Discussion Forum

land help please!!!

i am trying to make a five color highlander deck and im lookin for some help on getting lands out fast so maybe just cards that fetch lands because i cant afford to buy the good duel lands.
Posted 06 March 2009 at 04:45

[QUOTE=jaebrent]i am trying to make a five color highlander deck and im lookin for some help on getting lands out fast so maybe just cards that fetch lands because i cant afford to buy the good duel lands.[/QUOTE]

I have played all sorts of Five Color, Highlander, and EDH.

If I am understanding you want to play a five colored, 100 card singleton deck? If so..

One of the best ways (especially going budget) to get five colors is to use Green for the base. I would use mostly green with land fetch spells such as a Crop Rotation, a couple of Rampant Growth and a few Harrow and you have good start. For it to be highlander you will use the same concept, just more cards.

One example list I use in Dr.KnowMaD's Notion (Horde of Notions) is:

Crop Rotation
Lay of the Land
Rampant Growth
Sylvan Scrying
Evolution Charm
Search for Tomorrow
Kodama's Reach
Harrow
Sprouting Vines
Scapeshift

Then you need mana itself. Assuming you use something like 60/40 to start with.

3 of each non green and the rest Green, example.

3 Island
3 Plains
3 Mountain
3 Swamp
18 Forest
10 Nonbasic

Thats 12. Then lets just say 18-23 forests. which is 30-35 lands. This then allows room for 5-10 nonbasic (special) lands. Obvious this is of the top of the head and will need to be tweaked for personal preference an such, but you get the idea.

Along with Artifacts, (few nice mana fixers in the new set I have yet to try) like Darksteel Ingot. And then if you can make a few bucks or already have handy, maybe use cards like Birds of Paradise, Noble Hierarch, and Joiner Adapt (this one is cheeper) all to help round out if needed, but I personally have found the fetches for land is enough and consistently smooth.

Also don't forget one of the best land tutors in the game Demonic Tutor.

Hope that was a start on what you are looking for, later.
Dr.KnowMaD
Posted 07 March 2009 at 08:34

Thank you for the help. Since I don't have a lot of good lands I am going with a green base using 63 spells and 37 lands. I had to use cards like Rampant Growth, Ice Fall, Mwonvuli Acid-Moss, Drain the Well, Lay of the Land, Terramorphic Expansion, Wrecking Ball, Gemstone Caverns, Gemstone Mines, Poison the Wel, Lotus Petal, and Untamed Wilds to accelerate my deck and to slow opponents down. I am using Scion the Ur-Dragon as my general. I try to always go with Teneb the Harvester first to revive things from the graveyard. I also use Zombify and Graceful Reprieve to recover dragons. Anymore advice helps! Thanks again.
Posted 08 March 2009 at 00:09