who cares?[/QUOTE]
Agreed, I see this as a good thing. So long as both players know what they're getting into and agree to play, might as well let people make decks with 20 Black Lotus, 20 Lightning Bolt, and 20 Wheel of Fortune.

However, to throw a little cold water on the idea... if PVP was implemented, I bet Wizards of the Coast would issue a cease and desist letter within, like, 24 hours, because it would conflict with MTGO. I don't know whether the C&D and lawsuit threat would have legal merit, but "dealing with a lawsuit threat" is probably pretty low on MTG Vault's agenda, you know? :p
Posted 01 May 2010 at 02:06

[quote=Salient]I don't know whether the C&D and lawsuit threat would have legal merit, but "dealing with a lawsuit threat" is probably pretty low on MTG Vault's agenda, you know? :p[/quote]

I must admit, I wasn't really looking to play fisticuffs with the Wizards war-machine legal department... ;)
Posted 01 May 2010 at 10:34

[QUOTE=Salient][QUOTE=Danokozmo;6481]There is one problem if this were to work. People could just build insane decks for free and play them here...but who cares? we can all do that and have some beatdown[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I see this as a good thing. So long as both players know what they're getting into and agree to play, might as well let people make decks with 20 Black Lotus, 20 Lightning Bolt, and 20 Wheel of Fortune.[/QUOTE]

I also see this as a good thing, i realized a long time ago that actually being able to build deck strategies without limitations(of money no less) was far more fun(and fair) than having every different person having different advantages sometimes simply based on the fact that they have more money and not anything to do with actual playing skill, deck building ability and general knowledge.

It might seem strange to allow everyone the use of cards like black lotus but why not either allow everyone to use it, or allow no one to, and leave a even playing field.

[QUOTE=Salient]However, to throw a little cold water on the idea... if PVP was implemented, I bet Wizards of the Coast would issue a cease and desist letter within, like, 24 hours, because it would conflict with MTGO. I don't know whether the C&D and lawsuit threat would have legal merit, but "dealing with a lawsuit threat" is probably pretty low on MTG Vault's agenda, you know? :p[/QUOTE]

I agree, these things tend to happen rather quickly, and yes there probably would be some form of legal action taken, so even though that action might be as simple as removing this feature, it wouldn't be worth it to try to implement it.
Posted 01 May 2010 at 16:10

[QUOTE=Salient]Agreed, I see this as a good thing. So long as both players know what they're getting into and agree to play, might as well let people make decks with 20 Black Lotus, 20 Lightning Bolt, and 20 Wheel of Fortune.

However, to throw a little cold water on the idea... if PVP was implemented, I bet Wizards of the Coast would issue a cease and desist letter within, like, 24 hours, because it would conflict with MTGO. I don't know whether the C&D and lawsuit threat would have legal merit, but "dealing with a lawsuit threat" is probably pretty low on MTG Vault's agenda, you know? :p[/QUOTE]

I've thought about it, but it's not MTG Vault that's the direct problem. It would rather be Magic Workstation or apprentice or whatever software you are using. I mean, how could they still exist. Wizards of the Coast knows about them for sure.
Posted 21 May 2010 at 13:49

[QUOTE=Ensamvargen]I've thought about it, but it's not MTG Vault that's the direct problem. It would rather be Magic Workstation or apprentice or whatever software you are using. I mean, how could they still exist. Wizards of the Coast knows about them for sure.[/QUOTE]

Apprentice technically died years ago but MWS still has a large fanbase (self included.) If we really wanted to do this we could arrange for tournaments and stuff on the forums and play through MWS.
Posted 23 May 2010 at 00:44

[QUOTE=NightLoki]Apprentice technically died years ago but MWS still has a large fanbase (self included.) If we really wanted to do this we could arrange for tournaments and stuff on the forums and play through MWS.[/QUOTE]

this... this is good idea methinks
Posted 25 July 2010 at 07:14

Everything would be so much better if it would be possible (or, if possible, easy) to get an agreement together with Wizards.... There was complaining a bit ago about no incentives for commenting on decks, and that could be fixed with a small incentive if MTG Vault was teamed with Wizards, there could be a deck system that could be worked in order to allow online play.

And maybe so as not to conflict with MTGo, maybe make it limited to, say, like 1 playtest a week, putting such limitations as you must choose a Format, Legacy, Vintage, Standard, Casual. And something like if the game ends in turn like 1-3 then They have to wait less days (so people dont get boned on playing hardcore combo decks)

I know it would probably would take a TON of work for you guys, but if you could get it done... The Vault may become a staple for any MTG players. (im not saying it isnt, but it could become like an official part of MTG that they reference to all players, etc.)

I doubt anyone recognizes me but i recognize all of you. Im a huge fan ^^ Ive been on the vault for almost a year and i finally got a good computer so im probably gonna start posting on the forums alot more
Posted 27 July 2010 at 02:32

Thanks for the comments peeps :)

Agreeing something with Wizards would be awesome as they could then supply prizes for the competitions etc (am I dreaming?!) !

But yea, it's an absolute tonne of work, plus time is rather short atm! It would be really good to build something like this in, maybe a project for the future... although it would be cooler to make an external app (like MWS) and have the ability to "login" to your vault account and retrieve all your decks to playtest using the app.

That way you still make decks on vault, which can be public and receive comments, but you can also then play test them without having to rebuild :D

But that's waaaaaay off, as you may have heard Gary has just moved house and I've just had my first baby, so were a tad busy atm ;)

Cheers

Ian
Posted 27 July 2010 at 11:39

[QUOTE=Irrelevant]Everything would be so much better if it would be possible (or, if possible, easy) to get an agreement together with Wizards.... There was complaining a bit ago about no incentives for commenting on decks, and that could be fixed with a small incentive if MTG Vault was teamed with Wizards, there could be a deck system that could be worked in order to allow online play.

And maybe so as not to conflict with MTGo, maybe make it limited to, say, like 1 playtest a week, putting such limitations as you must choose a Format, Legacy, Vintage, Standard, Casual. And something like if the game ends in turn like 1-3 then They have to wait less days (so people dont get boned on playing hardcore combo decks)

I know it would probably would take a TON of work for you guys, but if you could get it done... The Vault may become a staple for any MTG players. (im not saying it isnt, but it could become like an official part of MTG that they reference to all players, etc.)

I doubt anyone recognizes me but i recognize all of you. Im a huge fan ^^ Ive been on the vault for almost a year and i finally got a good computer so im probably gonna start posting on the forums alot more[/QUOTE]

this... this would be awesome
Posted 27 July 2010 at 21:20