Discussion Forum

Lifelink -- New and old

Have older cards such as Exalted Angel been errata'd to read "Lifelink" instead of "whenever [...] deals damage, you gain that much life." ?

Or, if for example, I cast Lifelink on Exalted Angel, are they two separate abilities and therefor would gain life equal to twice the amount of damage dealt?

I know multiple instances of lifelink are redundant, but would multiple copies of Soul Link on the same creature cause me to gain that much life multiple times?

I looked through the rules and could not find anything, likewise attempted to look through the Oracle card reference, but the page just seems to constantly reload... Probably just a local problem, but still.. could not check it..

Thanks in advance!
-Sav
Posted 06 January 2011 at 22:57

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]Have older cards such as Exalted Angel been errata'd to read "Lifelink" instead of "whenever [...] deals damage, you gain that much life." ?[/quote]

No, they have the older wording, which works (slightly) differently than lifelink.

When lifelink was first introduced, as a triggered ability, all of those creature were errataed to have lifelink.

But with the 2010 core set, they changed the way lifelink worked, so that it was no longer a triggered ability. Now, lifelink changes the effect the effect of damage dealt by the object with lifelink - in a addition to the damage's normal effect (reducing the life total of a player, being marked on a creature, and removing loyalty counters from a planeswalker), the damage also causes the controller of the object to gain life.

When they made that change, they de-errataed those older creature back to their original abilities (to preserve their exact functionality).

So, Exalted Angel does not have lifelink. It has a triggered ability.

[QUOTE]Or, if for example, I cast Lifelink on Exalted Angel, are they two separate abilities and therefor would gain life equal to twice the amount of damage dealt?[/QUOTE]

That's right. The lifelink ability would give you the life at the same time the damage is dealt. The Angel's innate ability, however, is a triggered ability and there is a small space of time between when the damage is dealt and when the life is gained.

[QUOTE]I know multiple instances of lifelink are redundant, but would multiple copies of Soul Link on the same creature cause me to gain that much life multiple times?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Things like Soul Link and Spirit Link still stack productively. They have triggered abilities that resolve one at a time, giving life equal to the damage dealt each time.

[QUOTE]I looked through the rules and could not find anything, likewise attempted to look through the Oracle card reference, but the page just seems to constantly reload... Probably just a local problem, but still.. could not check it..[/QUOTE]

The current Oracle text of Exalted Angel:

Card Name: Exalted Angel
Mana Cost: :mana4::manaw::manaw:
Converted Mana Cost: 6
Types: Creature — Angel
Card Text:
Flying
Whenever Exalted Angel deals damage, you gain that much life.
Morph :mana2::manaw::manaw: (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for :mana3:. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
P/T: 4 / 5
Posted 07 January 2011 at 08:50

Awesome, thank you for the explanation!

Soul Link is such an awesome card ^_^
Posted 07 January 2011 at 16:59