Discussion Forum

Sacrifice

If I am forced to sacrifice a creature, am I able to use another ability with the ability that made me sacrifice the creature in the first place, or is the creature just sacrificed without me being able to sacrifice it for another reason?

eg: I have Phyrexian Defiler on the field, and an opponent makes me sacrifice a creature. Can I sacrifce Phyrexian Defiler with its ability and to the effect of the spell my opponent played.
Posted 14 November 2010 at 04:57

[QUOTE=nightcreeper58]If I am forced to sacrifice a creature, am I able to use another ability with the ability that made me sacrifice the creature in the first place, or is the creature just sacrificed without me being able to sacrifice it for another reason?[/quote]

The creature is just sacrificed to that effect and for nothing else.

[quote]eg: I have Phyrexian Defiler on the field, and an opponent makes me sacrifice a creature. Can I sacrifce Phyrexian Defiler with its ability and to the effect of the spell my opponent played.[/QUOTE]

No. One or the other.

You see, when a spell/ability begins to resolve (after everyone's had a chance to respond to it and so on), it will finish resolving before players get a chance to play things again.

So, say your opponent Diabolic Edicts you. You could play the Defiler's ability in response, but then by the time the Edict resolves it won't be around to sacrifice anymore. And if you wait until Diabolic Edict resolves, you'll have to sacrifice a creature to it before you next get a chance to play things like the Defiler's ability.

Now, if the Defiler is your only creature, then it makes sense to activate its ability in response to the Edict; then when the Edict resolves you'll have no creatures and thus won't have to sacrifice any.
Posted 14 November 2010 at 05:04

So..If I have a Phyrexian plaguelord with a few smaller creatures in play, and my opponent casts living death. Can I in response sack all my creatures using the Lord's ability to get them into the graveyard? Then after Living Death resolves I get those creatures, except the lord back in play?
Posted 15 November 2010 at 08:38

So, effects of cards like "dispense justice" does not allow you to sacrifice your creature for its effect, right? Just for the effect of dispense justice?
Posted 15 November 2010 at 08:56

[QUOTE=Liquad]So..If I have a Phyrexian plaguelord with a few smaller creatures in play, and my opponent casts living death. Can I in response sack all my creatures using the Lord's ability to get them into the graveyard? Then after Living Death resolves I get those creatures, except the lord back in play?[/QUOTE]

You can sacrifice Phyrexian plaguelord to it's own sacrifice ability. So you can get all your creatures back by sacrificing them all to Phyrexian plaguelord including the lord himself.

[QUOTE=olataro;15976]So, effects of cards like "dispense justice" does not allow you to sacrifice your creature for its effect, right? Just for the effect of dispense justice?[/QUOTE]

you can always sac your own creature for its own effect (given it can sacrifice itself), doing this however resolves while dispense justice is still on the stack and dispense justice still requires you to sac a (different) creature.
The difference is, if you attack with only one creature and that creature can sac itself for some advantagous effect then you just go for that and you ignore dispense justice. If you attack with two creatures and you sac the first to its own sacrifice ability then dispense justice requires you to sacrifice the only remaining attacking creature.
Posted 15 November 2010 at 10:29

got it. Thnx!
Posted 15 November 2010 at 11:34