Discussion Forum

Remove New Window Popups

Please have decklists view the card in the same page, rather than opening a new window. Even if you just show the card with no text, I want to get a feel for what it does without popping up windows everywhere.

Thanks!
Posted 06 May 2010 at 18:25

Unfortunately, no one else has actually raised this as an issue.

If enough people would want it to remain in the same window, then maybe we could switch it around, but at the moment, it's staying as it is.

Cheers

Ian
Posted 20 May 2010 at 22:53

I agree with this, both Wizards' main website and a few other websites (channelfireball and blackborder come to mind) have been doing javascript in-window pop-ups for cards. It's clean, looks professional, and reduces the number of clicks. It's also more coding for you guys so yeah. More bug potential too.
Posted 23 May 2010 at 00:42

It's easy enough to do the card hover over image thing, I have a card search page half coded with that implemented for example :)

I'll have a word with Gary when I see him later and we'll have a chat. Watch this space :)

Ian
Posted 23 May 2010 at 08:32

I have to disagree about blackborder...it's no better than opening up new windows.

Any site that lets me do this isn't built for user experience:
http://imgur.com/mbBv4.jpg

Ideally what I'm after is the ability to click or hover a card and have it show up in the same window, similar to this:
http://www.mananation.com/maga-basher-faces/
(although scrolling down the list kinda defeats the purpose as the card is off-screen)

Nine times out of ten I don't recognize a card by it's name, but by it's picture/text. Giving me the ability to quickly see what the card is without having to open new windows (or new floating divs) is what I'm after.

Yes, there should be a link near the card to open a new window to get prices/rules errata/etc, but I just want the quick & dirty.
Posted 25 May 2010 at 14:00