Discussion Forum

The difference between combat and noncombat damage?

Can anybody tell me the difference ore link me to a page where the diffrence between combat damage and noncombat damage is stated?

The question came to me when I saw this card Magebane Armor

If I should guess...

Combat damage:
Is damage dealt between; creature-creatures (power vs toughness), creature-players (power vs. lifepoints), player-creatres (spell X deals X damage to target reature) and player-player (spell X deals X damage to target player) and maybe activated abilities like "if you tap this crature you may have it deal X damage to target creature or player"?

Noncombatdamage:
Is that like the special effect of (example) The Fallen, Goblin Swine-Rider, Skullcage, Cursed Land etc.?

I can't emagine that it is "destroy spells" like Doom Blade, Sunblast Angel ore Royal Assassin?

And what about Deathtouch does that count as damage/noncombat damage?

Hopefully you can help me get this right !

Thanks!
//Beriks
Posted 29 November 2010 at 13:42

it's a lot more straight forward than that.

Combat Damage is any damage dealt by a creature during combat through the regular combat mechanics.

anything else(spells like Lightning Bolt, abilities like Cunning Sparkmage's) is Direct Damage. (there's also 'loss of life' effects which are separate from damage)
Posted 29 November 2010 at 14:34

So a creature wearing Magebane Armor would be immune to anything but what you just categorised as [QUOTE]damage dealt by a creature during combat through the regular combat mechanics.[/QUOTE]

Just to be sure ;)

And the immunity includes
Destroy-like spells and deathtouch-like abilities?

Ore would a crature with deathtouch fall under the category of the above combat mechanics?
Posted 29 November 2010 at 15:07

it would be immune to non-combat damage, yes

however Destroy effects are NOT damage. If it doesn't have the word damage in the description then it's not damage.

Deathtouch can be combat damage if that's how it was dealt, as it doesn't modify the type of damage the creature deals, it simple make the damage lethal regardless of the opponent's toughness.
Posted 29 November 2010 at 15:14

Okay, thanks alot for your time!
I beleive I understand it now

//Beriks
Posted 29 November 2010 at 15:16