Discussion Forum

Mimic vat

I was wondering, since mimic vat has the ability to mimic creatures into tokens does the creatures mimiked have the same ability? Also, it says exile the creature at your next end step. Does this mean the creature can last for 2 of my turns before it is exiled?
Posted 24 October 2010 at 16:58

[QUOTE=olataro]I was wondering, since mimic vat has the ability to mimic creatures into tokens does the creatures mimiked have the same ability?[/quote]

Yes, it has pretty much everything, down to the expansion symbol.

A copy of a card has that card's name, mana cost (and thus color), supertypes (like legendary), types (things like creature and artifact and such), subtypes (like Soldier or Goblin or whatever), expansion symbol, rules text (all the abilities), power, toughness and/or loyalty.

[quote]Also, it says exile the creature at your next end step. Does this mean the creature can last for 2 of my turns before it is exiled?[/QUOTE]

Not quite. If you create the copy during your end step, it will last all through your opponent's next turn and be exiled at the beginning of his end step (it says "the" next end step, not "your" next end step). So it will be on the battlefield during two separate turns (the tail end of yours and most of your opponent's) but not two of your turns.

edit: or what you could do is use the Vat during your opponent's end step. Do this with a creature with a tap ability. That way you can use the ability both right when you get the creature (because it has haste) and then during your turn (because it will be there for your untap step).

This trick earned some notoriety with Waylay. It's clear from the lack of haste and flavor of the card that the tokens were meant to be blockers, not attackers. But what people would do is play Waylay at the end of their opponent's turn so the tokens would last through their own turn, during which they would be over their summoning sickness and be able to attack. Like a white Ball Lightning. (Waylay has since received errata to fix that; the tokens are now exiled during the next cleanup step - the truly very last part of the turn - rather than at the beginning of the end step)
Posted 24 October 2010 at 19:25

As always, thnx a lot. Very useful. My friend, both of em each got 1 mythic rare, geth the vault lord and err, some mimic creature with 7atk, 7 toughness. I am stuck with mimic vat though, but it seems to be useful with my myr deck!
Posted 24 October 2010 at 23:54

[QUOTE=olataro]As always, thnx a lot. Very useful. My friend, both of em each got 1 mythic rare, geth the vault lord and err, some mimic creature with 7atk, 7 toughness. I am stuck with mimic vat though, but it seems to be useful with my myr deck![/QUOTE]

I would take Mimic Vat over both of your friend's cards.
Posted 25 October 2010 at 01:12

Oh? why so?
Posted 25 October 2010 at 16:34

[QUOTE=olataro]Oh? why so?[/QUOTE]

The Quicksilver Gargantuan is just unwieldy. It's very situational for how expensive it is.

Geth, Lord of the Vault is better because it's slightly cheaper, comes with its own evasion, and has a cool ability. It's still pretty pricey and a bit situational, though.

In blue and black, expensive creatures are usually best used as finishers in control-oriented decks. The qualities you want in such a creature are that it be threatening, durable, and as self-reliant as possible.

The Gargantuan is certainly big, but it has no inherent abilities to make it evasive enough to put that size to good use or resilient against any kind of removal besides burn; it might be excellent with the right creature to copy but it just isn't reliable.

Geth is better because he comes with intimidate and resists Doom Blade as well as Lightning Bolt, but there's a lot of other removal out there and his reanimation ability, though fun, isn't reliably abusable because it depends on your opponent's deck.

Mimic Vat, on the other hand, has a low enough cost that it will actually come into play and start being a factor much sooner than the other two cards. It is more reliable because there will be creatures you want to copy - your own - and creatures have this tendency to die in normal gameplay (and you may like sacrificing your own creatures). So it will be well-stocked even if your opponent has no creatures you want. It can also evolve by imprinting different creatures as the game goes on.

Another thing is that imprint cards usually risk card disadvantage by imprinting one of your cards that you would otherwise use on its own. The Vat, on the other hand, extends the usefulness of cards that you're already using. Indeed, if there's a key creature you really want to keep, the Vat makes it that much harder for your opponent to truly get rid of it.

It's a nice card. Very playable.
Posted 25 October 2010 at 20:08

haha, spoken like a pro!
Posted 25 October 2010 at 23:11

[QUOTE=Aneximines]The Quicksilver Gargantuan is just unwieldy. It's very situational for how expensive it is.

Geth, Lord of the Vault is better because it's slightly cheaper, comes with its own evasion, and has a cool ability. It's still pretty pricey and a bit situational, though.

In blue and black, expensive creatures are usually best used as finishers in control-oriented decks. The qualities you want in such a creature are that it be threatening, durable, and as self-reliant as possible.

The Gargantuan is certainly big, but it has no inherent abilities to make it evasive enough to put that size to good use or resilient against any kind of removal besides burn; it might be excellent with the right creature to copy but it just isn't reliable.

Geth is better because he comes with intimidate and resists Doom Blade as well as Lightning Bolt, but there's a lot of other removal out there and his reanimation ability, though fun, isn't reliably abusable because it depends on your opponent's deck.

Mimic Vat, on the other hand, has a low enough cost that it will actually come into play and start being a factor much sooner than the other two cards. It is more reliable because there will be creatures you want to copy - your own - and creatures have this tendency to die in normal gameplay (and you may like sacrificing your own creatures). So it will be well-stocked even if your opponent has no creatures you want. It can also evolve by imprinting different creatures as the game goes on.

Another thing is that imprint cards usually risk card disadvantage by imprinting one of your cards that you would otherwise use on its own. The Vat, on the other hand, extends the usefulness of cards that you're already using. Indeed, if there's a key creature you really want to keep, the Vat makes it that much harder for your opponent to truly get rid of it.

It's a nice card. Very playable.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what he just said, is why I would take the Vat over both of those cards... Well spoken Aneximines...

Ok, now I don't want to start another thread about this card, but I do have a question about Mimic Vat... It seems to me like a noob question, and probably know the answer, but thought I would ask. Mimic Vat just puts a token into play right, so any affect the creature may have if cast doesn't trigger right? Like, if you Mimic'ed an Emrakul, you wouldn't have infinite turns, right? I'm assuming not. The only reason I ask is because I was watching Channelfireball's Magic Show, and the dude (I forgot his name), said that a possibility with the Vat is to copy Emrakul and have unlimited turns... That doesn't seem right to me.
Posted 27 October 2010 at 06:19

Haha, maybe.Remember, it copies all its abilities. I can keep on summon myr batlesphere and had it pump out dozens of tokens.~ lol Imba!

I think they will remove it from the game in the next expansion
Posted 27 October 2010 at 13:23

I read amakarul's effect. Basicaly, yes, your opponent is screwed, but 15 mana is nearly impossible to get. So i doubt you will reach so far in a game.
Posted 27 October 2010 at 13:24

[QUOTE=pete_h]Mimic Vat just puts a token into play right, so any affect the creature may have if cast doesn't trigger right? Like, if you Mimic'ed an Emrakul, you wouldn't have infinite turns, right? [/QUOTE]

You are right. Mimic Vat doesn't cast anything. It just puts a copy directly onto the battlefield.

This means you will not get the extra turn from Emrakul, the Aeons Torn's extra-turn ability, because you didn't cast it.

Similarly, it would be a bad idea to use Phage the Untouchable with Mimic Vat.

[QUOTE=olataro;15022]Haha, maybe.Remember, it copies all its abilities. I can keep on summon myr batlesphere and had it pump out dozens of tokens.~ lol Imba![/QUOTE]

It does copy both the Battlesphere's enters-the-battlefield ability and Emrakul's when-you-cast ability.

The difference is that while the Vat does cause the copy to enter the battlefield - thus triggering the Battlesphere's ability - it does not in any sense "cast" the copy - thus Emrakul would be unfulfilled.
Posted 27 October 2010 at 22:49