Discussion Forum

riddlesmith+memnite+vengevine

say i cast riddlesmith and it resolves. then i cast memnite. riddlesmith's ability triggers, allowing me to draw a card then discard a card. i discard vengevine. will the vengevine come into the battlefield because i've cast 2 creatures?

im asking because in 1 game a friend of mine said that vengevine's 2nd ability will not trigger but i disagree since casted 2 creatures this turn.
Posted 13 October 2010 at 20:42

no it will not
Posted 13 October 2010 at 22:30

[QUOTE=jiggs]say i cast riddlesmith and it resolves. then i cast memnite. riddlesmith's ability triggers, allowing me to draw a card then discard a card. i discard vengevine. will the vengevine come into the battlefield because i've cast 2 creatures?[/quote]

No.

[quote]im asking because in 1 game a friend of mine said that vengevine's 2nd ability will not trigger but i disagree since casted 2 creatures this turn.[/QUOTE]

True, but there are timing issues. The Vengevine must be in the graveyard for its ability to trigger, but it doesn't get into the graveyard until after you've cast the second creature spell.

You have the Riddlesmith on the battlefield.
You cast Memnite. It goes on the stack as a creature spell.
Riddlesmith's ability triggers and goes on the stack on top of the Memnite.
*Riddlesmith's ability resolves. You draw and discard the 'vine.
Memnite resolves and enters the battlefield.

* - At this point, the 'vine is in the graveyard, ready to jump out as soon as you cast a creature spell. The problem is that you already cast Memnite - you cast it so long ago that a whole ability went on the stack and resolved in the meantime. So the 'vine didn't see it; it's now sitting in the graveyard waiting for you to cast again.
Posted 14 October 2010 at 06:37