Discussion Forum

Break The Eldrazi Competition

Break The Eldrazi.

I know they haven't been officially released. But you can still still build decks for them. Fun decks welcomed. Competitive and Fun = even better :)

Note: The Eldrazi are not Artifacts. In the future, some might be both. But so far they are just colorless cards/spells/creatures.

Link to Spoiler: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/rise-of-the-eldrazi-spoilers-0249/ Most pics of the colorless Eldrazi are below:

http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/riseoftheeldrazi/m5u90l6sne_EN.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/riseoftheeldrazi/22z4n57jld_EN.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/riseoftheeldrazi/jn1cpdvq38_EN.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/riseoftheeldrazi/36lb0xto2x_EN.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/riseoftheeldrazi/x9ihwtwfav_EN.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/riseoftheeldrazi/4vcgoyh9yc_EN.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/riseoftheeldrazi/rg4oquk0g6_EN.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/daily/arcana/417_vcjx0r83p1.jpg

Some possibilities that exist in Standard: Polymorph, Summoning Trap, Ramp?
Others: Hideaways, CloudPost + Vesuva, many, many more.
Posted 01 April 2010 at 02:25

Here's my first submission. It's my new Elder Dragon Highlander Deck (99 cards, 1-ofs except basic lands, +1 legendary general that defines your colors).

The deck uses Rofellos, the Broken (sic) to power out fatties. It is pretty hot.

Decklink: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=52428

Nastiest Possible (chances of this exactly are essentially 0, but aside from the haste, this is the kinda fun that happens regularly with this deck, just a turn or 2 or 3 later):
[QUOTE]
Turn 1: Forest, Concordant Crossroads
Turn 2: Forest, ROFLelf himself, Sakura Tribe Elder, sac for Forest
Turn 3: Forest, Tap the elf: Cast Patron of the Orachi, Tap Patron to untap ROFLelf and forests, attack for 7, play Terrastadon post-combat to blow up 3 of their lands/artifacts.
Turn 4: Tooth and Nail for Emrakul and Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Attack for 7+9+10+15 against a completely empty board. When these 2 attack, they sacrifice 10 permanents...:eek:

???

Profit![/QUOTE]
Posted 01 April 2010 at 02:46

Sneak Attack
Posted 01 April 2010 at 03:18

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=52373

Here's mine, it's an Eldrazi-based Warp World deck. Unfortunately their casting effects won't go off when they warp in, but it shouldn't matter too much. If you ramp into Warp World quick enough, you'll throw off your opponent's setup and probably get at least one Eldrazi on the field. When you swing next turn, Annihilator will probably take out most of what your opponent's got.

Cosi's Ravager will deal a decent amount of damage off a Warp World if you hit a few lands. Also, Splitter Twin combos well with the come-into-play effects, such as Emrakul's Hatcher and Acidic Slime.
Posted 01 April 2010 at 03:41

heres my entry http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=52469
Posted 01 April 2010 at 04:17

Great work to all!!! (Except the guy who posted a deck with 1xEye of Ugdin and just decided to say that he'd use :mana4: of every Eldrazi card that Wizards prints.)

These decks have been fun to look at, and I hope we continue to improve our decks as we test more and as more cards are released.

To the others out there:
1) Don't be shy! :D
2) Have some fun!
3) Break open these Eldrazi! :p

Cheers,
~Loki3
Posted 01 April 2010 at 10:49

sneak attack doesn't break these guys, most of them are great when you actually cast them, not when you put them into play. In play they are just fatties with the nasty annihilator mechanic.

I'd say Emrakul + crystal Shard is pretty broken
actually playing Emrakul for 15 mana is pretty broken
How hard is it to get 15 colorless mana, comon... easy enough...

metalworker comes to mind :)
Posted 01 April 2010 at 12:44

I have no idea about different formats, as I only play vintage (and loosely so), but I think the three Urza's land(Urza's Tower, Mine and Power Plant) will do well with an Eldrazi deck.
A lucky starting hand could give you:

1. Urza's Tower & Sol Ring
2. Urza's Mine & Grim Monolith & Mana Vault
3. Urza's Power Plant

That's 16 mana and Emrakul on round 3. ...

Now, I don't believe in lucky starting hands, but its a nice thought. :)

Anyway, a deck with manaproducing artifacts, Metalworker and Tolarian Academy is maybe one way to do the trick?
Posted 01 April 2010 at 23:22

in a blue ally control deck with a splash of green for harabaz druid run the Aoens torns eldrazi and use jace the mind sculptor to bounce it.

so once you get the mana though the ally druid and lands this is how it works

drop the Aoens torns, end turn. take extra turn swing with Aeons torn for 15 flying and annihalator of 6, main phase two bounce Aoen of torn with jace and replay him.

combo make lots of turns that can't be easily stoped and with a heavy control deck its happening often

and that combo i think breaks and OP card

to boot its standard
Posted 02 April 2010 at 18:38

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=52761

the object is to get as many of the eldrazi into your grave yard and use liliana vess to get all of them out, and fervor gives them haste, if it works it seems anihilator is win condition.
Posted 03 April 2010 at 00:23

as far as trying to get around anihilator ability:pithing needle but you have to name the card when you cast it. that will mess it up the annihilator ability. you could also hit them with ice cage.
Posted 03 April 2010 at 00:57

Good thought's everybody. Ice cage can mess with most, but it can't target the Emrakul, Mothership.

So far, the ways I know of getting rid of Emrakul are playing cards that target her when they enter the battlefield, or that have activated abilities.

Examples:

Sorcery Speed:
---------

Creatures: Shriekmaw, Duplicant (I really love this card), Bone Shredder, Darkmoore Lancer, Dark Hatchling, Final Sting Faerie, Hammerheim Deadeye, Heartstab Mosquito, Oran-Rief Recluse - mostly stuff that isn't played much.

Enchantments: Oblivion Ring, Journey to Nowhere, ...? These 2 are good and probably the best anti-Emakrul cards in Standard. Mostly because decks already run them some.

Artifacts: Executioner's Capsule
Sorceries that Don't Target: Wrath of God, Day of Judgement, Damnation, etc.

Planeswalkers: Jace (kind-of), Sarkhan the Mad, Gideon... (not really ... after you sac 6 permanents, i guess...)

Instant Speed:
-----------------
Garza's Assasain, Chime of the Night, Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet, Ovinomancer, Pus Kami, Seal of Doom, Diabolic Edict (possibly)
Posted 03 April 2010 at 07:01

[QUOTE=Mutton-Button]as far as trying to get around anihilator ability:pithing needle but you have to name the card when you cast it. that will mess it up the annihilator ability. you could also hit them with ice cage.[/QUOTE]

Pithing Needle only hits activated abilities. Annihilator is a triggered ability that occurs when a creature with the ability attacks.

Oh, and not every Eldrazi gets broken by Sneak Attack. Since you're not getting the abilities that trigger when cast, you should be more concerned with any pro-abilities and its size. The only Eldrazi that's worth sneaking out is Emrakul for it's pro-color ability.

And to further the Sneak Attack, Fling or Rite of Consumption after the swing.

I'd say give Djinn of Wishes, the Eldrazi of your choice, and Insidious Dreams a shot. Throw in Erratic Explosion if you want to do direct damage.
Posted 03 April 2010 at 09:19

I turned my Rofellos EDH deck into 60. Link: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=52817

It's now a hot Survival of the Fittest Deck that works kinda as combo/control. Accelerates while drawing cards. Has many ways to hurt your opponent and stall them till you can find Emrakul and use her, with haste, to win.

I mean... this deck can beat down, sure, but it's ridiculous with SoF + Genesis + Anger + Squee. It loses to really, really fast combo - and I assume, to good control with graveyard hate.

I don't think it's control-y enough to be competitive Vintage or Legacy, especially with graveyard hate, but it is pretty damn good. It might use duals to splash for cards like Meddling Mage, Shriekmaw, Qasali Pridemage, Mystic Snake, (wtf?), and other good controlling, or time-specific creatures. And counterspells + Chalice, etc.

[QUOTE]
I feel like this deck defines me pretty well... mono-green RAWR!! Oh wait, what the hell...:D [/QUOTE]

As it combos, it usually wipe their side of the board, too. :eek: And if you have enough mana, which you usually do, because... you just combo-ed to hard-cast Emrakul for 15 mana... you can take infinite turns if you want, by using Karakas to bounce Emrakul or Diamond Valley to gain 15 life and dump her for Genesis to give back on your extra turn.... but Emakrul vs. an empty board is essentially... infinite turns anyways.

Also, how do/did other Survival of the Fittest Decks deal with Graveyard/Enchantment hate?
Posted 03 April 2010 at 11:26

ok slightly retooled due to some sage like advice.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=52761
Posted 03 April 2010 at 13:24

[QUOTE=Seth]sneak attack doesn't break these guys, most of them are great when you actually cast them, not when you put them into play. In play they are just fatties with the nasty annihilator mechanic.

I'd say Emrakul + crystal Shard is pretty broken
actually playing Emrakul for 15 mana is pretty broken
How hard is it to get 15 colorless mana, comon... easy enough...

metalworker comes to mind :)[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAH are you fucking retarded

sneak attack doesn`t break a creature which automatically is going to destroy 6 permanents and deal 15 damege for practically free?

youre nuts
Posted 03 April 2010 at 19:10

lets not forget belbe's portal and quicksilver amulet either. yeah in all reality the annihilator ability is what's really going to get work done. if you can pop a couple of these guys out and manage to use them that urn it's a win. even if you can hard cast the one that lets you take a second turn after "warping in" the other ones, your going to completely wipe the opponents board and kill them.
Posted 03 April 2010 at 20:50

as far as getting rid of emrakul. Nevinyrral's Disk + Amulet of Vigor
Posted 03 April 2010 at 20:58

how about stifle attached to isochron scepter?
Posted 03 April 2010 at 21:44

I've got another one--Emrakul + Sunken Hope.

Just keep bouncing Emrakul to your hand to take turns.
Posted 04 April 2010 at 07:40

@ Shadowsketched: Karakas also works. And it is fetchable with anything that grabs non-basic lands (Tolaria West, Sylvan Scrying, Intuition, etc.).

I use it in my 60. I actually had to use it last night to go infinite with Emrakul against an affinity deck that was about to draw and play its whole deck. They were at a point where they had tons of artifacts which they were casting for free (all their artifact spells had affinity for artifacts), and they were drawing 2 cards per mana per turn (using skullclamp and the artifact that when it dies, returns another artifact to your hand). The only reason i was any bit alive was because I had silent arbiter + kitchen finks and genesis, squee, and anger in my graveyard.

Fetched up Rofellos with haste, fetched and played Emrakul, attacking, then bouncing and replaying in my extra turn till the board wiped/they ran out of ornithopters/darksteel gargoyles. 'Twas sweetness incarnate.

Also, I think Karakas is the best way to protect the better Eldrazi and/or recycle them so you can use them again. Especially if they have haste (anger in the graveyard or Sneak Attack)
Posted 04 April 2010 at 11:28

Karakas is absolutely great. I'll have to give it a shot once Rise comes out.

I also caught your post about Survival. Ideally, your Survival deck should be able to win without Survival. Should your Survival be targeted, in response to the removal, go fetch an Eternal Witness to get back your Survival as soon as possible. As far as GY hate, you can always tutor for removal (Viridian Shaman, Wickerbough Elder) should it be hate that hangs around in play (Leyline of the Void, Tormod's Crypt). However, if it's instant, you just have to play around it.
Posted 06 April 2010 at 07:02

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=53391

My attempt at a standard Eldrazi deck.
Posted 06 April 2010 at 11:45

Elvish Piper would be great, if you don't mind not having the "when cast" effects on some of these guys. It's a better alternative to Sneak Attack in my opinion since they stay in play. It would be good for my deck strategy to get Pathrazer out fast and not worrying over mana token creatures.

Here's the deck I am talking about.

It's still being made at the moment, comments are appreciated.
Posted 06 April 2010 at 23:22

@ShadowStretched: Thanks for the tips! I guest most of the decisions for me (with the Survival Deck) lay in figuring out
A) Which Colors I want it to be in.
-Right Now it's just Mono-Green to help Rofellos Accelerate Faster
B) How many situational one-ofs should I play?
-I think Eternal Witness and Acid Slime in the main (with Terastadon as the final backup) should be enough. And for the rest, I can just tweak the side.

I'm also trying to figure out if there is any reason to run Realms Uncharted... It just seems like a bad land fetcher for combo. Like a bad version of Gifts Ungiven or Intuition. Because if you are going for a land combo... and you don't get Life from the Loam, your combo requires an extra tutor...

Anyone have any ideas where Realms Uncharted would be better than Gifts? Maybe in addition?? In a Cloudposts/Vesuva deck? That runs... ELDRAZI???
Posted 07 April 2010 at 14:34

[QUOTE=loki3]@ShadowStretched: Thanks for the tips! I guest most of the decisions for me (with the Survival Deck) lay in figuring out
A) Which Colors I want it to be in.
-Right Now it's just Mono-Green to help Rofellos Accelerate Faster
B) How many situational one-ofs should I play?
-I think Eternal Witness and Acid Slime in the main (with Terastadon as the final backup) should be enough. And for the rest, I can just tweak the side.

I'm also trying to figure out if there is any reason to run Realms Uncharted... It just seems like a bad land fetcher for combo. Like a bad version of Gifts Ungiven or Intuition. Because if you are going for a land combo... and you don't get Life from the Loam, your combo requires an extra tutor...

Anyone have any ideas where Realms Uncharted would be better than Gifts? Maybe in addition?? In a Cloudposts/Vesuva deck? That runs... ELDRAZI???[/QUOTE]

LOL @ ShadowStretched, don't know who that is.

I'll cover Realms first. Here are some ways to use it over Gifts:

* Play it with Petrified Field. The Field will allow you to get the desired land should it be dumped. Only thing that sucks is if the Field and the desired land get dumped.
* Play it with cycling lands(Forgotten Cave, Blasted Landscape) to get lands in your GY or some draw spells.
* Use it to get fetchlands to boost a Terravore or Knight of the Reliquary.
* Use it to try to get Dakmor Salvage in the GY, and if it doesn't, Seismic Assault it in.

That's all I got for now. The niches for Realms is much smaller than Gifts though.

As far as Survival, the best number would be to run 5-of singleton tutor targets and the rest 3 of 4-ofs. Survival is best used to improve consistency, not as a build-around-me engine should it get removed.

Let me know when you have a decklist, would love to check it out =).
Posted 08 April 2010 at 04:11

[QUOTE=ShadowSketched]
I'd say give Djinn of Wishes, the Eldrazi of your choice, and Insidious Dreams a shot. Throw in Erratic Explosion if you want to do direct damage.[/QUOTE]

I like this idea of using Djinn of Wishes a lot, thanks!!!!

[QUOTE=pelican;6501]HAHAHAHAHAH are you fucking retarded

sneak attack doesn`t break a creature which automatically is going to destroy 6 permanents and deal 15 damege for practically free?

youre nuts[/QUOTE]

No it just demonstrates that Eldrazy creatures are pretty badass. Sneak attack doesn't break anything. If you start playing a deck with sneak attack people will either start playing more enchantment removal, more diabolic edicts or more counter and you'll be back at square one, which is nowhere. You have to run a pretty bad ass deck where every card puts pressure on your opponent for something like sneak attack to get through your opponents defense. Not to mention that sneak attack still require's you to have the eldrazi creature in question in your hand, sneak attack has to resolve and you need an opponent who doesn't have a solution to remove your creature before attackers are declared.
It's easier to make this work with Tooth and Nail and something that gives haste (Anger, Sharkan Vol...) then with sneak attack.
Posted 08 April 2010 at 12:24

Here is a fun deck that will just scare the pants off of your opponet when you drop the 15/15 first or second turn and win the game by third turn.
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=54510

oh yeah this deck is NOT LEGAL, it is just fun and a mean way to play with the big beasts.
Posted 12 April 2010 at 19:09