Discussion Forum

Stalemates?

Magic is a game of winners and losers; and with chess, I'm sure it's actually harder to get all players to die at once, especially since that's not the intention of playing in the first place.

If you've encountered that big all-players-die moment, post it here! Especially if it came out of nowhere.

Mine:

Four friends and I were playing a game of planechase, and everyone was still somehow at a decent life total, and on the sixth turn. No one missed a land drop, and some were at some very stable board positions.

Suddenly, we're on Glimmervoid basin. What this plane does, is if a spell could target one thing, it targets everything it could.

So, what does the newer player using a red-white landfall/burn deck plays what?
...Roiling Terrain.

Destroy target land. Then Roiling Terrain deals damage to that land's controller equal to the number of lands in their graveyard.

Only way I can figure it, is the card gets multiplied, and they all go off simultaneously. All lands are destroyed... and then, they take damage equal to the number of lands they had... multiplied by the total lands they had. So... every single player took at least twenty damage, and lost all their lands.
Quite a memorable ending for a casual multiplayer.

Anyone else got stories to share?
Hopefully not, say, involving everyone using a Platinum Angel.
Posted 06 January 2011 at 15:53

[QUOTE=FwippDeathspeeder]Suddenly, we're on Glimmervoid basin. What this plane does, is if a spell could target one thing, it targets everything it could.[/QUOTE]

actually that is not how this plane card works.

the one spell(in this case Roiling Terrain) does not target more cards, instead it creates COPIES of the spell for every possible target.

this difference is important because the scenario you described doesn't actually create a stalemate.

why? because copies are all individual entities on the stack and they will resolve in a specific order, not simultaneously.

which means one player will at some point be the only one still alive and the state-based check will make this player the winner before the rest of the stack resolves and kills him.
Posted 06 January 2011 at 16:31

Are you sure? I've always thought the rules were that players died at end of phase...

I mean, it's not like the copies generated to kill that final player get ignored?
Posted 07 January 2011 at 05:30

[QUOTE=FwippDeathspeeder]Are you sure? I've always thought the rules were that players died at end of phase...[/quote]

It was like that many years ago.

Now, though, players lose a state-based action.

[quote]I mean, it's not like the copies generated to kill that final player get ignored?[/QUOTE]

The last copies never resolve because the game ends when there's only one player left.

Cool stalemates:

Transcendence + Platinum Angel + 20 or more life

Opalescence + Day of the Dragons (with nothing like Pandemonium that would end the game)

^these two "glitch" the game by causing it to enter an interminable loop

Prosperity, with a sufficiently high value for X

^of course things like Earthquake would work too but it's just twisted to have everyone die from too much prosperity (cool way to make this a win: Obstinate Familiar)
Posted 07 January 2011 at 09:15

Had a large multiplayer game where one person was playing a very quick Stuffy Doll deck. I was playing my Dirty Deck and he targeted me with his Stuffy Doll, so I put a Followed Footsteps on it and targeted him, and then eventually everyone else. The major reason the game was going this long is that everyone was playing on the defensive. Even my buddy who was playing his :manab::manar: Goblin deck was playing on the defensive. Then, things just turned stagnant because everyone was at or below 20 life and everyone's field presence was too large to deal with. So what happened? My buddy with the Goblins plays Skirk Fire Marshal and uses its ability. BOOM! Everyone dies. The Fire Marshal is stuck in a smoldering crater with a bunch of creepy dolls all around him. :D
Posted 07 January 2011 at 21:29

My friend had a retarded near infinite lifegain deck. He was in the hundred-thousands of life (Damn Beacons of Immortality) and I had a platinum angel that I had whispersilked, then played Indomitable Archangel, then whispersilked THAT. We decided to swing all out with everything every turn....each person took all the damage then laughed.....Then he fracturing gusted 30 minutes later.....
Posted 26 January 2011 at 02:59