Discussion Forum

Engineered Plague

Hey guys,

I am playing with a soldier deck - and I have a few rule related questions about Engineered Plague.

When Engineered Plague comes into play, choose a creature type. All creatures of the chosen type get -1/-1.

Question 1: Is Soldier a creature type - or a creature sub-type? In other words - if a deck has "Human Soldier" and "Kor Soldier" cards - may an opponent name "Soldier" as creature type, or must "Human" or "Kor" be chosen? Or is the creature type "Human Soldier" and "Kor Soldier" without any subtype?

Question 2: What creature types and/or subtypes has soldier tokens from the card Raise the alarm?

Thanks
Posted 23 October 2010 at 16:50

[QUOTE=DavidF]Question 1: Is Soldier a creature type - or a creature sub-type? In other words - if a deck has "Human Soldier" and "Kor Soldier" cards - may an opponent name "Soldier" as creature type, or must "Human" or "Kor" be chosen? Or is the creature type "Human Soldier" and "Kor Soldier" without any subtype?[/quote]

The term "creature type" refers to subtypes that creatures (and tribal cards) can have.

A card/token can have more than one of these subtypes.

Soldier, Human, and Kor are each creature types.

If you have a Human Soldier and a Kor Soldier, both would be effected by the Plague if "Soldier" was chosen but only the first would be effected if "Human" was chosen.

[quote]Question 2: What creature types and/or subtypes has soldier tokens from the card Raise the alarm?[/QUOTE]

The tokens have one creature type: Soldier. Incidentally, that is also the name of the tokens (for things like Echoing Truth).
Posted 23 October 2010 at 19:44

Thanks, that made sense.

I looked it up in the comprehensive rules, and in 302.3 it actually states "Creature subtypes are also called creature types".
Posted 24 October 2010 at 08:58