Discussion Forum

timing question

I control 2 dragon fodder tokens, a Castle, and a Fervent Charge. My opponent plays an night of souls betryal making my 1/3's into 0/2's. he has no other non-land perments and 3 life. On my turn I attack with them. But we're not sure which happens first to my tokens: do they lose Castle's +0/+2 first and die when they tap or do they gain Fervent Charge's +2/+2 first and attack as 2/2's?
Posted 12 December 2010 at 04:55

I had to pull out the comprehensive rules on this one:

from the section on the declare attackers step:

[QUOTE=The comp. rules]508.1. First, the active player declares attackers. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack. To declare attackers, the active player follows the steps below, in order...

508.1a The active player chooses which creatures that he or she controls, if any, will attack...

[skip a few]

508.1f The active player taps the chosen creatures...

[skip a few]

508.1j Each chosen creature still controlled by the active player becomes an attacking creature. It remains an attacking creature until it’s removed from combat or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first.

[skip a few]

508.3. Third, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.[/QUOTE]

so The goblins are first tapped. then they become attackers after paying any mandatory "pay :mana1: for each attacking creature" abilities.

however, creatures dieing is a sate based action, which are checked "whenever a player receives priority" and that doesn't happen until after the goblins are considered attackers

they are 0/0s for a moment, but are back to 2/2 by the time the game checks if anything has died yet

THEY LIVE :)
Posted 12 December 2010 at 06:55

thanks SilverTabby
Posted 16 December 2010 at 01:11