Discussion Forum

Another Questions (noob alert) lol

Ahhh I had another question, but then I changed it to questions and the grammar doesn't make sense! Change the thread title to "More Questions" lol

How do you know when a card can be activated more then once per turn?

Nantuko Shade

This card for example, it has a colon, so does that mean you can actually tap multiple swamps and really make this card beastly?

Also, how does any card with a copy ability work? Like a card that picks another to make a copy from. It makes an exact copy of that card im guessing, but what card do you use? ANYTHING in play? card in hand? Non creature card?..I have no idea

Example Reverberate
Posted 29 August 2010 at 02:03

Unless it states restrictions you can use any activated ability as many times as you can pay the costs. Ordinarily tapping tends to be a once-per-turn restriction but if you can pay that cost multiple times (untapping a creature with a spell or another ability for example) then you can do it as many times as you can pay it.

So on Nantuko shade as long as you can pay :manab: you can keep using that ability. If it costed ":manab::symtap:" however you'd need to untap before you could throw more mana and tap it again to use the ability again.
Posted 29 August 2010 at 07:01

so him being a low cost super creature like that is really amazing for almsot no mana. you can use that after declaring him as a blocker too right? Pump him up and have some beefy creature take out an attacking one.
Posted 29 August 2010 at 07:52

yup, that works. You get priority before damage is dealt, so you can pump your little guy into a beast after he blocks.
Posted 29 August 2010 at 09:27

And that's why he costs a dollar
Posted 29 August 2010 at 18:57

ANOTHER NOOB QUESTION!

Can you only play attacking activated abilities during your attack turn or can I use my crypt rats tap mana for (x) dmg to each creature and player after i declare blockers and he/she states what order damage is being assigned?

Like keep it back as a safety net with death touch, whispersilk and just wait for him to try and horde me or even try something funny. It's pretty much like using a wrath of god to destroy everything but are abilities a attack only sorcery or can they be played like an instant?
Posted 30 August 2010 at 23:43

im pretty sure i had covered this in your other thread asking about it but activated abilities can be activated any time you have priority and can pay the cost, they have nothing to do with it being your combat phase.

ie: crypt rat's ability is not an "attacking" or "combat" ability.
Posted 31 August 2010 at 02:02

ok, my apologies. i just think about it too much
Posted 31 August 2010 at 02:29

its much easier if i give an example:

say your opponent cast a lightning bolt targeting your nantuko shade. you respond by casting reverberate, copying the lighting bolt. you then choose to target his goblin guide. and then he responded with a giant growth targeting his guide. then you respond again w/ a reverberate and you choose to copy the growth to target the shade.

resolution:
your second reverberate gives the shade +3/+3
your opponents giant growth gives the guide +3/+3
your first reverberate deals damage to the guide (it survives)
then the bolt deals damage to the shade (it survives as well)

to answer the question the reverberate card turns into whatever the target instant or sorcery that was cast. you just choose the new target for the spell
Posted 05 September 2010 at 13:19