Discussion Forum

Hey Nurse, write me a Conscription so I can Open your Vaults...

Oi! Nurse... write me a Conscription so I can Open your Vaults, babe...

Goal: Use Open the Vaults in a slightly non-traditional way. Like with the Enchantment - Aura, Eldrazi Conscription.

Background:
[QUOTE]Open the Vaults is 4WW and says:
Return all artifact and enchantment cards from all graveyards to the battlefield under their owners' control.

The rules text says: An Aura put onto the battlefield this way can't enchant an artifact or enchantment that's also being put onto the battlefield with Open the Vaults.... so you need to have a creature out to stick the auras on, or you end up putting them on your opponent' creatures.[/QUOTE]

Normally, people use OtV to reanimate creatures, enchantment removal (Oblivion Ring, Journey to Nowhere), and artifact draw(Courier Capsule). See if you can make an interesting, fun deck that also uses crazy Auras like Eldrazi Conscription and/or Splinter Twin and/or Umbras... and/or other good stuff.

Instructions: State the legality you choose. T2 is an easy format to choose, and you can build off of current OtV decks such as this one: http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=33872. Expand into any other specific formats. Or just choose "Casual."

Mood: This Challenge should be just for fun :) If you happen to make something competitive or really cool, good for you :D I promise to buy you an ice cream cone in real life if I ever meet you. But again this should just be for fun :)

Example 1: An example of a good fun deck in the "Casual" format might be a modular artifact deck including Arcbound Hybrid (a 2/2 artifact with haste), OtV, Eldrazi Conscription, cyclers, and a bit of card draw.

Example 2: A second example could also include the combo of Sovereigns of Lost Alara with acceleration, good creatures/artifact creatures, and Eldrazi Conscription: http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=34660

There are tons of possibilities here, I think. If you need help or guidance, I'll be around :)
Posted 29 April 2010 at 12:19

Oh, this will be fantastic fun! For new players looking to amp up their Vaulting ability, I recommend taking a look at Replenish. It's not Standard-legal, but old hands will be familiar with Replenish from the wonderful Argothian Enchantress fringe deck in Legacy.

And notice what Open the Vaults does that Replenish does not: OtV also returns artifacts to play... I am looking forward to seeing how deckbuilders exploit that to have some fun :)
Posted 30 April 2010 at 16:27

Vengevine in a Mono blue deck, mill myself to get in the graveyard then cast cheapies to bring them into play, with a distortion strike to make them +1 un-blockable.

PLEASE COMMENT! (I'M BRINGING THIS TO MY FIRST TOURNEY TOMORROW [insert nervous emoticon here] )

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=56969
Posted 30 April 2010 at 22:46

Oops, Merfolker, you dropped this link in the wrong thread -- this thread is for individuals using Open the Vaults. Check the Competition: Vengevine thread for a good home for your post :)
Posted 01 May 2010 at 01:15

One of my friends has a standard deck that im in love with lol. He uses the artifact cycling cards in a B/W/U deck, does everything he can to get his stuff in the graveyard then bam! All the stuff he cycled for card advantage are smackin you in the face, hes usually gained a bunch of life from discarding filgree angel then bringing it back... *shudder* its wicked fun
Posted 02 May 2010 at 17:46

Salient, I really like the idea of using Replenish. Either for an Enchantment theme or an Artifact/Enchantment theme.

As a side note, I have learned that auras do not target when you return them to play via Replenish, Open the Vaults, etc. So you can use it to Mind Control Emrakul/Sphinx of Jwar Isle. Or to enchant your own shrouded creatures.

:p
Posted 05 May 2010 at 10:30