Discussion Forum

vampire hexmage vs mortician beetle

My opponent has a vampire hexmage. i attacked w/ a mortician beetle w/ 5 +1/+1 counters on it. he blocked it w/ the vampire. the vampire dealt damage first because of first strike and then he said before the beetle deals damage he sacrificed the vampire, removing my 5 +1/+1 counters on the beetle thus killing it. i said that he can not sacrifice the vampire because by the time that damage dealing is over, his vampire will be dead and can not be sacrificed. im i correct or no?
Posted 24 November 2010 at 03:22

Nope, he can deal dmg then sacrifice it. Same concept that argent sphinx can atk an opponent and then exile itself
Posted 24 November 2010 at 05:18

the only reason Vampire Hexmage can do this is because its damage is dealt during the first strike step, giving the Hexmage's controller a chance to activate it's ability before the regular combat damage step.

creatures without first strike CANNOT both deal damage and be removed from combat before the damage resolution step...it's one or the other.

ie: not sure what specific situation you are referring to with Argent Sphinx but something along the lines of what's described here would not be possible.
Posted 24 November 2010 at 14:49

yeah this works because of the first strike step, he is allowed to sac after dealing first strike damage.
Posted 24 November 2010 at 15:34

Wait, so you are saying if i block a creature with 5 atk, and i block it with argent sphinx, i cant exile argent sphinx after i deal damage to the attacking creature?
Posted 24 November 2010 at 16:20

if a creature is present to deal damage during a step then it's also present to take damage during that step.

there's no legal way to change a creature's zone midway through the damage resolution step.

you can block with your Argent Sphinx and then exile him in response to the declare blockers step, which would leave the attacking creature as still being blocked... but the sphinx would neither deal nor take any damage from that combat.
Posted 24 November 2010 at 16:29

I SEE, but can you block with your creatuere and then sacrifice it?
Posted 24 November 2010 at 18:07

[QUOTE=olataro]I SEE, but can you block with your creatuere and then sacrifice it?[/QUOTE]

if you couldn't then Gomazoa would be a quite useless card
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewCard_Popup.aspx?CardName=Gomazoa&Edition=ZEN&Print=1

you can activate abilities after declaring blockers but before damage is dealt.

you can also activate abilities after first strike but before normal strike.
Posted 26 November 2010 at 22:03