Discussion Forum

Do tokens count as spells?

I only ask b/c I playing an Elf token deck and I have one card that allowed me to put a 1/1 green Elf token into play for each Elf spell I played. I had another card that allowed me to tap her and one forest to add a 1/1 elf token into play, so my question - does that token count as a an Elf spell? When I put that token into play can I put another one into play because of the 1st card's ability?

Also, I use Door of Destinies in this deck too - and for every elf I put out I get a +1/+1 counter on my Elves, would I be able to add counters to that for playing a token?
Posted 05 April 2010 at 00:17

Sadly no, you can't do that. That's why Rhys doesn't set off Lys Alana Huntsmaster. Playing a spell to MAKE a token that has the elf type (elvish promenade iirc) counts, but tapping an Imperious Perfect for one doesnt.
Posted 05 April 2010 at 00:51

cards you play from your hand with the exception of land are spells. What you describe is an ability. Abilities and spells are two different things.
Posted 06 April 2010 at 07:21

111. Spells

111.1. A spell is a card on the stack. As the first step of being cast (see rule 601, “Casting Spells”), the card becomes a spell and is moved to the top of the stack from the zone it was in, which is usually its owner’s hand. (See rule 405, “Stack.”) A spell remains on the stack as a spell until it resolves (see rule 608, “Resolving Spells and Abilities”), is countered (see rule 701.5), or otherwise leaves the stack. For more information, see section 6, “Spells, Abilities, and Effects.”

601. Casting Spells

601.2. To cast a spell is to take it from the zone it’s in (usually the hand), put it on the stack, and pay its costs, so that it will eventually resolve and have its effect. Casting a spell follows the steps listed below, in order. If, at any point during the casting of a spell, a player is unable to comply with any of the steps listed below, the casting of the spell is illegal; the game returns to the moment before that spell started to be cast (see rule 714, “Handling Illegal Actions”). Announcements and payments can’t be altered after they’ve been made.
Posted 17 April 2010 at 20:42

Hi, I play with an elf as well and I have to know this xD
I have Lys Alana Huntsmaster in play and I play Elvish promenade, i put one 1/1 elf because of playing an elf spell(Elvish Promen.) so the question is if I should put one 1/1 elf too for each token that came into play because of the Elvish Promenade
Posted 14 February 2011 at 11:17

[QUOTE=andresR]Hi, I play with an elf as well and I have to know this xD
I have Lys Alana Huntsmaster in play and I play Elvish promenade, i put one 1/1 elf because of playing an elf spell(Elvish Promen.) so the question is if I should put one 1/1 elf too for each token that came into play because of the Elvish Promenade[/QUOTE]

No, Lys Alana Huntsmaster triggers only ones because you played only 1 elf spell (Elvish promenade) as explained above.
Posted 14 February 2011 at 12:23