Discussion Forum

Changeling question

This might sound stupid or weird, but how does changeling work with cards like Coat of Arms? Say I got 4 changeling creatures in the battlefield, and perhaps one other (say a knight). What would be the bonuses for each creature?
Posted 11 June 2009 at 06:15

yes and no, on their own they are just considered shapeshifters so if you have three changlings on the field then they get +2/+2.

however if you have three changlings out and someone has a soldier out and a goblin out then all of the creatures on the field get +4/+4.

But, the key is that they can only get the extra bonuses if a creature of another type is on the field.
Posted 28 June 2009 at 23:17

i'm not sure: there are 3 changelings on the board that = 3 goblins, 3 soldiers...... so +2/+2 for ea. creture type so +▓/+▓
Posted 29 December 2009 at 16:16

Coat of Arms counts each other creature individually, so even a creature with changeling will still only count as a +1/+1 for another creature.

Basically it works like this: Find the creature you want to figure out the p/t of. Count how many other creatures share a creature type with it. Only count each single creature once (even if it shares more than one creature type, it still only counts as one). Once you're done counting, add that to the P/T of your chosen creature, and voila. Example time:

You control 4 1/1 creatures with the Changeling ability, and a Goblin Warrior (2/2). The changelings are 5/5 each, and the Goblin Warrior is a 6/6. If there's anything else I can do to clarify, ask away.
Posted 15 January 2010 at 09:18

Say there's 3 changeling's out and a merfolk. Each creature would get +3/+3, because of what Coat of Arms says.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=207927&type=card

Changeling says that it is all creature types, and each changeling shares a creature type with each other creature, so it gets +1/+1 for each other creature on the battlefield.
Posted 28 January 2010 at 04:51

almost Dan, Changelings get +1/+1 for each other creature on the battlefield with a creature type. A small distinction, but relevant, especially back in Lorwyn block where Nameless Inversion was running around.
Posted 28 January 2010 at 22:35

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I have never heard of nameless inversion so...
Posted 29 January 2010 at 23:41

[QUOTE=NightLoki]almost Dan, Changelings get +1/+1 for each other creature on the battlefield with a creature type. A small distinction, but relevant, especially back in Lorwyn block where Nameless Inversion was running around.[/QUOTE]

I always thought that since they count as every creature type they just get treated as though they were flatly whatever creature type had the most on the board at the time.
Posted 30 January 2010 at 00:58

No, i believe they are knights, soldiers, elves, goblins, orcs, merfolk, etc, all at the same time.
Posted 30 January 2010 at 01:03

Yes, that's what being all creature types at once means. The question would be then how does that interact with coat of arms. Either their P/T is equal to if they were flatly whatever has the most on the board, or more complexly they get +1/+1 for every other creature that enters the battlefield.

Thinking about it more I'm starting to think it IS more the latter.
Posted 30 January 2010 at 01:29

Changelings get +1/+1 for each other creature that is on the battlefield (except for Nameless Race). Any other creature on the battlefield gets +1/+1 for each Changeling on the battlefield. Coat of Arms asks a simple yes or no question of every creature on the battefield; it doesn't care how many creature types match between any two given creatures, just if there is, or is not, some common ground.
Posted 30 January 2010 at 02:23

yeah, i forgot about nameless race too. So that's two cards that make Coat of Arms more complicated, yay.
Posted 30 January 2010 at 17:50

The next time an opponent pulls out a Nameless Race against you, could you please take a photo and document this bizarre occasion? :D
Posted 31 January 2010 at 03:21

There's no way I'll see nameless race, it isn't played in Extended, Lorwyn's not in Standard anymore, and it's not useful enough in EDH
Posted 31 January 2010 at 16:06