Discussion Forum

Wrath of God Type Cards

I was just wondering what all cards are out their with the "Destroy all creatures" effects. I know these:
White: Wrath of God, Day of Judgement
Black: Damnation
Red: ???
Green: ???
Blue: ???

There's gotta be more than those though. And i swear i've seen a red one, which is the one i really want to find, but i can't remember what it is.
Posted 26 June 2010 at 16:19

Red: Breaking Point (1RR)
Devastation (5RR)
nothing for green, or blue.
Posted 27 June 2010 at 01:36

White: Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Austere Command, Catastrophe, Kirtar's Wrath, March of Souls, Planar Collapse, Rout, Sunscour
Blue:
Red: Breaking Point, Devastation, Jokulhaups, Mogg Infestation (one player)
Green: Whirlwind (flying only)
Black: Damnation, Decree of Pain, Plague Wind
Colorless: All Is Dust, Nevinyrral's Disk

Technically every color now has access to a board wipe now that All is Dust is out.
Posted 27 June 2010 at 03:23

[QUOTE=Shadowex3]Technically every color now has access to a board wipe now that All is Dust is out.[/QUOTE]

Oblivion stone and Nevinyrral's Disk have been doing the colorless sweep long before All is Dust showed up and they still do a better job. The only great thing about All is Dust is that it kills indestructable stuff.

some very important ones missed:
- Red: Obliterate (this is the strongest of all sweepers)
- Black: Decree of Pain (such a very important sweeper in multiplayer)
- White: Final Judgement (also so very important), but you have tons of others. White is the blow everything up color.
- green sucks
- blue: has Upheaval which is a game winning card
- gold: Razia's Purification is fun :) (especially with 3 planeswalkers at your end)
Posted 28 June 2010 at 09:03

Razia's with Bolas, Elspeth, and Chandra Ablaze... oh god.
Posted 29 June 2010 at 00:31

There's also this blue/black card in Alara Reborn, Soulquake. One of my favorite. Returns all creatures from field + grave to hand.
Posted 29 June 2010 at 21:31

[QUOTE=pastahunter]There's also this blue/black card in Alara Reborn, Soulquake. One of my favorite. Returns all creatures from field + grave to hand.[/QUOTE]

that's a pretty bad card as it doesn't create any kind of card advantage for the caster and that at the cost of 7 mana. It's pretty unplayable in any format.
Posted 30 June 2010 at 07:00

Novablast Wurm would be one creature with a similar ability.
Posted 02 July 2010 at 19:19

[QUOTE=Mattayo]Novablast Wurm would be one creature with a similar ability.[/QUOTE]

other sweeping creatures are

white: Myojin of Cleansing Fire
Gold: Child of Alara
Red: Desolation Giant
Black: Reiver Demon
Posted 02 July 2010 at 20:31

There is a white creature as well that for 2W2 destroys all creatures except himself...Mageta the Lion
Posted 05 July 2010 at 16:13

[QUOTE=Seth]that's a pretty bad card as it doesn't create any kind of card advantage for the caster and that at the cost of 7 mana. It's pretty unplayable in any format.[/QUOTE]

Oh, wait, but its black... Wait, black has Mind Shatter... Wait... oh, you're wrong.

Edit
Didn't think of this when I posted this, but still. Liliana's caress, Megrim. Your opponent will probably have more than 7 cards in his or her hand, right?
Posted 11 July 2010 at 14:36

Good card its won me atlesst 50 battles but its cost may catch you off gaurd. This card needs no explanation, its a nuclear bomb! It can get you out of any fix, its a massive reset button, and in a white weenie deck it screams ".
Posted 06 August 2010 at 14:07

kinda bad but evacuation for bluehttp://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=129541
Posted 07 August 2010 at 15:26

Blue has better. Especially when they're playing f#@%ing faeries, running the game to the end, and then if the game lasts long enough they decide to flash a dozen things and then cast temporal fissure with all that mana they have laying around...
Posted 08 August 2010 at 14:47

agreed, faries suck
Posted 01 September 2010 at 14:04

[QUOTE=pastahunter]Oh, wait, but its black... Wait, black has Mind Shatter... Wait... oh, you're wrong.
[/QUOTE]

That's card advantage solely from the Mind Shatter. It still doesn't make a case for Soulquake.
Posted 02 September 2010 at 13:59

Black Sun's Zenith hasn't been mentioned yet. The ability to toss out negative counters on every creature-and- get shuffled back into a library makes it very formidable as a board sweeper.

For specific threats, Perish has been ignored in this thread so far. Playing mono-black in Legacy, you're stuck with dealing with Elf Ball almost exclusively by this...

...for Mono-Black against Mono-White Weenie, Virtue's Ruin.

There's probably a way to play Wave of Terror, just I've never done it.

I always preferred the Powder Keg, another way of sweeping the board.

Pernicious Deed is pretty well-known for decks that can use it, usually as a sideboard item.

In the new type 2 Standard environment, we got a follow-up to the Powder Keg, in the form of Ratchet Bomb, a card that works similarly.

And for pure old school, there's the Nevinyrral's Disk, an old favorite that blows up everything. It was a favorite for the longest time because very few things had ways to protect from explosive artifacts.
Posted 10 March 2011 at 08:04