Discussion Forum

i have a question about double strike

does creatures with double strike hit the defending player twice?
Posted 28 August 2010 at 14:04

With Double Strike, the creature has first strike, and then strikes again in the normal combat phase. Basically, it's doing double its damage, the first set during first strike, then the next set during the normal phase.
Posted 28 August 2010 at 16:09

If someone blocks a creature that has double strike, although it is blocked, if the blocking creature is destroyed after first strike damage it is removed from the field of combat and is no longer in play to block the regular combat damage. If the blocker survives first strike damage, unless the attacking creature has trample no damage will make it to you (the Wizard) so your life total won't decrease.
Posted 31 August 2010 at 02:15

[QUOTE=goblinguide]If someone blocks a creature that has double strike, although it is blocked, if the blocking creature is destroyed after first strike damage it is removed from the field of combat and is no longer in play to block the regular combat damage. If the blocker survives first strike damage, unless the attacking creature has trample no damage will make it to you (the Wizard) so your life total won't decrease.[/QUOTE]

Is this the same if there are multiple blocking creatures? what if you have a 4/4 creature double strike and are facing a 1/1 1/1 2/2 does it just attack one creature and all the damage deals directly to it even if you have damage left to distribute? sorry, i feel like i know the answer. I think all the damage is addressed the same as the above statement. So does the first creature take all 8 damage it being the 2/2 (even though the second hit will be for a missed 6 damage) or can you distribute your first strike like you always do.(first strike) deal at least enough damage to a creature to kill it before going on. so 2,1,1 and the last damage is nothing because all the creatures are dead.
Posted 31 August 2010 at 02:48

The last one's right, you divide up your damage in the first-strike damage step and the regular damage doesn't happen because you don't have trample.
Posted 31 August 2010 at 02:57