Discussion Forum

Hellcarver Demon

Ok guys,

Hellcarver demon ruling time.

The text on Hellcarver demon reads:

"Whenever Hellcarver Demon deals combat damage to a player, sacrifice all other permanents you control and discard your hand. Exile the top six cards of your library. You may cast any number of nonland cards exiled this way without paying their mana costs."

As the start of this phrasing is worded 'Whenever' and the trigger is dealing combat damage to a player, does this mean that the cards exiled from Hellcarver demons ability MUST be played before the combat phase ends, or can you, for instance, play 2 of your fat creatures from the ability, and hold on to your force of will for later when your opponent tries to remove them? I guess that is to say, if I draw 6 cards this turn and only play 2, do the other 4 sit in the 'Exiled cards' pool until next turn when Hellcarver swings again meaning I then have 10 cards to choose from?
Posted 18 December 2010 at 13:08

here's the ruling:

[QUOTE]You cast nonland cards from exile as part of the resolution of Hellcarver Demon's ability. You may cast those cards in any order. Timing restrictions based on the card's type (such as creature or sorcery) are ignored. Other restrictions are not (such as "Cast [this card] only before the combat damage step"). You cast all of the cards you like, putting them onto the stack, then Hellcarver Demon's ability finishes resolving. The spells you cast this way will then resolve as normal, one at a time, in the opposite order that they were put on the stack.[/QUOTE]

so the option of casting the spells that have been exile only happens at the moment they get exiled, if you don't cast them then they just go to exile and they no longer have any interactions with Hellcarver Demon.
Posted 18 December 2010 at 19:36