Discussion Forum

Planeswalkers and Infect

Ok - a creature with infect attacks. I choose not to block it. My opponent declared in advance that it is attacking my Planeswalker. What happens?
Are loyalty counters removed? Or does the planeswalker merely get infect counters that do nothing to it since planeswalkers do not have power/toughness - only "loyalty strength".
By the way when is the braintrust at WotC going to make some cards that make Planeswalkers less "loyal" then? Can't we corrupt them some-(other than with the spell Corrupt) heck we have corruption in government everywhere we turn?
Goblin Guide
Posted 06 October 2010 at 19:39

[QUOTE=goblinguide]Ok - a creature with infect attacks. I choose not to block it. My opponent declared in advance that it is attacking my Planeswalker. What happens?
Are loyalty counters removed? Or does the planeswalker merely get infect counters that do nothing to it since planeswalkers do not have power/toughness - only "loyalty strength".[/quote]

Infect doesn't change how a creature interacts with planeswalkers, it only changes how the creature interacts with players and creatures.

In your scenario, the damage the creature deals will cause loyalty counters to be removed, as normal.

[quote]By the way when is the braintrust at WotC going to make some cards that make Planeswalkers less "loyal" then? Can't we corrupt them some-(other than with the spell Corrupt) heck we have corruption in government everywhere we turn?
Goblin Guide[/QUOTE]

I believe they're refraining from making planeswalker-specific cards on purpose; it's a rare card type and they want it handled by already-existing things like combat, burn, and cards like Boomerang that can affect any permanent.
Posted 07 October 2010 at 01:11

[QUOTE=Aneximines]Infect doesn't change how a creature interacts with planeswalkers, it only changes how the creature interacts with players and creatures.

In your scenario, the damage the creature deals will cause loyalty counters to be removed, as normal.

I believe they're refraining from making planeswalker-specific cards on purpose; it's a rare card type and they want it handled by already-existing things like combat, burn, and cards like Boomerang that can affect any permanent.[/QUOTE]

I was sort of afraid of that. At least, then, they could let you decide whether combat damage is dealt to your opponent's life total or a Planeswalker after blocker's are declared. I mean, if you are James Bond 007 and make it over the wall undetected (slip through their defenses) don't you get to decide which building to break into and which secrets to steal? You certainly don't announce your target to your enemy. But alas WotC doesn't listen to Goblin Guides like me.
Posted 07 October 2010 at 03:11