Discussion Forum

Multiple triggers vie for control.

How do multiple It That Betrays, Necroskitter, or other cards that trigger to gain control of a permanent, resolve when triggered and under the control of multiple players?

If possible, please cite the rule(s) used to explain this process (###.#x). I'm not quite sure where to look in the rules, so if somebody else does, thanks for your time! :)
Posted 19 October 2010 at 13:29

it resolves as it is put on the stack really..

So when your opp would sac a card with a wither counter on it

6/15/2010: If the sacrificed permanent that caused the second ability to trigger somehow leaves the graveyard before the ability resolves (possibly because it was returned to the battlefield by the ability of another It That Betrays), the ability simply won't do anything when it resolves.

Your Necro triggers on the graveyard so will go ontop of the stack and resolve first.... imho it looks like this; attack, Sac, Sac trigger, hit graveyard, Necro triggers, necro resolves, put under control, Eldrazi resolves, nothing to return...

At least this is how I understand it..
Posted 19 October 2010 at 19:05

i believe the question is about situations like this:

a 3 player free for all game,
players 1 and 2 each have a necroskitter in play,

it's player 3's turn and one of his creatures dies(with a -1/-1 counter on it).

who gets control of the creature?

i haven't been able to figure out an answer for this(or an equivalent ruling), will probably need a judge.
Posted 19 October 2010 at 19:24

ahhhh like that owk...that indeed is intresting...

I'd say in order of priority...so in that case player 1's necro will go on the stack first so Player 2 will get the creature...

otherwise there would be no sollution except for the dude that screams first he wants it :P
Posted 19 October 2010 at 19:38

Although the multiplayer section of the rules is described as "optional," the APNAP rule in the rules proper is worded so that it still makes sense in games with more than two players:

405.3. If an effect puts two or more objects on the stack at the same time, those controlled by the active player are put on lowest, followed by each other player’s objects in APNAP order (see rule 101.4). If a player controls more than one of these objects, that player chooses their relative order on the stack.

101.4. If multiple players would make choices and/or take actions at the same time, the active player (the player whose turn it is) makes any choices required, then the next player in turn order (usually the player seated to the active player’s left) makes any choices required, followed by the remaining nonactive players in turn order. Then the actions happen simultaneously. This rule is often referred to as the “Active Player, Nonactive Player (APNAP) order” rule.

Extending this in the obvious way to multiplayer games, simultaneously triggering abilities would go on the stack in turn order of their controllers, starting with the player whose turn it is. Then you work out the consequences by the ordinary rules.

[QUOTE=Seras]i believe the question is about situations like this:

a 3 player free for all game,
players 1 and 2 each have a necroskitter in play,

it's player 3's turn and one of his creatures dies(with a -1/-1 counter on it).

who gets control of the creature?[/QUOTE]

In this case, the 'skitter controller whose turn is furthest away would "win" this one. This is because his 'skitter effect would go on the stack last and so (barring things like Stifle) resolve first, removing the creature from the graveyard. The other 'skitter effects would then fail to find the creature and do nothing.
Posted 20 October 2010 at 03:20

In other words I was right?
Posted 20 October 2010 at 06:40

In your second post, yes. :)

Thank you for the rules citations, Anexi! I like to be able to provide rules references to other players when situations like this arise, to avoid contention and prevent tangents... this is exactly the sort of thing that could set a game back 30 minutes while we all discuss it, ending in a rushed house rule to mend the problem and continue on with the game. I absolutely dislike house rules :P

Thank you for the help guys &&/|| gals ^_^
Posted 21 October 2010 at 23:41