Discussion Forum

Planeswalker question

This is a stupid question, but I've been away from the game for a while and these planeswalkers are new to me.

Do the planeswalkers suffer from summoning sickness?
Posted 15 April 2010 at 16:43

no, they are not creatures and they do not suffer from summoning sickness.
Posted 15 April 2010 at 17:24

They're "Permanents" that have Counters for their life total and the number of counters is manipulated as part of the cost of casting their one per your turn sorcery-speed abilities.
Posted 16 April 2010 at 04:04

an interesting fact about thier abilities however is that once they resolve, even though their abilities are sorceries, YOU the active player have priority and can therefore activate an ability BEFORE your opponent can do anything(such as use a destroy spell on it). This makes plainswalkers such as garruk incredibly powerful as he only takes up 2 mana if you use the first ability
Posted 16 April 2010 at 14:40

Really? Planeswalkers have priority over instants? Then why would Wizards even say such a fact like "You can only use these abilities as sorceries" if they're going to break their own rule? They're basically just saying that the turn a Planeswalker enters the battlefield, you can use an ability as an instant. If so, they should add such to the official rules.

Yeah, goes to show that I don't use Planeswalkers that much.
Posted 16 April 2010 at 15:07

[QUOTE=MajinKirby]Really? Planeswalkers have priority over instants? Then why would Wizards even say such a fact like "You can only use these abilities as sorceries" if they're going to break their own rule? They're basically just saying that the turn a Planeswalker enters the battlefield, you can use an ability as an instant. If so, they should add such to the official rules.

Yeah, goes to show that I don't use Planeswalkers that much.[/QUOTE]

well its not that you can use it as an instant, its just the way the rules work

if you were to play a creature, once it resolves and actually enters the battlefield(and doesn't trigger any abilities) YOU the active player always gets priority so you could play a socery spell in this case too(though it could still be responded to of course etc)
Posted 16 April 2010 at 15:11

Can I get a citation on that because afaik anytime a permanent except land resolves priority passes around the table. The only way I can see that working is just the way abilities work even if someone bolts the 'walker you can just use an ability in response.
Posted 17 April 2010 at 09:22

[QUOTE=Shadowex3]Can I get a citation on that because afaik anytime a permanent except land resolves priority passes around the table. The only way I can see that working is just the way abilities work even if someone bolts the 'walker you can just use an ability in response.[/QUOTE]

but you CANT use a plainswalker ability in response...to anything, they are sorcery speed abilities, if the stack isn't empty you CANT play them

"306.5d Each planeswalker has a number of loyalty abilities, which are activated abilities with loyalty symbols in their costs. Loyalty abilities follow special rules: A player may activate a loyalty ability of a permanent he or she controls any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty during a main phase of his or her turn, but only if none of that permanent’s loyalty abilities have been activated that turn. See rule 606, “Loyalty Abilities.”"

AS WELL AS

"115.3b The active player receives priority after a spell or ability (other than a mana ability) resolves."

AND

"115.1a A player may cast an instant spell any time he or she has priority. A player may cast a non-instant spell during his or her main phase any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty."

this shows us that once a planeswalker spell resolves, assuming the stack is now empty(it usually would be), the active player(the one who cast the planeswalker usually) would then receive priority and if this was during a main phase(again typically what would happen) they would then have the opportunity to play a loyalty ability immediately
Posted 17 April 2010 at 18:24

Right brainfart, must stop posting at 5am.
Posted 17 April 2010 at 19:29

and again (I think I said this already) a Gideon Jura that uses his third ability the same turn he gets cast/put onto the battlefield can't attack because he has summoning sickness now. I think I messed up the last time I said this actually.
Posted 28 April 2010 at 07:11