Discussion Forum

A few problems

I jsut test my myr deck with my friend, and it turns out to be rather confusing.

1) How does Precursor golem works? My friend use slice in twain on it and drew 3 cards? Should he only have drew 1? How does precursor golem works anyway, its so damn confusing.

2) Livewire leash, when you cast "Tel-Jihad's defiance" on a creature with livewire leash, what will happen? Will the livewire leash fall off while dealing the damage to the player, or will the spell cause the leash to fall off and deal no damage?

3) Semblance anvil, when i use it on an artifact creature, does that mean both creatures and artifacts that i will be casting will cost less? Or is it just for artifact creatures? Or for artifact creatures and artifacts only? Or vice versa?:confused:
Posted 15 November 2010 at 11:39

1) He correct the golems efffect makes him copy the slice in twain so he gets three cards. Basically the golem creates two golem tokens. And as long as the Precursor golem is on the battlefield if a golem gets targeted by a spell, the spell is copied for each golem in play and targets a golem, that would also mean the golems of your opponent if he has some in play (as long as its legal play). The best play is to use it with mimic vat, you get two golems each turn :)..

2) Ok, the effect will go on the stack..you target the creature...the triggered ability from the lash goes on the stack..the everythin resolves..the lash lets him deal 2 damage..then the lash will deequip...

3) I think both...so an artifact creature will cost 4 less...not 100% on this though..
Posted 15 November 2010 at 12:26

But how bout pure creatures and pure artifacts?
Posted 15 November 2010 at 12:41

[QUOTE=olataro]But how bout pure creatures and pure artifacts?[/QUOTE]

creatures will cost 2 less, artifacts will cost 2 less and or any combination will cost 2 less.
Posted 15 November 2010 at 12:47

Wow! imba!
Posted 15 November 2010 at 13:30

[QUOTE=olataro]Wow! imba![/QUOTE]

It's a great card but not nesc imbalanced..don't forget you have to give up one of your cards..
Posted 15 November 2010 at 15:14

but for that just one, you can summon creatures and artifacts at 2 cost less!!! If you use 2 they stack right?
Posted 15 November 2010 at 16:24

[QUOTE=olataro]but for that just one, you can summon creatures and artifacts at 2 cost less!!! If you use 2 they stack right?[/QUOTE]

I believe so yeas..
Posted 15 November 2010 at 16:48

ONe more question. If in that turn, my creature was blocked by 2 perilous myr and the 2 perilous myr both died, and later he decided to use to use its effect and do 2 dmg to my myr galvaniser and palladium myr. My question is this. Does the palladium myr dies? Because druing then, it stil received a +1 bonus by the myr galvaniser.....
Posted 15 November 2010 at 17:25

the palladium myr will still be alive because the galvanizer and palladium are both dealt damage at the same time so the palladium is still a 3/3
Posted 15 November 2010 at 18:33

Yes but when the galvaniser is sent to the graveyard, the palladium myr's toughness has how much remaining? 1 right?
Posted 15 November 2010 at 23:53

[QUOTE=olataro]ONe more question. If in that turn, my creature was blocked by 2 perilous myr and the 2 perilous myr both died, and later he decided to use to use its effect and do 2 dmg to my myr galvaniser and palladium myr. My question is this. Does the palladium myr dies? Because druing then, it stil received a +1 bonus by the myr galvaniser.....[/QUOTE]

Perilous Myr
Myr Galvanizer
Palladium Myr

The Palladium Myr will end up dieing.

Once all the damage is dealt and the Galvanizer is dead, the Palladium is a 2/2 with 2 damage on it, so it will be destroyed.

As an aside, the damage isn't all dealt at once - first one of the Perilous Myr's abilities resolves and then the other, in the order of your opponent's choice - but in this case the order in which the damage was dealt doesn't really matter in the end.

On the one hand, maybe the damage is dealt to the Galvanizer first, and it dies, and then the damage is dealt to the now-2/2 Palladium Myr and it dies.

Or maybe the damage is dealt to the Palladium first. It will survive, but damage stays on creatures until the end of the turn (or until the creature is saved by a regeneration shield), so it's now a 3/3 with 2 damage on it. Then the damage is dealt to the Galvanizer and it dies. Now the Palladium is a 2/2 with 2 damage on it, so it dies.
Posted 16 November 2010 at 03:40

Got it. Thnx. I thought the perilous myrs deals damage to the creatures at the same time?
Posted 16 November 2010 at 04:24

[QUOTE=olataro]Got it. Thnx. I thought the perilous myrs deals damage to the creatures at the same time?[/QUOTE]

The Perilous Myrs died at the same time and their abilities triggered at the same time.

Those are two separate abilities, though. They resolve one at a time (and players get a chance to respond in between).
Posted 16 November 2010 at 05:46

got it! thx!
Posted 16 November 2010 at 08:03

One more question. Are myr reservoir considered as a myr spell?
Posted 16 November 2010 at 08:03

[QUOTE=olataro]One more question. Are myr reservoir considered as a myr spell?[/QUOTE]

No. To be a Myr, a card has to say "Myr" on its type line.
Posted 16 November 2010 at 08:12

[QUOTE=olataro]but for that just one, you can summon creatures and artifacts at 2 cost less!!! If you use 2 they stack right?[/QUOTE]

once you understand that card disadvantage is the worst thing that can happen to you in a game of magic you'll be on your way to understanding the game.

Semblance anvil is an absolutly horrible card. You give up 2 cards just to make your other cards cheaper. I rather play with 2 good cards in my hand and no Semblance anvil on the board then with no cards in my hand and a nice fat Semblance anvil just sitting there.
Also if you build a deck where you shift your mana curve upwards by two because you are counting on Semblance anvil what happens when you don't draw Semblance anvil or when your opponent destroys it before you can use it. Your deck will be behind by 2 land drops.
The card is absolute crap. It's a trap for unexperienced players.
Posted 16 November 2010 at 08:54

oh.........coz i got badly smashed by my friend's poison+livewire combo. And he spammed Creatures and eqps like nothing.

Hmmmm, by the way. Are enchantments considered as spells?
Posted 16 November 2010 at 09:26

any card that you play and that is not land is a spell, enchantments included, for as long as it remains on the stack and until the time it resolves. Once an enchantment is on the battlefield it's no longer a spell, it becomes a permanent.
Posted 16 November 2010 at 09:28

So does it trigger's live wire leash?

And one more thing, the dmg from the trigger on live wire leash is considered as combat damage right?
Posted 16 November 2010 at 10:21

[QUOTE=olataro]So does it trigger's live wire leash?[/QUOTE]

if it's an enchantment that targets a creature equipped with Livewire Lash (please spell these things correctly, I don't know all these new cards and I need to look them up) then yes, it triggers Livewire Lash.

[QUOTE=olataro]And one more thing, the dmg from the trigger on live wire leash is considered as combat damage right?[/QUOTE]

why would it be combat damage? combat damage is damage done by attacking/blocking creatures.
Posted 16 November 2010 at 10:47

Oh i see. Got it. Thnx!

Yeah i know, its confusing..........the names i mean. I am always confused with the name, like

Liquimetal coating, i always thought of it as liquidmetal coating, loz. How to hyperlink the cards to the words again?

And thnx Seth. I appreciate your help.
Posted 16 November 2010 at 13:06

1. spell them correctly
2. highlight the card name
3. click on the card icon in the editor's buttons.

to make sure you have the correct card name you can always check out a card database for it like http://magiccards.info/search.html (which has the added benefit of including all the card rulings, reading these could save you from asking the question all together))
Posted 16 November 2010 at 13:49

Yea ok. Prob is my college internet sucks. I had to refresh this 5 times just for it to load properly....sometimes it wont load at all. OK, got it. I will try to spell the names correctly.
Thnx, by the way, seras. You are a great help
Posted 16 November 2010 at 14:51

If my friend uses a tel-jilad defiance on his precursor golems, and then i try to doom blade them, that means only one of them will die? Because the rest are protected by artifacts?
Posted 17 November 2010 at 03:00

[QUOTE=olataro]If my friend uses a tel-jilad defiance on his precursor golems, and then i try to doom blade them, that means only one of them will die? Because the rest are protected by artifacts?[/QUOTE]

No, protection can't interfere with Precursor Golem's ability because the Golem's ability doesn't target anything (or damage, block, or attach itself to anything). It just copies the spell.
Posted 17 November 2010 at 03:06

But the description says each targets another golem?
Posted 17 November 2010 at 05:01

[QUOTE=olataro]But the description says each targets another golem?[/QUOTE]

Yes, each spell copy targets another Golem.

So if one of his Golems had protection from black, it would stop that Doom Blade copy from resolving.

The Precursor's ability itself, though, just makes copies of spells. It does not, itself, target anything; it's the spell copies that are targeting.
Posted 17 November 2010 at 05:18

Ohh, i got it! Thnx!
Posted 17 November 2010 at 06:57

OKay, and the deabate about the golems go on. My friend's argument is that the ability to copy spells by precursor golems, are not the ability of the tokens, but the ability of the precursor golem itself. So if the precursor golem is protected from artifacts, then the rest of the golems are not affected by the ability of the precursor golem and thus wont copy its ability.
Posted 20 November 2010 at 10:45

Enabling the rest of the golems to survive skills such as doomblade
Posted 20 November 2010 at 10:46

no, as per the FAQ on SOM on the precursor golem:

Any Golem that couldn't be targeted by the original spell (due to shroud, protection abilities, targeting restrictions, or any other reason) is just ignored by Precursor Golem's second ability.

so as long as the main card is n play, the other golems will be affected
Posted 20 November 2010 at 15:59

but protection from artifacts protects them from the main card, thus disabling the copy effect?
Posted 20 November 2010 at 16:39

[QUOTE=olataro]but protection from artifacts protects them from the main card, thus disabling the copy effect?[/QUOTE]

What does it mean to have protection from artifacts?

Go ahead and type it out in your own words. Be precise but don't just copy/paste. In case you've forgotten, here's a link to the Comprehensive Rules. Handy way to search a large document: Ctrl+F

Once you've replied, we'll analyze the Precursor's ability.
Posted 21 November 2010 at 00:29

Well the question came from my friend, so umm in my opinion

Protection from artifact means the creature/target can be targetted by an artifact, cant eqp an artifact, or affected by its ability. I think

Oh, you mean, that the ability itself doesnt need a target, as its kinda like an AOE effect ( sry the rpg term) thus doesnt need targetting?
Posted 21 November 2010 at 02:40

[quote]Oh, you mean, that the ability itself doesnt need a target, as its kinda like an AOE effect ( sry the rpg term) thus doesnt need targetting?[/QUOTE]

That's the idea.

[QUOTE=olataro]Protection from artifact means the creature/target can be targetted by an artifact, cant eqp an artifact, or affected by its ability. I think[/quote]

That last part overreaches. A Black Knight will die to a Wrath of God and benefit from Glorious Anthem. If a White Knight is the only creature a player controls, it will die to Diabolic Edict. Tel-Jilad Fallen can be blown up by Ratchet Bomb.

You did get the first two right, though. Protection does prevent targeting and equipping (and any other kind of attachment). It also prevents damage and blocking. And that's all it does.

Now, Precursor Golem's ability does none of those things. It just makes copies of spells.

Those spell copies target, so protection could interfere there, but since it's the spells that are targeting the protection would have to be against some quality of the spells. I don't think there are any Artifact Instats or Artifact Sorceries out there, though, so protection from artifacts won't be a factor.
Posted 21 November 2010 at 03:38

I see, so how about the tokens that comes with the precursor golem? DO they have the ability as the precursor golem? According to jiggs, they dont, and are just regular golems like the ones from the golem factory.

And can rusted relic be affected by the effect of precursor golem?
Posted 21 November 2010 at 04:50

[QUOTE=olataro]I see, so how about the tokens that comes with the precursor golem? DO they have the ability as the precursor golem? According to jiggs, they dont, and are just regular golems like the ones from the golem factory.[/quote]

Tokens have no abilities unless the effect that creates them says that they do. Precursor Golem's ability just says that the tokens that are 3/3 Golem artifact creatures (it's actually redundant of it say that the tokens are colorless). They have no abilities.

This means that if the Precursor leaves the battlefield, the copying effect goes away too.

[quote]And can rusted relic be affected by the effect of precursor golem?[/QUOTE]

So long as you have three or more artifacts, yes, Rusted Relic is a Golem. The Precursor has its effect for all Golems, whatever their names and histories (and whoever controls them).

If you have fewer than three artifacts, then no, Rusted Relic is not a Golem.
Posted 21 November 2010 at 06:10

Gotcha, how bout spells like arcblade and soul parry, would they work if i just target only 1 golem?
Posted 21 November 2010 at 06:21

[QUOTE=olataro]Gotcha, how bout spells like arcblade and soul parry, would they work if i just target only 1 golem?[/QUOTE]

For Soul Parry, yes, if you choose to target just one Golem then the Precursor will copy it.

For the other, I'm not sure which card you're talking about. If it's Arc Trail, then no, that won't work, because you can't choose just one target.
Posted 21 November 2010 at 07:35

I see, but what if i target 2 dmg to the golems and 1 dmg to the player, then will the golems replicate it and do 2 dmg to themselves and 1 dmg to the players according to the number of golems present?

Sry, bad spelling. I apologise for messing up arc trail and arc blade.
Posted 21 November 2010 at 09:36

[QUOTE=olataro]I see, but what if i target 2 dmg to the golems and 1 dmg to the player, then will the golems replicate it and do 2 dmg to themselves and 1 dmg to the players according to the number of golems present?

Sry, bad spelling. I apologise for messing up arc trail and arc blade.[/QUOTE]

Precursor Golem only copies a spell if that spell targets one Golem and nothing else. The "nothing else" is from the "only."

In other words, Arc Trail cannot possibly target only a single Golem. It can target a single Golem and also a player, but that doesn't match the Golem's ability's condition.

Precursor Golem cannot possibly copy Arc Trail, no matter how you choose the targets.
Posted 21 November 2010 at 10:19

Enlightening as always. Thnx. I got another question, if i use cards that can tap another creature like fulgent distraction when the opponent declares his creatures to attack, does that means i stopped that creature from attacking when i tap them during combat phase? Or must i use the ability before he declares attack?
Posted 21 November 2010 at 11:40

[QUOTE=olataro]Or must i use the ability before he declares attack?[/QUOTE]

This.

There is a step called the Beginning of Combat step. It is often glossed over (because usually nothing happens then) but if you have tap effects that's a good time to use them to prevent attacking.

The Beginning of Combat step is just after he's entered his combat phase (so he can only cast instants for a while) but just before he actually declares attackers.

You'll probably have to say "wait" when he says "I attack with..." Once you've interrupted him often enough and explained the existence of this step, he'll learn to say "I'm entering combat" before declaring attackers when there are tap effects around.

506. Combat Phase

506.1. The combat phase has five steps, which proceed in order: beginning of combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, combat damage, and end of combat. ...
507. Beginning of Combat Step

507.1. First, if the game being played is a multiplayer game in which the active player’s opponent’s don’t all automatically become defending players, the active player chooses one of his or her opponents. That player becomes the defending player. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack. (See rule 506.2.)

507.2. Second, any abilities that trigger at the beginning of combat go on the stack. (See rule 603, “Handling Triggered Abilities.”)

507.3. Third, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

508. Declare Attackers Step
Posted 21 November 2010 at 20:43

can i use my creatures to attack the planeswalker and the player at the same time?
Posted 22 November 2010 at 12:10

Oh, and elspeth tierrel's ultimate, when used will destroy every permanent, even herself, right?
Posted 22 November 2010 at 16:22

[QUOTE=olataro]Oh, and elspeth tierrel's ultimate, when used will destroy every permanent, even herself, right?[/QUOTE]

no, the ability destroys 'all other permanents', which excludes Elspeth herself.
Posted 22 November 2010 at 18:50

[QUOTE=olataro]can i use my creatures to attack the planeswalker and the player at the same time?[/QUOTE]

Each creature can attack either a player or a planeswalker. If you're attacking with multiple creatures, you could have some attack players and others attack planeswalkers.

When you declare attackers, you announce for each attacking creature which player or planeswalker it is attacking.
Posted 23 November 2010 at 00:23

Ok, got it. Thnx aneximines!

By the way, i want to learn on how to build a good blue dec. got any tips/suggestions?
Posted 23 November 2010 at 18:31

i could be wrong but in multiplayer aren't you only able to attack one player at a time? not 100% on that one just kinda curious.

And what kind of blue deck there are too many just to say make a good deck.
Posted 23 November 2010 at 19:18

[QUOTE=thegathered]i could be wrong but in multiplayer aren't you only able to attack one player at a time? not 100% on that one just kinda curious.
[/QUOTE]

it's a common house rule but multiplayer set-ups vary quite a bit(free-for-all, 2 vs 2, emperor, attack left, etc)

it's not part of the game mechanics tho.
Posted 23 November 2010 at 21:14

Can i cast turn aside to counter journey to nowhere?
Posted 24 November 2010 at 08:52

no, at the time that Journey to Nowhere targets a creature it already exists as a permanent, not a spell...therefor it's not a valid target for Turn Aside.
Posted 24 November 2010 at 13:23

Oh..........Wait, are you saying enchantments arent spells?
Posted 24 November 2010 at 14:28

'spells' only exist while on the stack, before that they are 'cards' and once the spell is resolved they either return to being cards(ex: a sorcery going to the graveyard) or they become permanents(ex: creatures, enchantments, planeswalkers).

Turn Aside can only target spells that are targeting a permanent you own.

when Journey to Nowhere is cast, it's a spell but doesn't have a target so it cannot be the legal target of Turn Aside.

once the spell resolves, it becomes a permanent of the type 'enchantment'.. when it enters play(as an enchantment) its triggered ability gets triggered.

this ability is what targets the creature, it's not a spell at this point so it's also not a legal target for Turn Aside.
Posted 24 November 2010 at 14:40

Ooh, how bout negate. Can i negate it?
Posted 24 November 2010 at 16:17

yes, it meets all the criteria
Posted 24 November 2010 at 16:21

Okay got more questions

1) If i soul parry a monster eqp with livewire leash, will it trigger the livewire leash?

2) If i took 2 lava axe, lightning bolts, etc. later when my opponent attacks me i cast safe passage. DOes that mean he didnt do any damage to me at all for that turn?
Posted 25 November 2010 at 08:26

[QUOTE=olataro]Okay got more questions

1) If i soul parry a monster eqp with livewire leash, will it trigger the livewire leash?[/quote]

Livewire Leash:
"Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell, ...

Soul Parry:
Prevent all damage one or two target creatures would deal this turn.

[quote]2) If i took 2 lava axe, lightning bolts, etc. later when my opponent attacks me i cast safe passage. DOes that mean he didnt do any damage to me at all for that turn?[/QUOTE]

The word to note in Safe Passage is "prevent." Damage that was dealt in the past can't be prevented because it has already happened.
Posted 25 November 2010 at 09:41

Hmmm so soul parry's effect will trigger first before livewire leash?
Posted 25 November 2010 at 10:50

if you cast Soul Parry and target the livewire lash equipped creature the triggered livewire lash effect goes on the stack before Soul Parry is added to the stack. The stack resolves in reverse order so Soul Parry resolves before the livewire lash triggered effect resolves and the damage from the livewire lash triggered effect is prevented by Soul Parry.
Posted 25 November 2010 at 12:32

Ooo, ok. Got it!
Posted 25 November 2010 at 14:32

How bout enchantments like tempered steel. WIll they stack if i put 2 of them?
Posted 25 November 2010 at 16:11

yes, of course
Posted 25 November 2010 at 16:18

oK, got it. thnx
Posted 26 November 2010 at 02:46

If when i end my turn, then my opponent say: At the end of your turn, i tap cunning sparkmage"

Can i cast sorcery spells such as assasinate at that time? SInce technically its still my turn?

Oh, and can u cast sorcery spells, use abilities b4 ur upkeep?
Posted 07 December 2010 at 01:49

Sorceries can only be played during the player's main phase, and only when nothing else is on the stack.
Posted 07 December 2010 at 01:51

OK, i fought this guy, he used demon of death gate to sac 3 vamps. Now the thing is. One of em is the Kalastria highborn. Can he use Kalastria ability if it was one of the sacked creatures due to the effect of demon of death gate?
Posted 07 December 2010 at 10:17

[QUOTE=olataro]OK, i fought this guy, he used demon of death gate to sac 3 vamps. Now the thing is. One of em is the Kalastria highborn. Can he use Kalastria ability if it was one of the sacked creatures due to the effect of demon of death gate?[/QUOTE]

Whenever Kalastria Highborn or another Vampire you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may pay {B}. If you do, target player loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.

doesn't that answer your question, all the vamps are put in the graveyard are they not??
Posted 07 December 2010 at 12:25

Oh, lol. Ok.

How bout this raging ravine card. Does it still have the counters after it returns into a land?
Posted 07 December 2010 at 14:21

yeah it does
Posted 07 December 2010 at 14:26

If i cast disperse on a planeswalker b4 he uses his ability can my opponent use the planeswalker ability as a stack?
Posted 08 December 2010 at 16:10

Planeswalker abilities can only be activated at sorcery speed so no, he can't respond to you dispersing the planewalker by activating one of it's abilities.

However it's important to note that you don't have priority to cast a spell in the time between when a planewalker first enters play and when it triggers one of it's abilities.

ie: you can respond to the planeswalker activating it's ability but the loyatly cost will happen first and the ability will go on the stack before your spell or ability.
Posted 08 December 2010 at 16:17

If i destroy gideon jura or lands that can morph into creatures, can i imprint them with mimic vat? Since technically, mimic vat can imprint any non token creatures?

Of course i destroy them when they becomes creatures
Posted 11 December 2010 at 07:53

Another question about pyromancer ascension

1) IF tresure hunt was cast with the effect of pyromancer ascension, will u be able to treausre hunt twice, or jz once as the effects resolve simultaneously?

2) If you preordain with the help pyromancer ascension, will you scry 4 or jz 2, bt will draw 2 cards?
Posted 12 December 2010 at 06:11

[QUOTE=olataro]Another question about pyromancer ascension

1) IF tresure hunt was cast with the effect of pyromancer ascension, will u be able to treausre hunt twice, or jz once as the effects resolve simultaneously?

2) If you preordain with the help pyromancer ascension, will you scry 4 or jz 2, bt will draw 2 cards?[/QUOTE]

SPELLS IN MAGIC DO NOT RESOLVE SIMULTANEOUSLY
they use "the stack" to determine what order they resolve in: the most recently cast spell resolves first, then the next most recently, etc.

It's quite literally a stack of cards. When you cast a card, you put that card on top of the stack. You remove the top card from the stack, then do what the card says. Then remove the next card, etc.

so with the preordain example you would: scry 2, draw; scry 2, draw
Posted 12 December 2010 at 06:37

Oooh, really? So if my opponent doom blades my creature and i cast vines of vastwood, then he casts another doolblade, will my creature die then? (according to stack rule it should?)

Oh yea, where is Aneximines and Seth? Are they in the championships?
Posted 12 December 2010 at 12:35

[QUOTE=olataro]Oooh, really? So if my opponent doom blades my creature and i cast vines of vastwood, then he casts another doolblade, will my creature die then? (according to stack rule it should?)

Oh yea, where is Aneximines and Seth? Are they in the championships?[/QUOTE]

Yes the creature would die... As explained before, it all goes on the stack. Because the last spell to be cast is a Doom Blade it resolves first. Because the Vines of Vastwood has not resolved yet (because of the stack) the doom blade "checks" the target to make sure it is a legal target. Since the Vines has not resolved yet (because of the stack) the creature does not have the "shroud", so it is a legal target for the doom blade.
Posted 12 December 2010 at 12:55

I'm curious, if my opponent has a jace, and i have a jace, i summon a jace into the battlefield, will we have to sac the jaces straight away or can i use my jace's ability b4 i sac him?
Posted 14 December 2010 at 01:45

[QUOTE=olataro]I'm curious, if my opponent has a jace, and i have a jace, i summon a jace into the battlefield, will we have to sac the jaces straight away or can i use my jace's ability b4 i sac him?[/QUOTE]

They will be put into their owners' graveyards as a state-based action before either of you can do anything.
Posted 14 December 2010 at 04:28

same goes with mox opal, other legendary?
Posted 14 December 2010 at 16:30

yes, that's how the legendary rule works
Posted 14 December 2010 at 16:53

lol, i told a player about that, and he said that b4 he sac mox opal, legendary is on stack, so he can stack by tapping his 2 moxes for mana b4 they are sacked. thats not true isnt it?
Posted 14 December 2010 at 18:22

nope, any state-based check happens immediately outside the stack.
Posted 14 December 2010 at 18:23

[QUOTE=olataro]lol, i told a player about that, and he said that b4 he sac mox opal, legendary is on stack, so he can stack by tapping his 2 moxes for mana b4 they are sacked. thats not true isnt it?[/QUOTE]

Whenever anything dies (under normal circumstances) It dies via a state based action

sate based actions are checked "Whenever a player receives priority"

In order to cast an instant or use a :symtap: ability, you must have priority

without getting overly technical, if you can tap it or cast an instant, state based actions have been checked a couple dozen times

IT DIES BEFORE YOU CAN USE IT
Posted 15 December 2010 at 00:02

OKay, the thing is, i cast an artifact spell, and want to acivate myrsmith's ability, but b4 i can activate her ability, the opponent lightning bolts the myrsmith. My question is, can i still use myr smith's abilty b4 she dies or she cant?
Posted 01 January 2011 at 19:24

[QUOTE=olataro]OKay, the thing is, i cast an artifact spell, and want to acivate myrsmith's ability, but b4 i can activate her ability, the opponent lightning bolts the myrsmith. My question is, can i still use Myrsmith's ability b4 she dies or she cant?[/QUOTE]

Yes you use the ability before she dies because her ability is activated at the same time as the casting of the artifact. In response, your opponent can cast Lightning Bolt, but it won't do anything to prevent the ability from resolving because of the last known information rule:

[QUOTE=The comp rules]112.6a Once activated or triggered, an ability exists on the stack independently of its source. Destruction or removal of the source after that time won’t affect the ability. ... if the source is no longer in the zone it’s expected to be in at that time, its last known information is used. The source can still perform the action even though it no longer exists.[/QUOTE]

You will get your token no matter what, even if your opponent Cancels the artifact spell used to activate the smith's effect
Posted 01 January 2011 at 20:03

okay heres another question, my friends blight mamba atks me ad i block with a cystbearer. SO the thing is he regenerated, and tole me he doesnt receive any combat damage. My question is , whn a creature regenerates, it says remove from combat, does it means my creature didnt deal any dmg to him and he didnt deal any dmg to my creature?
Posted 06 January 2011 at 05:12

[QUOTE=olataro]okay heres another question, my friends blight mamba atks me ad i block with a cystbearer. SO the thing is he regenerated, and tole me he doesnt receive any combat damage. My question is , whn a creature regenerates, it says remove from combat, does it means my creature didnt deal any dmg to him and he didnt deal any dmg to my creature?[/QUOTE]

No. Regeneration only removes a creature from combat when it saves the creature from destruction. That means that the event that caused the destruction (like combat damage) does take place, it just has a different result.

In this scenario, because Cystbearer has infect, the Mamba will die.

701.11a If the effect of a resolving spell or ability regenerates a permanent, it creates a replacement effect that protects the permanent the next time it would be destroyed this turn. In this case, “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.”

Normally, this helps against damage, because

704.5g If a creature has toughness greater than 0, and the total damage marked on it is greater than or equal to its toughness, that creature has been dealt lethal damage and is destroyed. Regeneration can replace this event.

But with infect, the damage (to creatures) comes in the form of -1/-1 counters, reducing the Mambas toughness to less than 1, and

704.5f If a creature has toughness 0 or less, it’s put into its owner’s graveyard. Regeneration can’t replace this event.

regeneration doesn't help against that.
Posted 06 January 2011 at 06:23

Another guy proposed a weird theory, thechinically he told me if i wanna use lightning bolt a planeswalker, i have to target him first and then to the planeswalker, so technically leylne of sanctity prevent me from burning his plaeswalkers? Is this true?
Posted 06 January 2011 at 23:32

[QUOTE=olataro]Another guy proposed a weird theory, thechinically he told me if i wanna use lightning bolt a planeswalker, i have to target him first and then to the planeswalker, so technically leyline of sanctity prevent me from burning his plaeswalkers? Is this true?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is true.

306.7. If noncombat damage would be dealt to a player by a source controlled by an opponent, that opponent may have that source deal that damage to a planeswalker the first player controls instead. This is a redirection effect (see rule 614.9) and is subject to the normal rules for ordering replacement effects (see rule 616). The opponent chooses whether to redirect the damage as the redirection effect is applied.

You cannot target a planeswalker with Lightning Bolt, because a planeswalker is neither a creature nor a player.

However, if your Bolt would deal damage to an opponent, you may choose to redirect that damage to a planeswalker he controls.

The trick here, as your friend pointed out, is that you have to target the player with the Bolt for it to ever potentially deal damage to him. So if you can't target him, you can't Bolt him, and therefore never have the opportunity to redirect the Bolt's damage to his planeswalker.
Posted 07 January 2011 at 08:56

can a metalcrafted etched champ be a legal target of valakut?
Posted 10 January 2011 at 17:58

[QUOTE=olataro]can a metalcrafted etched champ be a legal target of valakut?[/QUOTE]

yes because all lands are colorless, so the damage is not considered red.

In order for a card to have a color, that card must either have that color mana in it's casting cost or have text on the card that says "CARD NAME is COLOR"
Posted 10 January 2011 at 18:58

701.11a If the effect of a resolving spell or ability regenerates a permanent, it creates a replacement effect that protects the permanent the next time it would be destroyed this turn. In this case, “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.”

what if when i attack with blight mamba and my opponent declare cyst bearer as a blocker, i regenerate my blight mamba before damage was dealt. won't it be remove from combat and not receive any damage at all?because of the remove from combat stated in the rule?
Posted 12 January 2011 at 03:15

[QUOTE=charliebaas]701.11a If the effect of a resolving spell or ability regenerates a permanent, it creates a replacement effect that protects the permanent the next time it would be destroyed this turn. In this case, “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.”

what if when i attack with blight mamba and my opponent declare cyst bearer as a blocker, i regenerate my blight mamba before damage was dealt. won't it be remove from combat and not receive any damage at all?because of the remove from combat stated in the rule?[/QUOTE]

The way regeneration is worded, the creature has to be destroyed before it can be removed from combat

Therefore, the regeneration will not remove mamba from combat until after the damage has been done, or it is destroyed by some other effect such as Lightning Bolt

Furthermore, regeneration removes marked damage, not -1/-1 counters so regeneration won't help at all in this scenario :(
Posted 12 January 2011 at 03:38

if i sacrifice kiln fiend for fling how many damage will i deal?1 or 4?
Posted 12 January 2011 at 06:44

[QUOTE=charliebaas]if i sacrifice kiln fiend for fling how many damage will i deal?1 or 4?[/QUOTE]

1, sacrifice is part of the cost to play fling so kiln fiend is dead before the spell is played and kiln fiend does not trigger.

A few lightning bolts and or chain lightnings before you fling does wonders though :)
Posted 12 January 2011 at 08:04

OK heres another question, a firend play DOJ and i negate him, he mana leak the negate, in response i use myr galvaniser ability to untap my palladium myr and also, gold myr, and pay 3 mana for mana leak by tapping the palladium and gold myr again. My question is, can i do that? Untap my myrs with galvaniser and retap them for mana to pay of manaleak?
Posted 16 January 2011 at 04:47

[QUOTE=olataro]OK heres another question, a firend play DOJ and i negate him, he mana leak the negate, in response i use myr galvaniser ability to untap my palladium myr and also, gold myr, and pay 3 mana for mana leak by tapping the palladium and gold myr again. My question is, can i do that? Untap my myrs with galvaniser and retap them for mana to pay of manaleak?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

You can respond to his Mana Leak by activating the Gavlanizer, and then after that resolves, you both get priority again before the next thing on the stack - Mana Leak - resolves.

You can use that opportunity to tap the Myr for mana, or wait until the Mana Leak resolves.

Any time an effect gives you the option to pay mana, you can activate mana abilities (a "mana ability" is one that adds mana to your mana pool) while that effect is resolving and spend the mana on the cost the effect is imposing.
Posted 16 January 2011 at 07:29

Great! thnx! By the way if a guy mana leak my giant growth and i cast autumn's veil , can he cast negate to negate autum's veil?
Posted 16 January 2011 at 12:17

yes, autumn's veil has to resolve for it's effect to matter, it can still be countered like any other spell.
Posted 16 January 2011 at 13:07

My precursor golem is summoned and my opponent ligthning bolts him. In response i cast withstad death. Will all my precursor golems still die due to it copying the lightning bolt first? Or will the precursors actually copy the withstand death first?
Posted 18 January 2011 at 13:30

[QUOTE=olataro]My precursor golem is summoned and my opponent ligthning bolts him. In response i cast withstad death. Will all my precursor golems still die due to it copying the lightning bolt first? Or will the precursors actually copy the withstand death first?[/QUOTE]

The copies are created at the time of casting, so in your scenario the stack would be

Top - first to resolve
---------------
Withstand death (copy)
Withstand death (copy)
Withstand death
Lightning bolt (copy)
Lightning bolt (copy)
Lightning bolt
------------------
bottom - last to resolve

They live!
Posted 18 January 2011 at 21:56

Heres a foolish question, will phyrexian crusader be affected by gideon jura''s +2 ablity?

if i cast lightning bolt on a precursor golem, will sacrificing the precursor golem stops the lightning bolt? Coz i read the daily mtg's good lux article and it says that it can?!

I i cast semblance anvil, can i cast chimaric mass for 2 counters for free? or cast everflowing chalice for 1 counter for free?

IF my opponent sacs his quest for holy relic, may i doom blade his targetted creature to prevent the equip effect ?

Thats all for nw, folks!
Posted 24 February 2011 at 09:35

[QUOTE=olataro]Heres a foolish question, will phyrexian crusader be affected by gideon jura''s +2 ablity?[/quote]

Yes.

Note that infect doesn't change how a creature damages planeswalkwers. If the Crusader gets through its damage will remove loyalty counters as normal.

[quote]if i cast lightning bolt on a precursor golem, will sacrificing the precursor golem stops the lightning bolt? Coz i read the daily mtg's good lux article and it says that it can?![/quote]

It will stop that one Lightning Bolt, but not the copies.

The Golem's ability triggers right when the Bolt is cast. Removing the Golem after that point won't stop the copies from being made.

[QUOTE]I i cast semblance anvil, can i cast chimeric mass for 2 counters for free? or cast everflowing chalice for 1 counter for free?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Your choice for the value of X in the Mass's mana cost, and your decision about how many times to kick the Chalice, add to the total cost of those spells. The Anvil's reduction is taken out of that.

So if you choose X to be 2, the total cost of the Mass is :mana2: - :mana2: = :mana0:.

Similarly, if you kick the Chalice once, its total cost will be :mana0: (its base mana cost) + :mana2: (additional cost of kicking it once) - :mana2: (from the Anvil) = :mana0:.

[QUOTE]IF my opponent sacs his quest for the holy relic, may i doom blade his targetted creature to prevent the equip effect ?[/QUOTE]

No; there is no targeted creature.

If the Quest's ability targeted - it would have to say "target creature" somewhere - then yes, you could interfere with it like that, because you'd know as soon as it went on the stack which creature was going to be equipped.

But the Quest's ability does not target. Its controller doesn't have to chose a creature to be equipped until the ability is resolving. You can play things right before it resolves and right after, but not during; as soon as the equipment enters the 'field, it's getting attached to a creature (if he has any).
Posted 24 February 2011 at 16:23

Another question, if my opponent delcares an attqacker, can i use tumble magnet in response? Or must i use it b4 he dclares attacker?
Posted 25 February 2011 at 05:32

[QUOTE=Aneximines]This.

There is a step called the Beginning of Combat step. It is often glossed over (because usually nothing happens then) but if you have tap effects that's a good time to use them to prevent attacking.

The Beginning of Combat step is just after he's entered his combat phase (so he can only cast instants for a while) but just before he actually declares attackers.

You'll probably have to say "wait" when he says "I attack with..." Once you've interrupted him often enough and explained the existence of this step, he'll learn to say "I'm entering combat" before declaring attackers when there are tap effects around.

506. Combat Phase

506.1. The combat phase has five steps, which proceed in order: beginning of combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, combat damage, and end of combat. ...
507. Beginning of Combat Step

507.1. First, if the game being played is a multiplayer game in which the active player’s opponent’s don’t all automatically become defending players, the active player chooses one of his or her opponents. That player becomes the defending player. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack. (See rule 506.2.)

507.2. Second, any abilities that trigger at the beginning of combat go on the stack. (See rule 603, “Handling Triggered Abilities.”)

507.3. Third, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

508. Declare Attackers Step
...[/QUOTE]

your question about Tumble Magnet was answered already
Posted 25 February 2011 at 14:29

[QUOTE=Lexusthegreat]It's a great card but not nesc imbalanced..don't forget you have to give up one of your cards..[/QUOTE]

but for that just one, you can summon creatures and artifacts at 2 cost less!!! If you use 2 they stack right?
Posted 25 February 2011 at 16:45

hum..what card?
Posted 25 February 2011 at 16:50

If you have 2 Semblance Anvils that have the same card type(s) imprinted on them then yes, they do stack.
Posted 25 February 2011 at 19:17

[QUOTE=LurkerDark]your question about Tumble Magnet was answered already[/QUOTE]

err, so is it a yes or a no?:confused:
Posted 26 February 2011 at 07:24

Oh yeah, another question, my friend atk wit 4 creatures and i cast arrow volley trap. He says that in response he galvanic blasts one of his creatures, so only 3 creatures are attacking. Thus, i have to pay more for the arrow volley trap. My question is, is this true or pure fantasy?
Posted 26 February 2011 at 12:53

[QUOTE=olataro]Oh yeah, another question, my friend atk wit 4 creatures and i cast Arrow Volley Trap. He says that in response he Galvanic Blasts one of his creatures, so only 3 creatures are attacking. Thus, i have to pay more for the arrow volley trap. My question is, is this true or pure fantasy?[/QUOTE]

He can Galvanic Blast a creature, but it won't change the fact that your spell is free.

The cost for the spell is payed WHEN YOU CAST IT.

The spell does not care if the state of affairs has changed since you cast it, so he cannot declare that you have to pay more after things have changed.

Furthermore, if he attacks with 4 creatures, then he Lightning Bolts one of them, you can still cast your trap for free in response to his spell.

As long as there were 4 attacking creatures the moment you declared your intent to cast the spell, There is nothing he can do to stop you from casting it for free.
Posted 26 February 2011 at 19:24

[QUOTE=olataro]err, so is it a yes or a no?:confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes you can prevent him from attacking because the turn order is

1)combat phase starts
2)start of combat phase effects activate
3)PLAYERS CAN CAST SPELLS AND USE ABILITIES
4)declare attackers

You can activate tumble magnet during the combat phase but before his creature is tapped and attacking. You just need good reflexes.
Posted 26 February 2011 at 19:28

OK, thnx. But u cant use sorcery spells in combat phase can you?

Oh and a friend of mine claims myr galvaniser has the ability to untap myr turbine. Is it true?
Posted 10 March 2011 at 08:26

[QUOTE=olataro]Oh and a friend of mine claims myr galvaniser has the ability to untap myr turbine. Is it true?[/QUOTE]

No, myr turbine is not a myr and can't be untapped with galvaniser. Having Myr in it's name has no effect on its actual card type.
Posted 10 March 2011 at 08:36

Can i stop the splinter twin combo with naturalize?
Posted 19 May 2011 at 09:31

Only if you naturalize in response to the twin player tapping the deceiver exarch. And if he's got anything to untap the exarch (like another exarch), you're dead anyways.
Posted 19 May 2011 at 23:37

So ur saying i can go for the throat/naturalize whn facing with the combo as in response to you tapping ?
Posted 20 May 2011 at 19:34

"you know, when you have 5 lands, swing with your equipped creature, pay 5 mana, untap your 5 lands, then pay 5 more and then flash Jin..."

The dude is talking about swrd of feas with the bird, and whn u swing the swrd u double the mana if u tap it during combat phase? I am nt sure, but i thought thats not possible?
Posted 22 May 2011 at 08:35

You should read through the comp rules, found here:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/MagicCompRules_20110501.txt

Use the Find function (Ctrl + F for most browsers) and search for the keywords relative to your query. Most of your questions can be answered this way.

In this case, do a search for "Combat Damage" and find it within the table of contents, then copy and paste the full line provided for the combat damage step into the search bar to go to that section of the comprehensive rules, and then read. Your answer will be found within.

If this leads to further questions, such as "what is timing and priority?" and "how do I respond to triggered abilities?" then repeat this process and search for those rules as well.
Posted 22 May 2011 at 19:52

[QUOTE=olataro]"you know, when you have 5 lands, swing with your equipped creature, pay 5 mana, untap your 5 lands, then pay 5 more and then flash Jin..."

The dude is talking about swrd of feas with the bird, and whn u swing the swrd u double the mana if u tap it during combat phase? I am nt sure, but i thought thats not possible?[/QUOTE]

Definitely possible. You put the SoFaF trigger on the stack, float the mana, let the trigger resolve (untapping your lands) and without changing phases float some more mana. Then you cast Jin-Gitaxias because he has flash. And then? He eats mana leak (like a champ.)
Posted 22 May 2011 at 23:40

Lolz, thnx!!. Btw night loki, coming to GP singapore?
Posted 03 June 2011 at 18:14

aha! no. I'm broke. I'll be at GP San Diego for sure though.
Posted 03 June 2011 at 23:06

but if the 2 dmg is on the palladium myr after the myr galvinizer is put into the graveyard, wouldn't the dmg still be there till end of turn when the palladium myr is only a 2/2??
Posted 18 June 2011 at 09:21