Discussion Forum

Shroud vs Enchantments

if i have a creature with shroud could i put an enchantment on it because enchatments say,"enchant creature" and not "target creature"
Posted 22 August 2010 at 18:48

Nope, you have to target them to enchant them. The only way to do it is with one-way shroud.
Posted 22 August 2010 at 20:33

So when you say "one way shroud" do u mean spells like Canopy Cover?
Posted 22 August 2010 at 21:59

troll shroud's another bit of slang for it, means that it says it can't be targeted by spells or abilities your opponents control. I think that includes canopy cover, I don't remember.
Posted 23 August 2010 at 02:07

Yes, exactly like canopy cover. In fact that and Privileged Position are two of the easily recognized one-way-shroud cards.

it's a pretty important distinction, I've seen people screw themselves with sliver decks for example because once they get shrouded all of a suddeny none of their "target sliver" abilites are worth anything.
Posted 23 August 2010 at 05:20

You can get an aura on a shrouded creature with Sovereigns of Lost Alara or Zur the Enchanter, though.
Posted 24 August 2010 at 01:20

Sovereigns absolutely but I think Zur would only let you get static enchantments out rather than creature ones.
Posted 24 August 2010 at 06:41

Check Zur's Oracle Rulings on Gatherer-- it has one section specifically dealing with auras and targeting.
Posted 27 August 2010 at 03:38

*facepalm*

I'm too used to magiccards automatically displaying rulings.
Posted 27 August 2010 at 04:21