Discussion Forum

Is this legal?

Hey guys,

I was just playing a magic game with my buddy, and he pulled a move that bugged me, so I want to make sure it's legal.
He named all his attackers, I assigned one of my 2 defenders. We had already agreed who was attacking and I had already assigned who was defending (and what damage I was planning on taking) when he whips out an instant that gives one of his creatures +3/+3 (giant growth), thus killing my creature. However, I wouldn't have defended with my creature if I knew that he was going to whip out that card to kill him. Or is that the point?
I just feel like it was a cheap move, like we had moved forward in the game and then we 'went back in time' when he pulled out giant growth.

How do the cards stack in this case?

Thanks!:manag:
Posted 01 January 2011 at 08:40

[QUOTE=Jaggednib]Or is that the point? [/QUOTE]

yup, what you're describing is pretty much the entire point of Magic. =)

He was casting his spell in reaction to the Declare Blockers step which is perfectly normal. here's some reading that should help clear up how the mechanics work out:

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Combat_phase

http://mtgsalvation.com/794-priority-and-the-stack.html
Posted 01 January 2011 at 17:08

Great, thanks for clarifying and for the links!
Posted 02 January 2011 at 00:57

The rules from my understanding have now been changed so that after the declared blockers staged instants and abilities can't be played. This isnt to stop giant growths from happening but if someone attacks with a 1/1 llanowar elves and then you say not blocking they cant say tap timberwatch elf make the llanowar elves a 25/25 and your now dead because common sense would say you'd put a blocker in the way to stop yourself from dying.
Posted 09 January 2011 at 10:41

you understanding is incorrect, players can still cast instants and activate abilities in response to the Declare Blockers step.

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Declare_Blockers_Step
Posted 09 January 2011 at 14:07

After reading the rules I'm correct unless you can show me where. In the declare blockers step nothing stacks so if someone does pump something up big i can then declare a defender. In the combat damage phase you cant use the triggered abilities or cast instants so you couldnt for example say after no defenders declared and your then in your combat damage phase couldnt say "before dealing any damage i'll play giant growth".
Posted 09 January 2011 at 16:07

[QUOTE=dannycolledge] In the declare blockers step nothing stacks[/QUOTE]

what are you basing this on?

here's how combat works:

-Declare Attackers step
attacking player declares his attacking creatures, priority is passed and both players can cast spells or activate abilities in response to this, once this stack is resolved then combat advances to the next step:

-Declare Blockers step
defending player declares which creature is blocking which attacking creature, priority is passed and both players can cast spells or activate abilities in response to this, once this stack is resolved then combat advances to the next step:

-Combat Damage step
this is where the rules have changed, no longer allowing players to respond to this step. damage is all resolved simultaneously without using the stack.

maybe watching this will help clear things up for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d55FQgut1E
Posted 09 January 2011 at 16:17

yeah thats what i meant. You cant boost an attacker no more just before combat is dealt. I only found out in a tournament when i put firebreathing on a goblin and boosted his attack to 5 after the blockers were declared and they said they wasnt blocking the 1/1 so i thought i'd activate his firebreathing enchantment and got told i couldnt do that since the rules had changed this was bout 2-3 months ago. So is that true or were they cheating.
Posted 09 January 2011 at 16:31

the change in question was made for m10, about 18 months ago, and only pertains to damage resolution no longer using the stack.

at this point I can't really make this any clearer than I already have, sorry.
Posted 09 January 2011 at 16:39

[QUOTE=dannycolledge]for example say after no defenders declared and your then in your combat damage phase couldnt say "before dealing any damage i'll play giant growth".[/QUOTE]

I think this is where you're getting it wrong.

in this case the Giant's Growth isn't cast in the Combat Damage step, it's case in response to Declare Blockers. it will resolve before the game proceeds to the Combat Damage.
Posted 09 January 2011 at 16:43

Thanks for the help clearing it up. I know what you mean by stacking in the combat damage step its made it a lot clearer.
Posted 09 January 2011 at 16:45