Discussion Forum

I dont understand (card effects)

1)
Sacrificing, If I were to have two Bloodthrone Vampire's on the same field and an additional random creature, can I sacrifice the additional creature and both Bloodthrone vampires get +2/+2? Or is it per monster?

2)
Target creature gets -X/-X effects, say I had a 1/1 creature and someone used a card that target creature gets -1/-1. Does it kill it?
Posted 10 December 2010 at 00:45

1) If you only have 1 creature in play that you are sacrificing, than only one of your Bloodthrone Vampires gets +2/+2
2) Whenever a creatures toughness is reduced to 0 it is 'killed' and goes to the graveyard, so yes...
Cheers!
Posted 10 December 2010 at 15:25

Even if the card says -1/-1 until end of turn?

and thank you much.
Posted 10 December 2010 at 22:26

[QUOTE=xborn2d1ex]Even if the card says -1/-1 until end of turn? [/QUOTE]

As soon as a creature's toughness becomes zero or less, it is put into its owner's graveyard. It doesn't matter if it was Scar, Darkblast, or Night of Souls' Betrayal that caused the toughness-reduction.

Note that this is slightly different from a creature being killed by damage. Damage does not reduce toughness, it just accumulates on the creature for the turn and if a creature has an amount of damage on it that's greater than or equal to its toughness, it is destroyed.

Since lethal damage causes destruction, the creature can be saved from it by things like regeneration or indestructibility.

Zero toughness, on the other hand, "puts" the creature into the graveyard, so regeneration/indestructibility doesn't help against it.
Posted 11 December 2010 at 20:14

There is always a big fat HOWEVER----

However, if an effect reduces your creatures toughness to 0 "until end of turn" such as "target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn" on a 1/1 (such as in this case), you have a chance to respond...

So Respond with "target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn" or adding a +1/+1 counter to it :) Live on little blocker!
Posted 12 December 2010 at 22:37

[QUOTE=Magic_Reverend]... If you only have 1 creature in play that you are sacrificing, than only one of your Bloodthrone Vampires gets +2/+2...
[/QUOTE]

each "sacrifice a creature" effect is an activated ability of each creature. You can activate both at once, but you need to pay two "sacrifice a creature" actions just as you would need to pay :mana4: mana to activate two :mana2: mana abilities
Posted 12 December 2010 at 22:56

state based effects can not be over ruled. so after all the spell casting, if the creature has 0 toughness it goes to the graveyard coz each phase of a turn, state based action is checked.
Posted 26 March 2011 at 19:22

Just to clarify, state-based effects are actually checked whenever a player has priority.
Posted 27 March 2011 at 21:49