Discussion Forum

Edit deck page

Hi,

A couple of things:

1. Where is the direct link at the edit page? It was the only way to go directly from the edit page to the statistic page.
2. Every other magic website has hoover over pictures (when you move over a cardname it shows a picture). It would be really helpful if this site had that too. Speeds up the searching immensely.
3. Cardnames at the edit deck page do not link directly to magiccards.info anymore. Why is that? Also, why does clicking on cards always lead to a completely new tab in stead of a small new window? It's not very efficient tbh.
4. When searching on card text you have to be very exact, unlike magiccards.info.

These are the 4 reasons I search on magiccards.info and then add the cards on your website. It's not very efficient ;)

5. Ever since some updates I have to relogin a lot. When I edit decks there is no problem but as soon as I go to my progile to check out a deck it just logs out sometimes. No idea why.

Hoover-over pictures would be the first thing I would build into this website. I've seen websites that looked 20 times uglier and cheaper and still they had the hoover over function.

Cheers,
idm

Edit: ups. I posted this in bugs while it should be in the suggestion forum. Sorry 'bout that ;)
Posted 29 September 2010 at 10:12

1) It looked rather out of place on the edit deck page. Will look at adding a button on or something.
2) We never used to have card pages with images and when we added them, it added over 200gb of bandwidth usage to our hosting account. Adding image hover overs will definitely push this even higher, and I'd guess a lot lot higher, as it's so easy to hover over. It's a cool function though, I agree. We need to sort out our hosting first though. Remember the site is free and we don't take donations, the google / ebay ads are funding all hosting fees atm.
3) That was a mistake to link through to magiccards.info. I only noticed this the other day. We could use the pop up window from the card search page i guess....
4) I have added an autocomplete in the past week, this should make searching easier. When you say very exact, you mean spelt correctly, yea? or punctuation etc?
5) I've got a couple of changes to do to the login system tonight, which will hopefully persist login 2hrs and add cookies, so it won't log you out for 2hrs, unless you choose too ofc.

Will move this thread, hope it answers a few questions. Remember we are always doing updates, adding in new sets etc and this is only a part time project. So bear with us while we attempt to take everyones suggestions in AND improve the site at the same time, while doing it for free and in our spare time :p

Cheers
Posted 29 September 2010 at 15:29

Hey :)

Thanks for you reply man. Now I understand some of the choices you made :)

About the fourth suggestion: With 'exact' I mean that if you're searching on text (rulings) of a card, you have to type in the exact text that's on the card. Isn't there a way to make it more google like? So for instance if I were looking for a card that will let me draw two cards I could search like:

Draw card

or like

"Draw two cards"

" " are used in most search engines to search exactly on the text that's between the " ". When you don't use it, it will just search through all the text and show you every card with either (or both) words in them. They use that system on magiccards.info too. No idea if that is easy to fix. I can imagine that it's not ;)

Thanks again for answering. Cheers,
idm
Posted 29 September 2010 at 15:41

Ahhhh yea, that is a bit crap. Ideally I want to do something like Gatherer, where if you type in Draw Card it automatically searchs "Draw" or "Card", but not THAT easy to do, but it's definitely something I want to add. I could split the string on spaces and then search.. hmm...

I'm looking at revamping the edit deck process atm, so will have a look at that at the same time!

Thansk for the suggestions

Cheers

Ian
Posted 29 September 2010 at 15:47

Allrighty :)

Thank you for your quick replies. Cheers,
idm
Posted 29 September 2010 at 15:55