Discussion Forum

Pick up Tundra with a Scalding Tarn?

Is it possible to pick up the old dual lands like Tundra and Volcanic Island with a Scalding Tarn?
Posted 01 December 2010 at 09:12

[QUOTE=pjerot]Is it possible to pick up the old dual lands like Tundra and Volcanic Island with a Scalding Tarn?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Tundra is a Plains and an Island, so it can be fetched by any of the seven fetchlands that can find either a Plains or an Island.

(I've tried, with proxies, a five-color deck using duals and fetches - it's ridiculous how seldom I had mana-color problems)
Posted 02 December 2010 at 00:21

How about using Scalding Tarn to picki up Volcanic Island ?

Someone did this multiple times during a tournament.
My argument is that Scalding Tarn is just a non-basic land that produces a red or a white mana, it's not a Mountain or a Plain.

Comments?
Posted 11 October 2013 at 23:18

How about using Scalding Tarn to pick up Volcanic Island ?

My argument is that Volcanic Island is just a non-basic land that produces a red or a white mana, it's not a Mountain or a Plain.

Comments?
Posted 11 October 2013 at 23:21

[QUOTE=fullbartender]How about using Scalding Tarn to pick up Volcanic Island ?

My argument is that Volcanic Island is just a non-basic land that produces a red or a white mana, it's not a Mountain or a Plain.

Comments?[/QUOTE]

And to make this question intereseting, he used this land combo to to use Burning Wish and get Show and Tell from outside the game, then play Omniscience for free and BOOM out with Emrakul and Griselbrand.

Had my Jagged-Scar Archers not been tapped from attacking my opponent, that big bastard would've been shuffled away and my next turn would've won the game.

So I'm wondering if his Scolding Tarn + Volcanic Island combo is illegal?
Posted 12 October 2013 at 09:48

it's perfectly legal as clearly described by the cards themselves

Scalding Tarn says :

Search your library for an Island or Mountain card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

It says nothing about basic land

Volcanic Island says

Counts as both islands and mountains and is affected by spells that affect either. If a spell destroys one of these land types, this card is destroyed; if a spell alters one of these land types, the other land type is unaffected.

so there you go, just read the card
Posted 14 October 2013 at 06:57

Volcanic Island clearly states that it is an Island and a Mountain which makes it a legal target for Scalding Tarn or any other land search that cares about those land subtype.

Keep in mind a lot of older cards have been errata'ed to current wordings. If the ABU dual lands were reprinted today, they would literally be printed like Land - Island Mountain with no text in the text box and that is how they are treated even with the old cards. Not that the old text isn't plenty clear on its own.
Posted 14 October 2013 at 07:01