Discussion Forum

EDH rule question

I've found myself rather addicted to the EDH format for whatever reason and a couple cards in my deck have brought about an issue as to whether they are playable in my deck or not. I have looked through all the rules I can find online and haven't found anything to back up the claim.

I was discussing my EDH deck with a new friend (literally just met him) and he said that I can't play Snake Basket or Orachi Hatchery in my deck because my general is U/B/W. His arguement is that cards in my deck can't produce Green creatures since green isn't in my General's symbols. My research finds that only mana symbols are subject to this restriction not "Color Word."

Am I right or wrong? I'm not interested in the "I told you so" factor, just want to make a deck that is legal.
Posted 28 September 2010 at 21:52

the restriction is on mana symbols not color words. You can use for instance esper panorama :

{1}, {T}, Sacrifice Esper Panorama: Search your library for a basic Plains, Island, or Swamp card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

In a deck that isn't allowed to play blue, but you can't include Arcane Sanctum:

{T}: Add {W}, {U}, or {B} to your mana pool.

Because it has the U color symbol on the card.

So you are allowed to play Snake Basket or Orachi Hatchery in any EDH deck.
Posted 29 September 2010 at 07:04

[QUOTE=Bonzai820]I've found myself rather addicted to the EDH format for whatever reason and a couple cards in my deck have brought about an issue as to whether they are playable in my deck or not. I have looked through all the rules I can find online and haven't found anything to back up the claim.

I was discussing my EDH deck with a new friend (literally just met him) and he said that I can't play Snake Basket or Orachi Hatchery in my deck because my general is U/B/W. His arguement is that cards in my deck can't produce Green creatures since green isn't in my General's symbols. My research finds that only mana symbols are subject to this restriction not "Color Word."

Am I right or wrong? I'm not interested in the "I told you so" factor, just want to make a deck that is legal.[/QUOTE]

On another note, but not too far off track, I just found out that you can't use Hybrid cards that contain the colors you deck doesn't. I made a red EDH deck, and tried adding hybrid cards that I could cast just using the red mana, but because of the other colored mana symbols in the cards they were illegal.
Posted 29 September 2010 at 07:34