Discussion Forum

fear

Call me stupid but I'm looking through my rule book and I can't figure out what fear does. Can I get one of my fellow MTG nerds explain this to me?
Posted 07 January 2011 at 04:08

Creatures with Fear cannot be blocked except by black or artifact creatures.

There is also a newer rule called Intimidate which functions similarly, except creatures with Intimidate cannot be blocked except by artifact creatures or creatures that share a color with it.

I'm pretty sure Intimidate is replacing Fear since Geth, Lord of the Vault has Intimidate. If so, cards with Fear will still function exactly as described above.
Posted 07 January 2011 at 04:50

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]I'm pretty sure Intimidate is replacing Fear since Geth, Lord of the Vault has Intimidate. If so, cards with Fear will still function exactly as described above.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they didn't like using a keyworded ability that referenced a specific color. So they're not using fear anymore, just intimidate.

However, they made no change to the fear ability; Severed Legion, for example, works the same way it always has.

Here's the rule on fear (from the Comprehensive Rules):

702.33. Fear

702.33a Fear is an evasion ability.

702.33b A creature with fear can’t be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures. (See rule 509, “Declare Blockers Step.”)

702.33c Multiple instances of fear on the same creature are redundant.
Posted 07 January 2011 at 09:02

Glad to see they're not doing away with fear.. I always thought it'd be interesting to see a non-black, non-artifact creature with the keyword fear. On the other hand, an artifact creature with intimidate would likewise be interesting.

</ramble>
Posted 07 January 2011 at 16:53

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]I always thought it'd be interesting to see a non-black, non-artifact creature with the keyword fear. [/QUOTE]

Then behold Dust Elemental.
Posted 08 January 2011 at 02:30

Ooh! Very nifty :D I'll need to gank a pair of those sometime, awesome evasion on that.
Posted 09 January 2011 at 20:48