Discussion Forum

Need Help with some Rules XD

so basically my deck revolves around spells and stuff and im just wondering something because i know a scenario like this would come up. (the Kiln Fiend and multiple copies)

my question is if i have a Kiln fiend out (he gets +3/+0 for each time spell that you cast this turn and he is alrdy a +1/+2).If i have him out and play Lighting bolt, and if i use Echo Mage, and copy the lighting bolt twice does my kiln fiend become a +4/2 because i casted the lighting bolt and echo mages ability isnt a spell/sorcery OR does Kiln Fiend become a +11/2 because i casted lightning bolt and copied it twice so thats 3 spells? anyone know how this concept works?

Second question; is there a limit to how many times u can Copy a spell like if i have 2 Echo Mages out and there both lvl 3 and i cast Counter Spell, can i use my 2 echo mages, tap them for 4:manau: and copy it 4 times because 1 echo mage can copy it twice then the other echo mage can copy it so thats 2 then again with my other echo mage so that's 2 more and + the original counterspell so essentially i would have 5 Counterspells, is that legal? or is there a limit to the amount of times you can copy a spell?

~~~~~ I know tht their long questions and might be confusing but any input would be awesome thnx
~~~~~ Desant ~~~~~
Posted 30 May 2010 at 17:51

Ran it through Word's spelling and grammer checker 5 times to clean it up to be half-way readable for whoever feels like answering:

[quote]Ok well thanks guys for actually reading this and responding, I appreciate it a lot. So basically my deck revolves around spells and stuff and I'm just wondering something that I know would come up in a game and I wouldn’t know how to answer it.

The question is if I have a Kiln fiend out (and what he does is each time u play an instant or sorcery he gets +3/0 so 2 spells he gets +6/0 and he's already a 1/2). I’m wondering is I have him out and play Lighting bolt, then and if I use Echo Mage, his LAST LEVELER meaning u get to copy the spell twice AKA 9 dmg lighting bolt, does my kiln fiend become a +4/2 because I cast the lighting bolt or does he become a +11/2 because lighting bolt plus u copied it twice so technically its like 3 spells. Sorry if it's not clear I didn’t know how else to put it.

And my Second question, Is there a limit to how many times u can Copy a spell like if I have Echo Mages out and there both level 3 and lets say I cast Counter Spell hypothetically, can I use my 2 echo mages tap them for 4 and copy it 4 times because 1 echo mage can copy it twice so that’s 2 then the other so 2 more then the original so technically I would have 5 counterspells, is that legal? Or is there a limit to the amount of times you can copy a spell?

~~~~~ I know that their long questions and might be confusing but if u guys can tell me if I can copy it multiple times or the kiln fiend stack that would be awesome because my deck basically survives off these rules...... Any input would be REALLY appreciated thanks
[/quote]
Posted 30 May 2010 at 18:11

ya sry about that i didnt sleep at all so im REALLY tired haha. i know its hard to understand it so i reorganized the questions so it should make sense and i didnt make it as long :p
Posted 30 May 2010 at 19:10

[QUOTE=Desant]so basically my deck revolves around spells and stuff [/QUOTE]

read up on the terminology it will probably make things clearer.

every card in magic (except lands) is a spell at the moment where you cast it.
some become Permanents, like Artifacts, Creatures, Enchantments, other simply go to the graveyard once their effect resolves, like Sorceries and Instants

what you're talking about is specifically Sorceries and Instants.

in the case of Kiln Fiend, he gets the +3/+0 bonus for each Sorcery or Instant that resolves, which includes copies.

as for copying in general, there's no limit beyond whatever the card allowing you to make the copies states itself. as long as you can pay the cost and the spell is still on the stack, you can keep making copies.

so yes, if you had two level 4 echo mages, you could pay :manau::manau::manau::manau: , tap them both and make 4 copies of one spell.
Posted 30 May 2010 at 23:12

[QUOTE=Seras]read up on the terminology it will probably make things clearer.

every card in magic (except lands) is a spell at the moment where you cast it.
some become Permanents, like Artifacts, Creatures, Enchantments, other simply go to the graveyard once their effect resolves, like Sorceries and Instants

what you're talking about is specifically Sorceries and Instants.

in the case of Kiln Fiend, he gets the +3/+0 bonus for each Sorcery or Instant that resolves, which includes copies.

as for copying in general, there's no limit beyond whatever the card allowing you to make the copies states itself. as long as you can pay the cost and the spell is still on the stack, you can keep making copies.

so yes, if you had two level 4 echo mages, you could pay :manau::manau::manau::manau: , tap them both and make 4 copies of one spell.[/QUOTE]

The answer to Kiln Fiend's power and toughness is incorrect Seras. Kiln Fiend only gets the bonus for each Instant or Sorcery that is cast, the copies from Echo Mage are put onto the stack directly. Most copies of spells aren't actually cast, save for a few exceptions (the copies from Isochron Scepter, for example).
Posted 30 May 2010 at 23:23

Oh ok i get it now well thanx alot :D, ya i know that every card that u play is a spell besides lands and artifacts and i was jsut wondering because when i said deck revolves around spells i meant like instants and sorcery spells so ty for clarifying everything :D both of u i appreciate it

~~Desant
Posted 31 May 2010 at 00:36

ONE more question cause i just thought of it when i finished reading ur responses.......... LETS say i play counterspell and i do twincast....... so thats 2 counterspells THEN i use my Echo mage his lvl 4 ability which i get to copy instant/sorcery(twice) but i copy Twincast do i get 4 counterspells? because the original (1) then twincast thats (2) then echo mage----> on Twincast then i get (4) OR is it if i use my lvl 4 ability on Echo Mage, do i get 2 more twincasts instead of the 2 counterspells XD basically....

I cast CS then Twincast then multiply my twincast with my echo mage which is only 6:manau: for all of that...... is that legal? cause if u read the ability and twincast it all says instant/sorcery so....... PLZ respond lol i know its a confusing concept but like i said i need to know couse ppl might accuse me of cheating and i can say that i asked experts and its allowed so ya..... if you still dont understand what im trying to get then reply and ill try to make it more clearer if i can :/ much appreciation if you can get back to me TY :D

Reason why im asking is im new to Magic so i wanna know if its legal couse if it is then i can make a pretty OP deck just by abusing the twincast/echo mage concept :D once again TY

~~Desant
Posted 31 May 2010 at 01:17

You only copy a single target spell that is on the stack, not the whole stack. So you would have 4 counterspells TOTAL if you choose counterspell. Twincast I've got no idea I'm too tired to understand a blue deck right now.

Now you know why most people start by teaching someone an aggro deck to learn them the rules >P
Posted 31 May 2010 at 02:43

copying a twincast would get you a twincast, that is to say, a spell on the stack that'll copy another spell on the stack. So it's really confusing. I'd have to lay it out with targets and everything to show what happens.
Posted 31 May 2010 at 03:58

[QUOTE=NightLoki]The answer to Kiln Fiend's power and toughness is incorrect Seras. Kiln Fiend only gets the bonus for each Instant or Sorcery that is cast, the copies from Echo Mage are put onto the stack directly. Most copies of spells aren't actually cast, save for a few exceptions (the copies from Isochron Scepter, for example).[/QUOTE]

My mistake, just reread the twincast rulings and it is mentioned there.
Posted 31 May 2010 at 09:28