Discussion Forum

Planeswalker question

A few questions about planeswalkers.

1) In another thread a I read this:

"They can be attacked by creatures. When you declare attackers, you can have each one attack either your opponent or one of your opponent's planeswalkers. Your opponent declares blockers as usual - his creatures can block an attacking creature whether it's attacking him or one of his planeswalkers. If a creature that attacked a planeswalker gets through, its combat damage removes that many loyalty counters."

Does this mean for example, I turn round and say "I'm attacking the planeswalker" and attack with 3 creatures, if my opponent only blocks 2, the third one would attack the planeswalker and take out his loyalty points instead of my opponents life points?

2) "306.1. A player who has priority may cast a planeswalker card from his or her hand during a main phase of his or her turn when the stack is empty. Casting a planeswalker as a spell uses the stack. (See rule 601, “Casting Spells.”)"

and

"A player may activate a loyalty ability of a permanent he or she controls any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty during a main phase of his or her turn,"

I'll be the first to admit i only have a very loose understanding of what the stack actually is but me and my friends got confused by this. To my eye it looked like you could only cast a planeswalker spell/ability before casting any other spells and then since that uses the stack it moved onto the combat phase. Then my friend pointed out there was a second main phase per turn, does that mean you could then play all your spells and whatnot post-combat phase or are we completely wrong about the whole thing?

3) And now a couple of ability questions:

Venser, the Sojourner
"-8: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast a spell, exile target permanent."

How long does this emblem last? Can it be destroyed?

Ajani Goldmane
"-6: Put a white Avatar creature token onto the battlefield. It has "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to your life total."

Does this creature live after goldmane dies? Does its power/toughness go up and down with your hitpoints after its been summoned?

I think thats all I needed to know.
Posted 10 January 2011 at 09:44

1) Yes, this is correct. Similarly, if you attack with three creatures and cast Overrun for example, all damage would be dealt to the planeswalker, even if you inflict more damage than it has loyalty counters.

2) This just means it functions identically to casting a sorcery spell or another permanent without flash. You can cast it at any time during your own main phase, so long as there are no other spells on the stack. Once a stack is created, only instants, spells with flash, or activated abilities may be added to that stack. Once that stack resolves, if it is your main phase, you can proceed to cast the Planeswalker, or use one of its abilities. You can also use its abilities the turn it entered the battlefield.

Also, your main phases do not end until you declare the end of the phase. You can play any number of spells, and use as many abilities as you want during either main phase, provided you have the mana to do so.

3) Emblems last until you either win or lose the game. They cannot be targeted by spells or abilities. They are essentially a replacement to "Until the end of the game..." effects. For example, look at the two prints of Elspeth, Knight-Errant (Links direct you to MagicCards.info: The two prints are from the Duel Deck and Shards of Alara)

Regarding Ajani, yes and yes. Just like any other effect that creates a creature token, the token becomes its own permanent one on the battlefield.

Hope this helps :)
Posted 10 January 2011 at 16:32

Thanks for you response!

So if i lay a planeswalker/use its ability i can still cast other spells and creatures that turn then?
Posted 10 January 2011 at 16:49

[QUOTE=Lord_Azael]So if i lay a planeswalker/use its ability i can still cast other spells and creatures that turn then?[/QUOTE]

That's right. Your main phase doesn't end until you're ready for it to. You can keep casting spells and activating abilities for as long as you have the resources and desire to, before moving to the next phase.

You cast artifacts, creatures, enchantments, planeswalkers, and sorceries one at a time; you have to wait until one resolves before casting the next. That's a result of the "empty stack" requirement those spells have.

The stack is a way to keep track of "responses" with instants and (most) activated abilities.

For example:

* I cast Iona's Judgment, targeting your Visara the Dreadful. Iona's Judgment goes on the stack.
* In response, you activate Visara's ability, targeting my Baneslayer Angel. Visara's ability goes on the stack on top of Iona's Judgment.
* In response to that, I activate the ability of my Mother of Runes, targeting my Angel. Mom's ability goes on the stack on top of Visara's ability.
* You then respond by casting Reckless Spite, targeting my Mother and Angel. It goes on top of the stack.
* Neither of have any more responses. The stack at this point looks like this:

Reckless Spite
ability of Mother of Runes
ability of Visara
Iona's Judgment
BOTTOM

When neither of us respond, the top thing on the stack resolves: Reckless Spite destroys my two creatures and you lose 5 life. Now the stack looks like this:

ability of Mother of Runes
ability of Visara
Iona's Judgment
BOTTOM
(note that the ability of Mother of Runes is still on the stack and will still resolve, even though the Mother herself is no long around)

Now we each get a chance to respond again. If one of us cast or activated something, it would be put on the top of the stack.

But neither of us does, so the top thing on the stack resolves: the Mother's protection ability resolves but its target, the Angel, is no longer legal because it is no longer on the battlefield. Therefore the Mother's ability is countered by the rules and does nothing.

Then another chance to respond, and when we don't the next thing resolves: the ability of Visara, which is also countered because its target is no longer on the battlefield.

Then finally the Judgment resolves and exiles Visara.

See, it's a "stack" because the spells/abilities just stack on top of one another, and resolve one at a time, from the top down.
Posted 10 January 2011 at 19:38

My question is with garruk can I tap two forest use his ability to untap those two lands and still have the mana from the first floating?
Posted 24 January 2011 at 18:05

[QUOTE=Masilva24]My question is with garruk can I tap two forest use his ability to untap those two lands and still have the mana from the first floating?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Just spend it before starting combat or ending your turn, or it will go to waste.
Posted 24 January 2011 at 18:59