Discussion Forum

Tokens and Life Gain

If I'm playing a card like Soul Warden or Soul's Attendant along with a card like Emeria Angel, do I gain life for the bird tokens that come into play?
Posted 04 November 2010 at 20:05

yes.

they trigger on a creature entering the battlefield and a creature has entered the battlefield..pretty straightforward
Posted 04 November 2010 at 20:11

I wasn't sure if tokens were technically creatures. Some things in MTG make sense like that and others don't.
So, I'm playing someone that uses a lot of Eldrazi Spawn Tokens, I gain life for each Spawn they create? Good deal.
Posted 04 November 2010 at 20:17

[QUOTE=ZacAttackFtw]Some things in MTG make sense like that and others don't. [/QUOTE]

Things make sense if you have firm understanding of how all the terms are defined.

For example, Carrion Call won't cause Hand of the Praetors's ability to trigger. Why? Because that ability only triggers when you cast a creature spell with infect, and the thing you cast is Carrion Call, which isn't a creature.

But, Carrion Call will (if it isn't countered) cause Soul's Attendant's ability to trigger. Why? Because creatures (the tokens in this case are creatures because the effect that created them says that they are) entered the battlefield.

Things are very carefully defined in this game's rules. Given those definitions, things really are straightforward. It's just that given the game's complexity, there is, absent a meticulous reading of the rules, room for confusion.
Posted 05 November 2010 at 05:34