Discussion Forum

Precursor Golem

Ok so I was wondering.

Would Precursor Golem's second ability make it so that whenever you target any golem it spreads to all other golem or just the precursor golem and his 2 tokens?

Because if this works the way I think it does then pairing it with Golem Foundry would be awesome as long as you could protect the golems.
Posted 11 December 2010 at 08:16

]...when you cast a instant or sorcery spell that ONLY targets A SINGLE golem, then COPY that spell FOR EACH OTHER GOLEM it could target...[/QUOTE]

The easiest way to figure this one out is that the text that creates the precursor tokens and the text that creates the golem foundry tokens IS THE EXACT SAME TEXT:
[QUOTE=The Cards]...3/3 colorless golem artifact creature token...[/QUOTE]

so go nuts on your golem deck, but good luck protecting your horde from Unsummon
Posted 11 December 2010 at 09:00

Well that's how I thought it would work, the other thing I was wondering is, does this work for other golems as well, like any card with the creature type golem or just cards named golem?
Posted 11 December 2010 at 16:03

Lol, try using the search. U will find me annoying seth, aneximines, and a few others about the golem. Basically

1) Any golem, yes, even rusted relic ( accordng to aneximines, credits to him)
2) Only single target spells will copy
3) And no, protection from artifacts wont stop the spell copying process.
Posted 11 December 2010 at 17:32

I think any permanent with the type "Golem" will be affected
Posted 12 December 2010 at 02:02

Wicked, thank you. So what happens if i counter the spell targeting the golem, does it still copy to the other golems?
Posted 13 December 2010 at 05:55

its triggered, so it copies the opponents spell before you can respond, so even if you counter the original spell, the spell copy will still affect the other golems. ex. you have the golems out. EOT your opponent cast lightning bolt to one of the golems. the 2nd ability of the precursor golem triggers, copying the bolt, targeting the other golems. in respond, you cast cancel, targeting the original bolt. once resolved, the cancel counters 1 of the bolts but the other 2 are not countered, thus destroying the other 2 golems and leaving you w/ 1 golem in play.
Posted 13 December 2010 at 06:35

Damn, thnx jiggs. Thats something new today.
Posted 13 December 2010 at 07:27

I don't get it, why is Golem Foundry good with Precursor Golem second ability?
Copies of the spell you cast don't affect Golem Foundry in any way as they are put on the stack but you don't cast them. That and they have to be artifact spells, there are not that many useful artifact spells that affect golems.

I'm a huge fan of Precursor Golem but I can't say I like Golem Foundry, it's just not effficient enough unless you prolifirate it in some crazy way.
Posted 13 December 2010 at 07:51

I agree. And yes, if it is proliferated it really becomes a super golem factory, capable of churnign out game changing golems every turn.

Well, the golems that come out can stack with precursor glem's ability, so if you cast distortion stike/giant growth/ etc, all of them will put a huge fist into your opponent life's point. The opposite is also true though,guess this is a high reward, high risk strategy.

Eh seth, where have you all been this past few days? Did you attend the tournament too?
Posted 14 December 2010 at 01:44

[QUOTE=olataro]Eh seth, where have you all been this past few days? Did you attend the tournament too?[/QUOTE]

I'm only active on the board during the week when I'm at work. During the weekends I spend most of my time (oil) painting. Magic has been reduced to a one night a week thing. I even missed the national legacy championship 2 sundays ago while my friend scored a Top8.

I got tired of tournament play there for a while. Now I have a new deck and I'm actually eager to try it out.
Posted 14 December 2010 at 09:06

i agree. im also a huge fan of precursor golem, and i think that the foundry is too slow because of the counters. i prefer to use rusted relic instead.
Posted 15 December 2010 at 04:36

I knew you and aneximines are tournament players, weel as for jiggs, not sure, but i thought you two were.

Have u been to the pro tour b4?

Seth oil paints? cool.I love drawing but quit as i draw like a 2 year old...lol
Posted 15 December 2010 at 10:35

[QUOTE=olataro]I knew you and aneximines are tournament players, weel as for jiggs, not sure, but i thought you two were.

Have u been to the pro tour b4?

Seth oil paints? cool.I love drawing but quit as i draw like a 2 year old...lol[/QUOTE]

Everyone draws like a two year old without practise, that's why artists practise. For some reason people understand that music or math are things you get good at with huge amounts of practise but somehow they think artists are born with their gift. strange stuff...

As for tournament play I don't concider myself a tournament player as I don't really enjoy tournament play much, unlike some of my freinds who seem to love it. I pick up the occasional tournament now and again but my true interest in magic lies in casual play. I like playing 1 or 2 multiplayer games that take up an entire afternoon, just sitting there, no stress, talking and laughing, chilling, playing the people more then the actual cards. I love multiplayer politics. One vs one games don't hold the same challenge for me, I used to love playing 1vs1 but it got boring after a few years.
Posted 15 December 2010 at 14:14

I'm a kitchen table casual player... and i join local tournaments if i have time. i definitely love multiplayer games. and currently im interested in sealed deck format and booster draft tournaments. im not a pro, but i love the process of building decks, see how each cards interacts with each other.
Posted 17 December 2010 at 03:55

You're gonna want to use the Golem deck with Green and Blue splashed in. With green you can protect yourself from Bolts by using Giant Growths, and you can even use the Growths in combination with Distortion Strike (hence the blue splash).

You can use some mana ramp with the green as well(pulling out your golems faster is always a plus), as well as Withstand Death to protect from stuff like Doom Blades or other creatures.

Another fun thing is to throw in Rite of Replication if you're just playing casual.
Posted 17 December 2010 at 07:14

Easiest protection: Asceticism!:) FTW
Posted 22 January 2011 at 15:39

So I am in the process of making a Precurser Golem deck and I must say its my all time fav. card, and making a deck around this card makes it easy to protect it. Take Mindbreak trap for instance with anything targeting the golem makes it a free counterspell. I also use the golem with Rite of Replication for some crazy fun.
Posted 22 January 2011 at 17:34

[QUOTE=ShadowX83]So I am in the process of making a Precurser Golem deck and I must say its my all time fav. card, and making a deck around this card makes it easy to protect it. Take Mindbreak trap for instance with anything targeting the golem makes it a free counterspell. I also use the golem with Rite of Replication for some crazy fun.[/QUOTE]

Sounds Like fun :D

the only problems I see are that for mindbreak trap to work,
[QUOTE]If an opponent cast three or more spells this turn[/QUOTE]
and that copies of spells aren't considered cast D:, so it won't work

that and the whole lightning bolt for 3xNUM_GOLEMS is a bit difficult to deflect :(
Posted 23 January 2011 at 01:57

I commented on a Precursor Golem question before, and was informed that counter spells will not protect against an opponent's copied spells. Will sacrificing the targetted golem protect them, though? I'm guessing not..

At any rate, I've been leaning towards W/G for a Precursor deck lately. Emerge Unscathed, Vines of Vastwood, and Asceticism to protect your golems. Tempered Steel and Mighty Leap to pump them. And even Irresistible Prey for a tonne of card draw.

Another idea is Withstand Death followed by a Day of Judgment.

Just a few ideas, thought I'd share them :)
Posted 23 January 2011 at 02:26

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]Another idea is Withstand Death followed by a Day of Judgment[/QUOTE]

ooooh : D real potential here

[QUOTE]I commented on a Precursor Golem question before, and was informed that counter spells will not protect against an opponent's copied spells. Will sacrificing the targetted golem protect them, though? I'm guessing not..
[/QUOTE]

1) The spell is only copied when it targets the GOLEM, not the spell targeting the golem

2)The ability to create the copies of the spell is placed on the stack above the spell cast, allowing you to respond before the copies are created; unfortunately, because of the last known information rule, countering the original spell will not affect the ability that copies that spell, but you can use Trickbind or Azorius Guildmage to counter the ability that creates the copies
Posted 23 January 2011 at 02:47

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]I commented on a Precursor Golem question before, and was informed that counter spells will not protect against an opponent's copied spells. Will sacrificing the targetted golem protect them, though? I'm guessing not..[/QUOTE]

No. The problem is that the copies are inevitable as soon as the spell is cast.

Once the original spell is cast, the triggered ability that makes the copies will go on the stack before anyone can respond. Once it's on the stack, removing the original spell (or causing the original spell's target to become illegal) won't deter the copy-making ability; it can use the original spell's last known information to make the copies.

You want something like Stifle or Trickbind that can counter triggered abilities, but I don't think there's anything like that in Standard. Time Stop would work too but it's one core-set too old for Standard.

Asceticism works best because it keeps your opponent from casting targeted spells on your Golems to begin with.
Posted 23 January 2011 at 10:07

we could use metalcraft abilities since the golem automatically triggers it. we can get indomitable angel as one of the cards that we can use. it protects the golem ( and your other artifacts), its a 4/4 flyer for 4 mana and we only need to protect the angel and the angel will protect the rest..
Posted 25 January 2011 at 04:42

That was one of the original deck concepts from this block, I think.

Indomitable Archangel, Precursor Golem, Etched Champion, and Tempered Steel. With Whispersilk Cloak for the Archangel (and/or, the soon to be Darksteel Plate)
Posted 26 January 2011 at 17:32

You're using Precursor Golem mainly to get metalcraft? Seems like sort of waste to not use his copying ability (which you can't with Indomitable Archangel). You know, turning Fleeting Distraction/Irresistible Prey into Ancestral Recall, getting the most from things like Distortion Strike and Giant Growth, that sort of thing.
Posted 26 January 2011 at 19:47

[QUOTE=Aneximines]You're using Precursor Golem mainly to get metalcraft? Seems like sort of waste to not use his copying ability (which you can't with Indomitable Archangel). You know, turning Fleeting Distraction/Irresistible Prey into Ancestral Recall, getting the most from things like Distortion Strike and Giant Growth, that sort of thing.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't Indomitable Archagel work. Once the metalcraft is achieved then all 3 golems would have shroud for being artifacts would they not?
Posted 27 January 2011 at 06:44

[QUOTE=Lucas_919]Why wouldn't Indomitable Archagel work. Once the metalcraft is achieved then all 3 golems would have shroud for being artifacts would they not?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and therefore you wouldn't be able to target them with your beneficial spells.

I mean sure, your opponent won't be able to kill them all with singe Lightning Bolt, either, but it seemed to me that the basic appeal of Precursor Golem lay in its ability to copy your cantrips or pump spells or whatever.
Posted 27 January 2011 at 07:16

Heres an idea. I made a precursor deck with green, black and blue. Green are the main colour with withstand death, vines of vastwood, giant growth, groundswell, autumn's veil to protect your golem. Blue jz for distortion strike and manaleak. Black for creature removals, consume the meek, doomblade, and with MBS maybe go for the throat adn black sun zenith.

The finisher woud be distortion strike +pump. Sounds a bit stupid but hey its a fun deck and funny thing is it kinda works. Not versus UB control of course, but most decks. Even boros.
Posted 29 January 2011 at 04:36