Discussion Forum

Two Quick Land Questions

Tainted Field has the ability to add either one WHITE or one BLACK mana when tapped as long as I have a swamp in play. Is this a BLACK and WHITE mana card or a neither?

Asking, because my deck uses cards like Cabal Coffers that adds a swamp for each Swamp I control when activated.

Also what is Cabal Coffers? Is it a nothing but an activated land ability or is it a Swamp?

Sorry one more question.... do you HAVE to play your land at the start of your turn or can you play it at any point in the turn? Say you have a creature with a landfall ability and want to play it first. Then you can lay a land. Is that legal without it being a search library activated ability to put lands into play.

Thanks
Posted 02 August 2010 at 01:39

Ok, to answer your first question, Tainted Field would not count as a swamp for Cabal Coffers because it does not say it is a swamp. HOWEVER if any card were to make Tainted field a swamp, then it would count.

Regarding your second question, you do not have to play a card at the beginning of your turn. I'm not sure of the exact breakdown of the steps/phases, but you can play a land at any point during your main phase.
Posted 02 August 2010 at 03:01

THANKS! I've only been playing for less then a year. That's why I have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. Turn all lands into swamps + their other land types. Would urborg, Tomb of yawgmoth make Cabal coffers a swamp thus being able to tap it for mana and gain a floating mana when using cabal's ability?
Posted 02 August 2010 at 03:10

[QUOTE=thedaringpastry]Tainted Field has the ability to add either one WHITE or one BLACK mana when tapped as long as I have a swamp in play. Is this a BLACK and WHITE mana card or a neither?[/quote]

A card has a color only when it has that color of mana in it's cost. Cards that cost only colorless mana, cards with no cost, and land are all colorless until altered by an effect.

[quote]
Asking, because my deck uses cards like Cabal Coffers that adds a swamp for each Swamp I control when activated.

Also what is Cabal Coffers? Is it a nothing but an activated land ability or is it a Swamp?[/quote]

Cabal Coffers is a Land but has no land types, and its ability is a for-pay activated mana ability.

[quote]
Sorry one more question.... do you HAVE to play your land at the start of your turn or can you play it at any point in the turn? Say you have a creature with a landfall ability and want to play it first. Then you can lay a land. Is that legal without it being a search library activated ability to put lands into play.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=thedaringpastry;11050]THANKS! I've only been playing for less then a year. That's why I have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. Turn all lands into swamps + their other land types. Would urborg, Tomb of yawgmoth make Cabal coffers a swamp thus being able to tap it for mana and gain a floating mana when using cabal's ability?[/QUOTE]

No, because you'd either be able to tap Cabal Coffers as a swamp for a single black mana or you'd be able to pay and tap it for its normal ability, you can't do both in a single tapping. It would however make Cabal's normal ability produce an extra mana from it's own type being swamp.
Posted 02 August 2010 at 20:54