Discussion Forum

Combinations, Card Requests and Legalization

Intro

I thought up an idea since it seems pretty obvious and yet, It probably might not have been thought of till later...

Combinations

But basically,
when you make the deck You Can Show what cards Connect to what.
-With that it also Shows Output

So there would be something like

Combonation catagory "No more mana ;)"
Living Plane
Taunting Elf
+Venom

Set Requests

This idea is pretty much the for people that are looking for that perfect card and know how much of a downside is worth giving to it.

Or for the people that thought up an Epic storyline and other people thing its too good to pass up

Or people that thought up rules

You get the idea

Pretty much the idea is "If only". This isn't put into practice as much as I would like for a number of things i enjoy (Including videogames)
As a result, I feel if a particular card, story or set gets recognized for being particularly popular, it might grab the attention of wizards(c) and possibly would get published.

Legalization

-Right now, Mox emerald is banned in Legacy and restricted in vintage
As a result This card combination will probably not be possible.
--For each deck, there should be shown whether the deck is type 1, 1.5 or 2
--Show what each of those things mean (Because i had to look it up since I wasn't as aware of how Tournaments worked as some other people) (and I still don't have a clear definition except for type 2 uses only the current set, and type 1 is all sets.)

Then have a suggestions bar from people to give possible solutions to your legal problems
Example-Instead of Mox Emerald, Put in Llanowar elves.

THen have multip[le versions of the same deck in different legal areas
-If someone wants to take the time to do it, its on them
--This also ties into my "Deck edit" Suggestion where people can edit other peoples decks. Both the author and the editor would get credit. (Each card change would be displayed in a different color based on who did it, and show what cards were taken out in the same fashion.)

Conclusion
These are just some thoughts. Not all of my thoughts, but I don't want to overcomplicte anything too much
Posted 18 March 2009 at 03:57

Combinations - Already thought of, other things to do first.

Set Requests - Interesting, nobody has mentioned anything like this before, what sort of thing would you expect for this, how would it work?

Legalization - Aye, Good idea, shouldn't be too hard to do, it's been mentioned before but as always there's a long list of stuff to do.
Posted 18 March 2009 at 15:48

[QUOTE=Gary]
Set Requests - Interesting, nobody has mentioned anything like this before, what sort of thing would you expect for this, how would it work?
[/QUOTE]

Probably be a seperate section just like the Forum and main Page.

How to Make something

Anybody can Start a "Project"
-For each project
--Story
--General Rule Ideas
--Drawings
--Card Specific Ideas (Name, Mana cost, card type Rules inclusion, flavor text, picture) (http://www.freewebs.com/mtgscans/new.html Probably something Similar to this

If someone just wants to make a single peice of artwork (like a single card or a story without a project), those things can be placed under "Free Agency" and can be recruited by anyone.

If someone wants to edit other peoples work/projects however....

Edits to other peoples Work and Projects

For each Edit though, The "Originator" Must Choose to Except Changes for it to remain Cannon
-Otherwise, it will be left as a "Undecided" or "Refused". However, people will still be able to view what edits other people were looking to make.

I'm also Interested in seeing Projects able to be taken over by other people. Like if an "Originator" goes afk, then the Project can be taken over by another person. Problems I forsee in this is "factioning", where two or more people Decide to take a project and have different vision in where they want to take the project. THis could be a good and bad thing, since it might influence future projects, but also might take a decently running project and make it fail.

This is why I feel that a specific project shouldn't be taken as seriously as a story or a card, or a peice of artwork, etc.

But either way, people can post Specific things and then combine and expand. One person might draw something beautiful, while another would make the appropiate corresponding Rules.

Started By "Person A"
-Name-Falkun Paunch-Contributed by "Person B" (See "Others")
-Cost-1 red or white-Contributed by "Person A" (See "Others")
-Picture-http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:QGWjq4dxyHStyM:http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r24/Gearmaster123 /Falconpunch.png-Contributed by "Person D" (See "Others")
-Type-Sorcery-Contributed by "Person A"
-Rules-you can not play any spells or tap mana for the next three turns. At any time during those turns this can be countered. the end of those three turns, if this spell is still in play, target player loses. Contributed By "Person A" (See others)
--"Yes!" Cap'n-COntributed by "person A" (See "Others")

Each Part has The Contributer and if there are others, the ability to go to the page and see that.

Publicity

Publicity is important to anybody, since a really good idea might be lost in the sea of lbm's (Psychadelic vs Little Brown Mushroom).

As a result, I'd say a "Object of the Week" should be placed in order.
Also, For people looking to add something to their project, there ought to be a search engine and Tags to be added to a peice of art to make it have maximum effect. Like if someone wants something Heavy Metal, THey'll find it if the tags were set up right...

I really like how you've made the "Newly created deck" section and I think that might be important to it also to make sure everyone gets a chance to be seen, if not for a second.

Thats what I think, yeah, what is this all written in, I'm in college for visual Basic, but I want to know what I got to learn in order to make things like this.

Html?
Posted 19 March 2009 at 04:35

On the kind of things required to make this work (especially the tournament legalization), You'd have to know a fair amount of scripting and/or a server-side language. Which is probably why it's not an option yet.

What I'd like to know (at the risk of being off-topic) is if there's any way to help out with the website directly, because I've been thinking of putting together a script for tournament legality in my off-time.
Posted 23 March 2009 at 03:14

@Formula1: The site is written in ASP.NET (VB) and you'd need to know HTML/CSS and SQL too.

@NightLoki: The database actualy already supports tournament legalization, just no code has been written to handle it, it should be fairly simple to add though.

I'm always a bit sceptical of giving away the keys and letting people help out, it's difficult to trust people you've never met, you know? I'd really love to just get loads of people on board and helping out, I'm just not really sure the best way of doing it. :(
Posted 23 March 2009 at 09:36

honestly, there's gotta be a way. all i think it would require is a new key for all the cards that has their legality (or several keys with each marking t/f for each type), with each deck being assigned a yes/no based on whether it's type 2 legal, whether it's Extended legal, etc.

As for handing out keys, can't say i blame you on that. People can be shady sometimes. self included.
Posted 23 March 2009 at 13:20