Discussion Forum

Gideon Jura

So I was playing against my friend's stupid U/W Control deck and I was playing my Vamps.
He used Gideon's 0 ability making him into a creature. I was wondering if I could take Gideon using Captivating Vampire's ability? It says on the card he becomes a creature but is still a planeswalker.
Thanks for the help!
Posted 23 December 2010 at 22:34

Captivating Vampire
Gideon Jura

As long as Gideon is a creature as the ability resolves, you should be able to gain control of him permanently.

Similarly you can Naturalize him if you use Liquimetal coating to turn him into an artifact until end of turn.
Posted 23 December 2010 at 23:41

[QUOTE=rsweeney56]So I was playing against my friend's stupid U/W Control deck and I was playing my Vamps.
He used Gideon's 0 ability making him into a creature. I was wondering if I could take Gideon using Captivating Vampire's ability? It says on the card he becomes a creature but is still a planeswalker.
Thanks for the help![/QUOTE]

You can take control of him. Your buddy activates Gideon Jura's third ability, then you gain control of him (say, before combat). He may have any of his creatures attack Gideon Jura (since he's still a planeswalker). Then Gideon Jura may block (since he's also still a creature). He may block any eligible attacking creature, including one that's attacking him.

Additionally, he will return to a Plainswalker at the end of turn, but remain under your control. His loyalty will be unchanged, etc. :D

When he changes back, however, if you use his third ability again he will not be a "Human Soldier Vampire". He lost that part of the Captivating Vampire's effect's clause when he returned to being a Plainswalker at the end of the previous turn.
Posted 23 December 2010 at 23:41

Alright cool. I was pretty sure thats how it worked, thanks guys!
Posted 24 December 2010 at 00:26

[QUOTE=surewhynot]When he changes back, however, if you use his third ability again he will not be a "Human Soldier Vampire".[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that?

204.1a ... If an object’s card type is removed, the subtypes correlated with that card type will remain if they are also the subtypes of a card type the object currently has; otherwise, they are also removed for the entire time the object’s card type is removed. ...

As far as I can tell, the rules don't explicitly say whether the subtype will return if the associated type also returns, but that bolded section leads me to suspect that that might be the case.

If it is, then if Gideon becomes a creature again, Vampire will be among his subtypes, since the effects of Captivating Vampire's ability won't lose track of Gideon unless and until Gideon changes zones.
Posted 24 December 2010 at 18:02

[QUOTE=Aneximines]Are you sure about that?

204.1a ... If an object’s card type is removed, the subtypes correlated with that card type will remain if they are also the subtypes of a card type the object currently has; otherwise, they are also removed for the entire time the object’s card type is removed. ...

As far as I can tell, the rules don't explicitly say whether the subtype will return if the associated type also returns, but that bolded section leads me to suspect that that might be the case.

If it is, then if Gideon becomes a creature again, Vampire will be among his subtypes, since the effects of Captivating Vampire's ability won't lose track of Gideon unless and until Gideon changes zones.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...Yeah you're right. In order for the Captivating Vampire's entire effect's clause to be continuous, (maintain control) all parts of the clause must be continuous as they are continuously checked. So yeah, he does stay a vampire when he turns back.
Posted 24 December 2010 at 19:24

Alright, so what I got out of that is I obtain control of him, however if I use his 0 ability, he is not a Vampire correct?
Posted 24 December 2010 at 20:40

[QUOTE=rsweeney56]Alright, so what I got out of that is I obtain control of him, however if I use his 0 ability, he is not a Vampire correct?[/QUOTE]

I believe that he will be Vampire (as well as Human Soldier) every time he is a creature until he leaves the battlefield (at which point the effects Captivating Vampire's ability will lose track of him).
Posted 25 December 2010 at 20:28