Discussion Forum

mana cost of madness spells and Chalice

Hey Guys

If I play a Big Game Hunter for its madness cost is it's converted mana cost still 3 for the purpose of Chalice of the Void?

cheers

Seth
Posted 01 September 2010 at 14:23

yup, CMC doesn't change, no matter how you cast it.
Posted 01 September 2010 at 14:50

thanks mate
Posted 01 September 2010 at 15:00

anytime. At least it's not morph cmcs *shudder*
Posted 01 September 2010 at 15:03

Ironically, the card that's best at dodging Chalice of the Void IS Chalice of the Void (and other X spells). Because, you know, that card isn't annoying enough already!
Posted 02 September 2010 at 14:18

[QUOTE=scumbling1]Ironically, the card that's best at dodging Chalice of the Void IS Chalice of the Void (and other X spells). Because, you know, that card isn't annoying enough already![/QUOTE]

Like casting engineered explosives using 3 mana but only 2 colors with chalice on 2 :) yeah that's a cool trick.

By the way once explosives or chalice become a permanent their cost is 0 right? (and when they are on the stack they have a casting cost equal to the mana that was spend to cast them right?)
Posted 02 September 2010 at 14:41

Yes to both.
Posted 02 September 2010 at 14:50

Another related question

what's the converted mana cost of kicked spells?

Gatekeeper of Malakir for instance when kicked is he still CC 2 (for spell snare for instance) ?
Posted 09 September 2010 at 13:45

As I understood the cmc is always its regular cost (where X is 0). kickers are additional cost and don't count for cmc because it is "optional"..
Posted 09 September 2010 at 14:59

Man, if Lexus keeps this up I won't even have to comment on stuff anymore. Awesome! Yeah, CMC's the number version of whatever's printed in the upper-right hand corner, with no Mana Cost being CMC 0.
Posted 12 September 2010 at 23:53

Thanks guys

I played Pro Vengevine Survival at a 60man legacy tourney this weekend and had the head judge there verify it as well. CC remains the same.

I went 3-3 and had a fun day. I beat Sneak and Tell, Eva Green and Landstill. I lost to Storm combo, mono red Gridstone Combo and to a mirror match where I had to mulligan to deep 2 games in a row due to no usable land in my openings hand.
I had hoped to play against aggro as that was my best matchup but no such luck. Show and Tell/Sneak attack I was prepared for mainboard with Knight of the Reliquary and Karakas main and Gaddock Teeg side. Other combo decks like TES I could only sit there and take it :) Met some really cool guys there though. Much more fun then playing standard at GP Brussels. I'm sold on legacy.

I do think next time I'll switch to UW Survival so I'm better armed versus combo.

What was surprising to me was that the most commen deck played was Survival with vengevine combo. It was all over the place and well into the top 8.
Posted 13 September 2010 at 07:32