Discussion Forum

magosi, the waterveil question

I have an untapped magosi, the waterveil in play, and a garruk wildspeaker. i paid u, tapped magosi to put an eon counter on it. then i used the 1st ability of garruck to untap the magosi. i removed the eon counter and returned the magosi, the waterveil to my hand to take the extra turn. is this legal?
Posted 10 January 2011 at 01:14

Well yes and no. You can do all of that, but you won't get an extra turn...The other part to putting an Eon Counter is to skip your next turn, whichever turn that may be (extra or normal). So you take the extra turn, but then have to skip it :D
Posted 10 January 2011 at 01:30

does the second ability does not cancel the the skip a turn effect? because the second ability reads " take an extra turn after this one" . does the effect goes on stack as well? if you think abt it, First in, last out, you take an extra turn first then after that you skip a turn...
Posted 10 January 2011 at 01:38

yeah.. you're right, i've checked the rulings... it cancel each other out .. thanks for the reply though.. should have checked the rulings first.
Posted 10 January 2011 at 01:44

If you can generate another extra turn that you don't mind skipping, then you can wrangle "infinite" turns from that land.

I'm think specifically of Final Fortune in an Isochron Scepter.

500.7. Some effects can give a player extra turns. They do this by adding the turns directly after the current turn. If a player gets multiple extra turns or if multiple players get extra turns during a single turn, the extra turns are added one at a time. The most recently created turn will be taken first.

500.10. Some effects can cause a step, phase, or turn to be skipped. To skip a step, phase, or turn is to proceed past it as though it didn’t exist. See rule 614.10.

If you time things so that the turn created by Final Fortune is the next turn you would take, you skip that turn (and Final Fortune says you lose at the end of "that" turn, not your "next" turn) and take the normal, non-lethal turn turn generated by the Waterveil.

(the same trick would work with Time Vault instead of the Waterveil, though that particular card has easier combos with artifact-untapping abilities like those of Voltaic Key and Tezzeret the Seeker)
Posted 10 January 2011 at 10:51

[QUOTE=Aneximines]... Final Fortune in an Isochron Scepter. ...[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's nifty. I learn something new every time you post :P

Similarly, Rings of Brighthearth will allow you to take two extra turns, and skip only one of them, provided you have a means of untapping Magosi. (Rings is also a lot cheaper than Isochron, though which is more useful is up to debate)
Posted 10 January 2011 at 16:20