Discussion Forum

Gold card help

I need help with the rules for gold cards. The best way for me to explain/ask is by giving a situation.

I cast Putrefy which is a gold card with a cost of: 1 colorless, 1 green and 1 black.

My opponent wishes to counter it with Deathgrip which is an enchantment which counters target green spell.

My question is this. Can anything which targets a certain color be used against a gold card which has that targeted color in the casting cost?

I really need an answer with this. I am playing again Friday night and my group would like this problem solved.

Thanks to whomever responds!!!!!
Posted 17 July 2009 at 07:52

As long as the card has that color(s) stated on the counter, then it is countered.
Posted 17 July 2009 at 19:20

If the card has the color in it's casting cost it qualifies as a card of that color.
Posted 30 July 2009 at 02:45

It is countered. Same goes for protections from certain colors. Ex. If a creature has protection from white and the spell the opponent is casting has white, blue, and green in the mana cost, that creature is protected. (that's how i read the rules so correct me if I'm wrong, please)
Posted 31 July 2009 at 00:40

to reiterate what others have said:

a card's colour is determined by the type of mana in it's cost, not the colour of the border or background of the card :)
Posted 15 October 2009 at 20:01

[QUOTE=Seras]to reiterate what others have said:

a card's colour is determined by the type of mana in it's cost, not the colour of the border or background of the card :)[/QUOTE]
Unless the card has an ability that says "This card is {color}.", then yes it would be protected.
Posted 22 October 2009 at 20:38

Sorry to drag out an older thread....but I have a question that ties in here...

Augury Adept, and only :manau: was used to cast...is it still also a white spell?
Posted 16 February 2011 at 14:56

[QUOTE=Wolfe359_01]Sorry to drag out an older thread....but I have a question that ties in here...

Augury Adept, and only :manau: was used to cast...is it still also a white spell?[/QUOTE]

yes, it's white

[QUOTE=Seras;2024]to reiterate what others have said:

a card's colour is determined by the type of mana in it's cost, not the colour of the border or background of the card :)[/QUOTE]

lol
Posted 16 February 2011 at 14:59

Yes, the colour of mana used to cast the spell doesn't affect the colour of the permanent(or spell) itself.

Augury Adept has white and blue in it's mana cost so it's a white and blue creature.
Posted 16 February 2011 at 15:00