Discussion Forum

Format Legality

I would like a tool that would indicate for which formats a deck is legal.

Being able to filter decks to browse only those which are standard-legal would be useful.
Posted 24 March 2009 at 21:05

Hello, welcome to the forums!

This one is actually trickier than it sounds, in order to work out if a deck contains only legal cards the code would have to look at each card in the deck, this of course would be fine just for individual decks.

When it comes to trying to do this for every deck in the system (well over 15,000 now) I get the feeling the page would simply take too long to load as we would have to check every card in every deck to see if it's legal or not.

I guess one way around this is to allow users to tag the decks as legal or not themselves, but of course this wouldn't always give you 100% accurate results.

Hmm...
Posted 24 March 2009 at 23:34

well, if i might be so bold, instead of having it check legality every time you searched, just have the system tag the deck when it's created and whenever it's edited. It'd be faster on the search and be really convenient for personally checking legality. Plus, all the search engine would have to do is check tags. Just an idea.
Posted 26 March 2009 at 02:11