Discussion Forum

Double Strike question

Ok, I understand the rules really well, but I took about a 5-6 year break from the game and while I did they created Double Strike. I understand that the creature deals first strike damage, and then deals regular damage. What I don't understand is why if the first strike damage is leathal for the blocker, the regular damage doesn't go through to the opponent? Here's an example:

My attacking 3/3 Double Striker gets blocked by a 1/1 (no abilities). The 3 first strike damage should kill the 1/1 allowing another 3 to go to my opponent. For some reason the 1/1 is able to obsorb all 6 damage. Can anyone explain why this is?

I think my scenario is right, cause I only play MTGO, so it's not just someone telling me I'm wrong... lol.
Posted 16 October 2010 at 05:15

Combat damage is dealt in stages and has specific characteristics. During the regular combat stage the only way to deal damage to the opposing player is for your attacking creature to not be blocked or have trample. Consider the same for First Strike damage. It can only deal damage by havin trample or just not being blocked. If both follow that rule individually then it's only right for them to follow that rule together. I understand that might not be the indepth answer you were looking for, but it's the most descriptive I can create.

Also, consider how they have changed the stack. If you block/sac a creature the damage isn't dealt to the attacking creature, but the attacking creature is still considered blocked.

Hope that is somewhat helpful.
Posted 16 October 2010 at 11:48

Actually yes, that was a perfect answer. Thank you. I never thought about it in the same way as a creature is still concidered blocked even if the blocker is sac'ed.
Posted 17 October 2010 at 04:12

although to be perfectly frank the whole i block now im sac'in it your still blocked by my dead creature. i find that to be ten and a half kinds of crap to be honest i know my opinion won't change anything but seriously how does that work? :mad:
Posted 20 October 2010 at 14:35

[QUOTE=thegathered]although to be perfectly frank the whole i block now im sac'in it your still blocked by my dead creature. i find that to be ten and a half kinds of crap to be honest i know my opinion won't change anything but seriously how does that work? :mad:[/QUOTE]

indeed it won't :D..

Whenever a creature bocomes blocked it stays blocked no matter what..

[QUOTE]509.1h An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a blocked creature; one with no creatures declared as blockers for it becomes an unblocked creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat, an effect says that it becomes blocked or unblocked, or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. A creature remains blocked even if all the creatures blocking it are removed from combat.[/QUOTE]
Posted 20 October 2010 at 14:44

i know it does but still i find that stupid
Posted 20 October 2010 at 14:49

I think it's wsm!!

you're able to block a wurmcoil engine without having it kill your creature or let your opp gain life...or block those nasty titans and dragons..or if you play black, block and sac for your vampire..

that's what makes Argent Sphinx o so good, or master transmuter for that matter....
Posted 20 October 2010 at 15:09

[QUOTE=thegathered]i know it does but still i find that stupid[/QUOTE]

This is the way I imagine it:

When a creature is blocked by another creature, it stops its advance and squares off with the blocking creature.

Then, as they begin to engage, the blocking creature is snatched away by its godlike controller, to be thrown into a furnace or fed to another creature or whatever.

At that point, the attacking creature has already stopped and lost all momentum. Combat is already being concluded and it can't make it the rest of the way to the enemy base before the general retreat.

Tramplers are a different story, of course. They don't stop for blocking creatures to begin with (they just smash as they pass), so if their blocker vanishes mid-combat, they just shrug and keep going.
Posted 20 October 2010 at 18:19

[QUOTE=Aneximines]
When a creature is blocked by another creature, it stops its advance and squares off with the blocking creature.

Then, as they begin to engage, the blocking creature is snatched away by its godlike controller, to be thrown into a furnace or fed to another creature or whatever.

At that point, the attacking creature has already stopped and lost all momentum. Combat is already being concluded and it can't make it the rest of the way to the enemy base before the general retreat.

Tramplers are a different story, of course. They don't stop for blocking creatures to begin with (they just smash as they pass), so if their blocker vanishes mid-combat, they just shrug and keep going.[/QUOTE]

wsm! I always forget the great planeswalker story line behind magic..so true so true..I have great respect for everything (names, abilities, types, gameplay, keywords etc) beeing correct and fitting within the story behind the game!!
Posted 20 October 2010 at 18:33

@Aneximinesyou sir have just convinced me to accept this rule with your mighty logic i bow to you
Posted 20 October 2010 at 20:01

Since we are kind of on the subject... lol. I hate how they changed how damage doesn't go on the stack... Things like Sakura Tribe Elder used to be so good when you could have them do their combat damage and still sac them for their ability. I miss that so much. That and mana burn are the things I miss most about the old rules.
Posted 20 October 2010 at 21:08

yeah without mana burn its like im gonna get an insane amount of mana and not know what to do with half of it and than take no damage whatsoever mana burn was awesome
Posted 21 October 2010 at 01:52

I did find the removal of mana burn somewhat odd at first. As if Mana Drain and Sol Ring really needed buffing.

I can kind of understand it, though. Mana burn was an unintuitive appendage to the rules, something that seldom came up and when you told a newbie about it - usually when the newbie would be suffering from it - he would usually give you a "you must be ****ing me" expression. It was, simply, an unnecessary complication to an already complex game.

Still, I do miss it. It was flavorful and charming.
Posted 21 October 2010 at 09:29

It just seemed like it was another thing you had to strategize for you know. You couldn't just tap your lands for mana without consequence. We would always play that you couldn't undo any moves, like if you tap a land for mana and then decide you want to change your mind you were just stuck with mana in your pool that would hit you.
Posted 21 October 2010 at 12:37

yeah and its not like its too hard for the newbies to understand after the first time they're like ooh wait i keep them untapped!
but i do miss the burn it was a way to kill people that was kinda fun to do and not particularly easy.
Posted 21 October 2010 at 18:26

Hey, i wonder, i used my sunburst angel with double strike to atk my opponent's heart smelter dragon, so, my first strike will deal 4 damage, and then i will deal another 4. SO in this case, both of us will die or will the heartsmelter dragon survive after taking the initial 4 damage, and my creature cant deal another 4 from its normal damage?
Posted 01 November 2010 at 06:30

both creatures die because the dragon doesn't die from the first strike and than each deal normal damage to each other the angel will finish the dragon the dragon will kill the angel.
Posted 01 November 2010 at 13:48

Ok, thnx! My friend didnt believed me........haiz.
Posted 01 November 2010 at 16:02